“The main point is the location” 3 of 5 stars

You added Reykjavik Backpackers to your Saves list
Reykjavik Backpackers
Laugarvegur 28, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Barcelona, Spain
“The main point is the location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

The main point is the location, the staff are helpful and friendly and generally speaking we can say it is clean.
If I need to point a negative point it will be the price, as it makes no sense if you are 2 person to pay 75 euro night and share the room with 2 other people. Anyway, I would recommend it if you like hostels with young vibe.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

94 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed 6 nights total during the high season in late July, and Reykjavik Backpackers was the cheapest option I could book which was about EUR100 per night. As a hostel for EUR100 per night it is definitely not cheap BUT that was the high season and all hotels (even 2 star hotels) were starting from EUR250.

So, I stayed in a private room with 2 beds with my mum, sharing bathroom and toilet. The bathroom was basically clean, the toilet was with slight bad smell, I beg it was due to the lack of air circulation. But it was acceptable still. There were 2 bathroom and 2 toilets on each floor, so no need to line up at all during my 6-night stay.

The staff was helpful, friendly and very very good english skills. They gave us many traveling tips e.g. recommend a great grilled seafood restaurant, telling us supermarket and harbour locations etc. They have staff in the reception 24 hours so whenever you need help, just go down and they will help you.

They also have a well-equipped kicthen on the 4th floor, the staff will clean the kitchen regularly. Frying pan, pot, plates, cups, kettle, knifes....basically you get everything you need, except food of course, you gonna buy your own food :)

Location, very very very convenient. The hostel is situated on the main shopping and dinning street, you have no worry about food if you dont plan to eat in the hostel. Yes, they have a onsite restaurant (or bar) and the price is just same as the other restaurants. I personally not prefer eating breakfast in the same property just because I want to explore more in the city, and if you want to take breakfast there, it is around EUR7-9 per person. I took breakfast outside, and I paid around EUR25 for 2 persons (2 sandwiches, 1 lobster soup with bread and 1 coffee). So up to your preference, eating breakfast in the hostel indeed is cheaper because it is buffet. Other than restaurant, you can also go to supermarket called "Bonus", the food price is Scandinavian price, so if you compare other EU countries, food is still a bit high. But if you gonna save money, buy food in Bonus and cook at hostel!

Room size and Bed....Wow, Iceland...they have land, increasing land! The room is the biggest hostel room I have stayed. I had 2 suitcases, 2 backpacks....and I am not an organized person but the room, after I made it messy, still spacious! The beds were comfortable. The hostel provided free (and clean) bed linen and sheets.

Some downsides,,,
1. The room door is very heavy...so when people open and close their doors, it is quite noisy.
2. No lifts....I stayed on the 2nd floor luckily so I didnt need to take my 2 heavy suitcases all the way to the highest (4th) floor by walking up the narrow stairs. And same reason of no lifts, every morning people taking down their suitcases when they check out...and it is noisy too. Well be fair, the noise usually last for 10-20 mins only, so if you are a good sleeper, no worry at all.
3, No staff will clean your room before your check out, and Iceland is full of lava rocks and sands, our room was quite dirty after 3-night stay and we needed to get the vacuum to clean our own room. It will be better if they arranged cleaning for staying periods over 3-night.
4. The window can only open a bit, morning and night it is good enough with some cool air. But if you go back to the room in the afternoon or before summer sun set around 10pm, the room is quite dull without fresh air or wind. Well be fair again, who really spend the day-time time in the room but not going out??? (okok, I did once because I slept late...haha!)
5. I told the staff I would arrive in the midnight of 31 July, and I did hope to be charged half rate for the night of my arrival (I arrived the hostel 1am, 31 July). But they told me they needed to charge me from 30 July, this is indeed fair because they reserved me the room from 30 July....just I would wish the hostel charging me half rate for the night of 30 July (or the morning of 31 July) and at the same time they can also charge people at extra 50% of daily rate who wish to have a late check out, so they can offer flexibility to everyone.

Overall I would say this hostel is excellent. Those minor downsides did not affect my happiness and satisfactory of this 6-night stay!

