“Thorsmork & Eyjafjallajokull gets two thumbs up.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 258 Activities in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Iceland Luxury Tours offers premium travel services and tours in Iceland. Let us plan your whole trip to Iceland or simply book individual day tours. We are a DMC who offers all the classic tours in our luxury super jeeps or SUV's and the popular super jeep adventure tours to the glaciers, volcanos and interior highlands for individuals, small and large groups alike. Our staff has extensive experience in organizing custom and event tours for small and large groups. If you are looking for a true experience in Iceland you came to the right place. We are looking forward to hearing from you, Sveinn Sigurdur Kjartansson, Founder, Owner and Manager.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
“Thorsmork & Eyjafjallajokull gets two thumbs up.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

My friends and I booked the Thorsmork and Eyjafjallajokull Volcano tour with Sveinn. We went in one of his fantastic superjeeps, which was incredibly clean and comfortable. Sveinn allowed us to stop at a gas station for snacks and introduced me to a most delicious chocolate bar that I ate for the rest of my trip in Iceland. Sveinn was very personable, lovely to be around and quite the joker. He knew how to drive through glacier rivers - which is a skill, by the way, we were very impressed. Sveinn stopped at each interesting landmark and had a lot to tell us about each individual thing we saw. He said we could stop, get out and take pictures. We stood at the Eyjafjallajokull glacier for a while, enjoying the atmosphere - he never rushed us. Everything we saw, Sveinn had interesting information about. He was the best tour guide I have ever encountered, knowledgable and so proud of the beautiful landscape. I would recommend taking a day in your schedule to go on one of his tours, you will not be disappointed. I will be sure to do another tour when I'm back in Iceland.

Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“6 Day Private Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I booked three continuous two-day private adventure trips (6 days overall) with Iceland Luxury Tours during mid July 2012 as part of our eight day visit to Iceland. I booked approximately 30 days ahead of time with Sveinn, which was a bit tight given the peak summertime visit. Before starting our trip with ILT, we took a 3+ hour helicopter tour of the Golden Circle route (via heli.is)--which was invaluable to get an overview of Iceland via air--including landing on the Langjokull glacier. Our excursions with ILT covered the Kjolur route, Snaefellsnes penninsula, and Landmannalaugar/Hekla/Jokulsarlon. Our guide for the first 4 days was Stefan; Palli was our guide for the other 2 days. HIghlights of the trip included--snowmoblining on Langjokull, freshwater scuba diving in drysuits (Thingvellir), the hike at Kerlingarfjoll (i..e, a primordial experience), zodiak boat ride in Jokulsarlon, whitewater rafting on the Hvita river, glacier climbing, private hot springs finds (i.e., from Stefan's previous days as a fishing guide), and whale-watching/fishing for cod off northwestern Iceland. On the boat trip, we didn't see any whales unfortunately but my wife hauled in 2 different cods weighing more than 10 Kg each. I personally handled hotels in Reykjavik--the best being Radisson Blu where we stayed one night on 2 separate occasions. The Hotel Holt where we stayed the first 2 nights was a "big miss" (old and outdated). Sveinn arranged 3 of the overnights in the country. Hotel Budir was a wonderful highight (including a world-class restaurant); the Icelandair hotel in Klaustur was also very nice. Both hotels were fully booked online---so Sveinn was able to weave some Icelandic magic to get us a reservation last minute. The only weak point in the trip was the private cabin in Kerlingarfjoll--which was very run-down & expensive. This disappointment was fixed with next morning's hike with Stefan to a volcanic hike--one of the top hikes we've taken on any trip worldwide. Note: As Iceland's weather, even in the summertime, can be mercurial the guides were in constant contact with Sveinn to change itineraries throughout. Palli is President of Reykjavik's kayaking club and was selected for an excursion to Jokulsarlon. Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate to tow the kayaks due to high wind, but we made the best of it with Palli on different activities including the glacier cliimbing. Overall, booking a private tour is worth the extra money as you can customize your trip and go off-route. ILT's Toyota Land-Cruiser (with monster wheels) was our home away from home--and quite dependable on the gravel/dirt roads in the inner country. Overall, a very nice vacation! We would strongly recommend this for anyone wanting to get the real feel of Iceland.

Visited July 2012
Charlottesville, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
“Snaefellsnes Peninsula”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

After some confusion about our booking, our tour started about an hour late, but was well worth the wait. (If you book tours far in advance it may be worthwhile to reconfirm them a day or two ahead.)
A large part of the credit for this tour goes to our guide, Lulli. He was very knowledgible, enthusiastic and personable. He made the tour a lot of fun. The Snaefellsness Peninsula, a couple of hours north of Reykjavik, has been described as "Iceland in Miniature." That is a fitting description as it has samples of almost everything: a glacier on top of a volcano (Snaefellsjokull), fishing villages, beautiful and intersting lava formations, even a few trees. I have read several of the sagas and the eastern part of the peninsula is the setting of a few of them, which added to the interest for me. Lulli is also a good storyteller and conversationalist, so we learned a lot about icelandic tradition and culture as well.

UK
“Fantastic Day Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We went on a private tour with Svenni to Landmannalaugar and Helka. It was fantastic!
We drove up Hekla, through the snow as far as we could and the view from the top was superb. Then on to Landmannalaugar, at times it felt like we were on another planet (possibly alongside the Mars Rover) but with the most spectacular views.
Svenni is a fantastic guide, his knowledge of Iceland and the stories he told us during the day were great, he even provided an itinerary for us for our day out to the Snaefellsness Peninsula which was very kind.
Overall we had a great time and I would not hesitate to go with him on another day out on my next visit to Iceland.

Stonington, Connecticut
46 attraction reviews
“Our Trip to another planet”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Okay, here is the thing…while making our plans I just could not decide which one of Svenni’s tours we should take. I had read a magazine article about swimming at Landmannalaugar and we really wanted to go there rather than The Blue Lagoon but The Golden Circle is the Golden Circle!

So, I did all my research, read everyone’s reviews, went back and forth with my husband about which one we should do and finally, we said “Fine, we’ll take the hit to our wallet, do BOTH tours (separate days), and we’ll help future travelers make this decision!”. In other words, we were taking one for the team!

Fast forward several months and I am now sitting in front of my computer, completely and utterly at a loss for words. After all that, I can’t tell you! BOTH tours were fantastic, both were riveting, and both tours will be fond memories that we will store in our minds for years to come. Sorry everyone, I am of no help with your decision!

Visited July 2012