“Ample room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars

You added Reykjavik Backpackers to your Saves list
Reykjavik Backpackers
Laugarvegur 28, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Bergamo, Italy
“Ample room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

PROs: we found our room quite clean and so were the toilets. The atmosphere in the pub was nice. CONs: wifi only available in the main building. I got bitten by a bee! :( I have no more things to say but I got to reach 200 digits to forward my feedback so... is it enough? Let's see...

• Stayed August 2013

95 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at this hostel for three nights during our stay in reykiavik. We booked a double room with shared facilities. When we arrived they told us that the room was in the new building at the back of the hostel, just renovated. However when we entered the room they still had not made the room, so we had to go at reception to inform them to put bedlinen and serviettes and clean the bin. Apparently they did not care to make the room before our arrival, they seemed even irritated that we asked to empty the bin. Then we had to go back a second time to provide hangers which were missing in the wardrobe....well they said they had none and they even not bothered to go and look for others, whether some of the other guests had taken them in their rooms, or just to go and buy new ones, this was the minimum as there was no place to hang coats and jeans. The room was not cleaned during our stay, neither the bin was emptied. When we asked to provide a hairdryer they said first they had none, then they found one, but with an American plug, but when asked to give us the adaptor for European plugs, they replied quite badly to go and buy to the hardware store just opposite the hostel. The front door was difficult to open, when asked to help, they said again, oh but it is easy, turn to the left and then to th right! Like if we had not tried already before for a while! We had to insist to get the reception guy to show us how to do rather than just telling us. It was a continuos struggle as no service was provided and people are reception were just not bothering to provide any. Luckily we slept well, as there was no noise coming from the main street, a problem if you are staying in the main building. Also there was no Internet wifi in our building so we had to go to reception to get wifi. I hope in the meantime they solved this. Bathroom was clean at least in our building.

I won't stay back there, although central, but I think the price was too high compared to the service provided. Get good smiling people at reception, and good cleaners who bother to clean the rooms and install some hair dryers in the bathrooms! It costs nothing, but helps!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

We had booked a double room which consisted of two single mattresses end to end in a room some 5 feet wide on the 4th floor up a steep concrete stairway. We had to queue to use the toilet or shower as there were a number of rooms sharing. Shower curtains were stained and hanging off the rail, mats always soaking and dirty. We had to 'hire' towels as we should have realised we would need our own. They were probably clean but very old and worn and stained. We stayed a Friday and a Saturday night so we expected noise particularly as the location is so central. However, the noise continued all night until about 7am, people shouting, screaming and blaring music. I do acknowledge the very good reviews on this site and can only imagine that other dorms on lower floors were better?

Room Tip: Not for couples, maybe try a dorm on a lower level
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The main point is the location, the staff are helpful and friendly and generally speaking we can say it is clean.
If I need to point a negative point it will be the price, as it makes no sense if you are 2 person to pay 75 euro night and share the room with 2 other people. Anyway, I would recommend it if you like hostels with young vibe.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed 6 nights total during the high season in late July, and Reykjavik Backpackers was the cheapest option I could book which was about EUR100 per night. As a hostel for EUR100 per night it is definitely not cheap BUT that was the high season and all hotels (even 2 star hotels) were starting from EUR250.

So, I stayed in a private room with 2 beds with my mum, sharing bathroom and toilet. The bathroom was basically clean, the toilet was with slight bad smell, I beg it was due to the lack of air circulation. But it was acceptable still. There were 2 bathroom and 2 toilets on each floor, so no need to line up at all during my 6-night stay.

The staff was helpful, friendly and very very good english skills. They gave us many traveling tips e.g. recommend a great grilled seafood restaurant, telling us supermarket and harbour locations etc. They have staff in the reception 24 hours so whenever you need help, just go down and they will help you.

They also have a well-equipped kicthen on the 4th floor, the staff will clean the kitchen regularly. Frying pan, pot, plates, cups, kettle, knifes....basically you get everything you need, except food of course, you gonna buy your own food :)

Location, very very very convenient. The hostel is situated on the main shopping and dinning street, you have no worry about food if you dont plan to eat in the hostel. Yes, they have a onsite restaurant (or bar) and the price is just same as the other restaurants. I personally not prefer eating breakfast in the same property just because I want to explore more in the city, and if you want to take breakfast there, it is around EUR7-9 per person. I took breakfast outside, and I paid around EUR25 for 2 persons (2 sandwiches, 1 lobster soup with bread and 1 coffee). So up to your preference, eating breakfast in the hostel indeed is cheaper because it is buffet. Other than restaurant, you can also go to supermarket called "Bonus", the food price is Scandinavian price, so if you compare other EU countries, food is still a bit high. But if you gonna save money, buy food in Bonus and cook at hostel!