Room Tip: If you carry suitcases, request a lower floor when you make a booking, otherwise you need to walk up...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed at Backpackers for six nights and my friend and I couldn't have been happier with our choice. Great value for the very convenient location in the center of the city.

The Rooms
We had a room with two double beds, but there are rooms available with four and six beds as well (for those that are looking for lower cost per night). Beds were comfortable, common areas were clean. For the amount of time spent in our room (basically to only crash after a long day excursion and then some night time drinks), the accommodations were just fine. If you keep your expectations in check - you're at a hostel, not a hotel - this place does not disappoint.

Staff
The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. They recommended different types of activities, places to eat, things to see, renting a car, etc. And, they book the excursions for you! Just let them know what you're interested in doing for the day and they'll pick up the phone and book it for you. They'll also let you know how/where to get where you need to go (sometimes the tours pick you up from the hotel and others require you to take a bus to meet the group).

Location
Located on the main drag of the city. Shopping, cafes, restaurants, bus stops, bars are steps away.

General Tips
- If you are a light sleeper, bring ear plugs. There is a busy and fun bar downstairs and the hostel is located on a busy city street.

- Going out to dinner in Iceland is expensive, so when you check in to the hostel the staff let you know where the nearest grocery stores are. There is a kitchen on the fourth floor that was well kept.

- Go to the happy hour at this hostel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

In not one to write a negative review as I feel trip advisor is usually used as a mechanic for travellers to vent their frustrations and qualms.

However after 5 months of backpacking through 3rd world countries I thought we had experienced it all. Until Iceland.

Out flight didn't arrive till 11pm which meant a late checkin was required. The hostel offers and boasts a 24 reception. Upon arrival the staff member was cold, unwelcoming and blunt.

We put this down to the time of arrival. However the following day we enquired about doing a tour through the hostel. The staff on reception was more than unhelpful and proceeded to treat us like we were idiots.

In summary, for the same
price of a nice hotel room in NYC this establishment is well below par and has left a bitter taste in my mouth of Iceland and what is to be represented of their people.

Appauling staff aside the rooms in the back house were clean and warm.

• Stayed August 2013
Lisse, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Quite a cool place which has its own bar. Good location in the citycentre between all shops, bars, cafes etc. It was a pretty loud place because of all the cafe's next to it. But if you're up for that, its a great spot.

We had a troubles with the locks on the doors and the bathroom was quite unhandy.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Staines, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Didnt stay at the hostel but did use the 'bunk bar' during the 4 hours of happy hour, everything is two for one, coffee, beer and other alcoholic drinks. The bar could really capitalise on this trade but dont, which is a shame, they had an outside seating area at the back which was not used. The bar is very small and many of the occupants were possibly hostel guests who had 'taken over' the bar with a mass of electrical equipment, playstations, laptops,ipads galore which take up a lot of room in an already cramped space. Maybe the management need to look at using the bar - as a bar - not as a 'lounge extension'. Perfectly located right in the heart of the pedestrianized zone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Me and my brother stayed here last week for one night whilst following our football team who had a game in Reykjavick. It was our second stay in Iceland and we spotted this place last time and where impressed with how it looked and its location.

We arrived early in the morning (10am) and the helpful staff checked us in (taking remainder of payment) but informed us that we could not get in to the room until 2pm. This was expected however we where able to leave our bags in a secure room and use the facilities for a shower and to charge phones which was essential as we where meeting friends in town that afternoon.

We booked a private room at a very competitive rate and we where at the back of the hostel. There where 3 buildings which looked like houses and upon return to the hostel we didn't even have to go through recpetion to get to our room.

Perhaps because we where at the back we didn't have any problem at all with noise. The room itself was very clean and basic but that is all we needed. The showering facilities where shared but very very clean.

I couldn't recommend this place highly enough, friendly staff and very friendly residents too with a nice atmosphere. It was also the cheapest hostel I could find and as stated earlier in my review the location is absolutely superb.

I would stay here again if I am in Reykjavick again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Reykjavik Backpackers? Share your experiences!