“A lot of locals so it must be good...” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“A lot of locals so it must be good...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

And it was. We ate Italian both nights that we were in Iceland. Not crazy about the local horse or whale so Italian it was.

This restaurant is fairly small but we were seated quickly. There seemed to be quite a few locals dining here which I like. The staff were friendly and spoke perfect English.

We ordered basic Italian fare and were not disappointed. The dinners came quickly and were tasty. No complaints here

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Encinitas, California
“Manga! manga!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

So Reykjavik is the last place I thought we'd find darn good italian food, but I was pleasantly surprised! Three of us were absolutely starved after sending the day on a bicycle, then horseback riding tour, so needed some good food in a hurry; Rossopomodoro did not disappoint. We started with a bottle of the house red wine: better than average for the price but nothing to write home about. We skipped an appetizer and went right for the pasta: penne w/ pancetta & pollo; & penne w/ pancetta, mushrooms & a cream sauce. All of us loved our entrees. We followed this w/ the hot chocolate lava cake & ice cream. The cake was a solid presentation & taste but the ice cream was excellent, light & creamy. I would go back again. Mangarie!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Over-salted with non-existent service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We went here because it looked like a decent semi-casual place and it wasn't crowded but still busy. It was supposed to be a final romantic evening in Reykjavik before we headed to the UK.

The Food

Frankly, we should have left when the bread that came looked like cheap sliced "French" baguette you can buy at some grocery stores in the US and Canada. There were bottles of oil to pour into small dishes to dip your bread in. Cute, but the bottles leaked if not held the right way (which you can only find by leaking oil all over you and the table). They had small openings for the air to escape. Openings clearly put there with the tip of a knife. Classy.

We didn't order the starter because we wanted dessert. I went with a mushroom ravioli and my partner had a plate of spaghetti carbonara. It took a while to get the food to us. I didn't time the whole thing but it was quite some time. The ladies at the table beside us didn't get their food until after we were nearly finished ours and they had been there before us. Our food was salty. Really salty. Half of it tasted like a salt lick. I was going to say something, but there was no one there to say anything to. The house wine we ordered was closer to vinegar or the kind of cheap wine you get in tetra packs than a nice and lovely wine. Maybe dessert was going to be better. Or so we thought until another table near us received theirs. They looked awful. So we decided to just get our bill and leave.

The Service

There were eight to ten tables seated while we were at the restaurant. Two women were serving and two men appeared to be assisting them. While we got prompt replacements of the water carafes we emptied (water in Iceland is delicious), we got a nasty look when we asked to share the half bottle of house wine. Not exactly sure why. Maybe because two tables surrounding us were on bottles three and five respectively.

For a restaurant barely even half full, we should not have waited for food as long as we did. Especially not since both our dishes were pasta dishes. However, we did not wait as long as the ladies beside us, which is lucky. They looked famished. What got me though is that I am accustomed that the wait staff comes to check a few minutes after the meal has been served to make sure everything is okay. Cultural differences aside, I have been to Iceland twice now and it appears to be the norm there, too. No one came. The dishes were overly salted and our waitress was nowhere to be found. Nor was any of the other wait staff. At this point we are starving and our food is threatening to get cold, so we eat. We briefly saw the other waitress and ours deliver desserts to another table but walk swiftly away from us without looking.

It isn't until well after we finished out meal that our waitress came back, mumbled 'how was everything?' and before we could answer genuinely was off again. It took another 40 minutes to get our check. She didn't come back to ask if we wanted desserts. She didn't come back to ask if we wanted the bill. And they weren't busy. I saw her carry trays of olive oil condiments across the restaurant, clean the till they were punching things in on, do everything in her power to not serve tables really. I tried to make eye contact with her several times to wave her over. She purposefully looked away and walked across the restaurant out of sight. At this point we just wanted to leave and it appears we weren't the only ones. Someone else was wandering through the restaurant looking to pay and complaining about how long it took. Again restaurant not half full, two tables only drinking.

Finally, my partner got her attention, paid way too much for the meal and we got out of there to find her some delicious ice cream which made the night much better. Reykjavik is an expensive city if you want a nice sit-down restaurant, which is fine. We were expecting expensive. However, in all the other places we had been to, expensive also meant amazing food, lovely service, and a wonderful atmosphere. Unfortunately Rossopomodoro delivered on none of these things with the exception of the price tag. If it was a cheaper establishment, I probably would be giving a rating of Average, but not at those prices.

If you're looking to spend money and get amazing food and service, do not go here. There are many other places instead (Caruso for example, just make a reservation on busy nights).

• 2 of 5 stars Food
Espoo, Finland
“If Italian you can´t charge whatever...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We tried to find in Happenings evening some good restaurants, but results were zero. At least we found Rossopomodoro, an Italian restaurant and found ourselves in queue, after some time we were seated in waiting room, and saw that some others (local?) who were later in the queue got table before us. With this ok, no bad feelings.
Food was like always, ordinary, nothing special, tables were too many, the atmosphere was not enjoyable at all. Service below mid level, prices were high, too high, even in Reykjavik price scale. Now we have been in this restaurant two times: first and last time ;-).

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ottawa,Canada
“Overpriced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I rarely eat italian food in restaurants because I always feel cheated, i.e. I pay high price for dishes I can do at home, oftentimes better. This was the case with Rossopomodoro. I started with the $16 calamari. For that price, I got 7 calamari rings that were tasteless, but really tasteless, both the calamari and the bread crumb.

The meat lasagna was excellent, but again I could do as well at home, and at $20, it was not a bargain, even if accompanied by a salad (with no dressing).

The house wine was the only thing reasonablym priced and was very acceptable.

Service was OK