Room size and Bed....Wow, Iceland...they have land, increasing land! The room is the biggest hostel room I have stayed. I had 2 suitcases, 2 backpacks....and I am not an organized person but the room, after I made it messy, still spacious! The beds were comfortable. The hostel provided free (and clean) bed linen and sheets.

Some downsides,,,
1. The room door is very heavy...so when people open and close their doors, it is quite noisy.
2. No lifts....I stayed on the 2nd floor luckily so I didnt need to take my 2 heavy suitcases all the way to the highest (4th) floor by walking up the narrow stairs. And same reason of no lifts, every morning people taking down their suitcases when they check out...and it is noisy too. Well be fair, the noise usually last for 10-20 mins only, so if you are a good sleeper, no worry at all.
3, No staff will clean your room before your check out, and Iceland is full of lava rocks and sands, our room was quite dirty after 3-night stay and we needed to get the vacuum to clean our own room. It will be better if they arranged cleaning for staying periods over 3-night.
4. The window can only open a bit, morning and night it is good enough with some cool air. But if you go back to the room in the afternoon or before summer sun set around 10pm, the room is quite dull without fresh air or wind. Well be fair again, who really spend the day-time time in the room but not going out??? (okok, I did once because I slept late...haha!)
5. I told the staff I would arrive in the midnight of 31 July, and I did hope to be charged half rate for the night of my arrival (I arrived the hostel 1am, 31 July). But they told me they needed to charge me from 30 July, this is indeed fair because they reserved me the room from 30 July....just I would wish the hostel charging me half rate for the night of 30 July (or the morning of 31 July) and at the same time they can also charge people at extra 50% of daily rate who wish to have a late check out, so they can offer flexibility to everyone.

Overall I would say this hostel is excellent. Those minor downsides did not affect my happiness and satisfactory of this 6-night stay!

Room Tip: If you carry suitcases, request a lower floor when you make a booking, otherwise you need to walk up...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed at Backpackers for six nights and my friend and I couldn't have been happier with our choice. Great value for the very convenient location in the center of the city.

The Rooms
We had a room with two double beds, but there are rooms available with four and six beds as well (for those that are looking for lower cost per night). Beds were comfortable, common areas were clean. For the amount of time spent in our room (basically to only crash after a long day excursion and then some night time drinks), the accommodations were just fine. If you keep your expectations in check - you're at a hostel, not a hotel - this place does not disappoint.

Staff
The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. They recommended different types of activities, places to eat, things to see, renting a car, etc. And, they book the excursions for you! Just let them know what you're interested in doing for the day and they'll pick up the phone and book it for you. They'll also let you know how/where to get where you need to go (sometimes the tours pick you up from the hotel and others require you to take a bus to meet the group).

Location
Located on the main drag of the city. Shopping, cafes, restaurants, bus stops, bars are steps away.

General Tips
- If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. There is a busy and fun bar downstairs and the hostel is located on a busy city street.

- Going out to dinner in Iceland is expensive, so when you check in to the hostel the staff let you know where the nearest grocery stores are. There is a kitchen on the fourth floor that was well kept.

- Go to the happy hour at this hostel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

In not one to write a negative review as I feel trip advisor is usually used as a mechanic for travellers to vent their frustrations and qualms.

However after 5 months of backpacking through 3rd world countries I thought we had experienced it all. Until Iceland.

Out flight didn't arrive till 11pm which meant a late checkin was required. The hostel offers and boasts a 24 reception. Upon arrival the staff member was cold, unwelcoming and blunt.

We put this down to the time of arrival. However the following day we enquired about doing a tour through the hostel. The staff on reception was more than unhelpful and proceeded to treat us like we were idiots.

In summary, for the same
price of a nice hotel room in NYC this establishment is well below par and has left a bitter taste in my mouth of Iceland and what is to be represented of their people.

Appauling staff aside the rooms in the back house were clean and warm.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Reykjavik Backpackers? Share your experiences!