“Wow! What a vacation” 5 of 5 stars

+354 8578804
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Iceland Encounter offers active adventures in the Icelandic wilderness.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
IL
9 attraction reviews
“Wow! What a vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I will echo what others have already stated: Iceland is very well suited for private touring, especially if you are going inland off of the main Ring Road.
We had one week in Iceland, and did the Glaciers and Waterfalls tour. Erling was very helpful and responded to my e-mails in a timely manner.
He took care of us and made all of the arrangements which was wonderful; all we had to do was show up and have fun!
For the 4 days spent outside of Reykjavik, our guide was Rakel and she was fantastic!
We saw all the major sites listed in the "Glaciers & Waterfalls" itinerary (Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle, the glacial lagoon), plus had many other special stops and activities (hiking, snowmobiling, horseback riding).
It truly was an incredible trip that we will not forget.
Thanks to Erling and Rakel for making it so fun and hassle free!

Visited August 2012

Signal Mountain, Tennessee
“Puffin Quest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

One of the best trips ever. Gilli, our guide, met us the first morning at the Icelander Hotel Marina in Reykjavik. Off we went (6 of us - 2 grandmothers, 2 parents, and 2 kids age 12 and 15) for seven days in a comfortable van for a leisurely drive to sites based on our interests - sea birds, glaciers, rift valley, horseback riding, history. Accommodations and food were excellent. Most memorable were Hotel Flatey on Flatey Island and Hotel Budir. If you plan a guided trip, ask for Gilli Gunnarsson - delightful, knowledgable, and easily accommodating to our diverse interests. Excellent value.

Visited June 2012
Washington,DC
4 attraction reviews
“Iceland Encounters is the best!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

I am a hard working travel agent who has worked with many tour operators and Iceland Encounters is at the top of my list. They got my clients hotel rooms in Reykjavik when I was unable to find any space at all for this June. No detail was too small ;such as giving us restaurant suggestions and then making the reservations.
Their fast response to my inquiry gave us a wonderfully planned itinerary with guided tours, transportation and hotels both in Reykjavik and outside of the city. They included hiking,biking, horseback riding snowsleding to name a few .

This is one stop shopping for a great Iceland adventure at its best. Do not hesitate to use them. I am so glad I did.

Visited June 2011
Toronto, Canada
15 attraction reviews
“The highlight of our trip to Iceland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

We spent three days on Superjeep tours we booked through Iceland Encounter, and they were the unqualified highlight of our trip to Iceland. On the first day we toured with one of the owners, Erling, and on the other two days with another guide, Ingi. Both were excellent guides and drivers. With Erling we toured The Golden Circle. He was knowledgeable, pleasant, accommodating and fun. Ingi took us on hikes, to glaciers, hot springs, waterfalls, a black sand beach and to see the Northern Lights. We felt that it was a privilege and stroke of fortune to travel about with Ingi, as he clearly loves the landscape and takes pride in showing his part of the world to others. Both guides did their best to make sure we had wonderful experiences, which we did. Our teenaged sons learned lots of geology. The landscapes we saw were amazing. We're sure that we had much greater adventures than would have been possible on a bus trip, and we are really glad we booked these tours.

Visited March 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Fantastic South Coast Day Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I booked a private 1 day tour of the south coast with Iceland Encounters the week before Christmas and would highly recommend them and will definitely use them again next time we are in Iceland. Kristin was super quick at responding to my initial response and really helpful suggesting what do/see etc. (all I knew was that I wanted to see a bit of Iceland's scenery and take my husband snowmobiling for his birthday!).

On the actual day we were picked up promptly by Erling who was a fantastic guide, he told us lots of interesting facts about iceland and pointed out lots of places of interest which broke up the long journey! We crammed lots into the day visiting a couple of beautiful frozen waterfalls, snowmobiling on the Myrdalsjokull glacier and visiting the black sand beaches. They even organised a stop at the lovely Hotel Ranga on the way back for cake and bubbly for my Husbands birthday!

The snowmobiling organised through Encounter Iceland was really great, we were taken up on to the glacier in massive super jeep and had a great guided tour, where we stopped off every so often for some photo opportunities! When we got back the snowmobiling guide offered to show us his home footage of the Eyjafjallajokull erruption, which was amazing!!

I would highly recommend Iceland Encounters, from start to finish everything was really well organised, we really enjoyed spending the day with Erling, getting to see some fantastic scenery and learning lots about the history, culture and other interesting facts about Iceland!!

Visited December 2011