“3 day tour to Landmannalaugar” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #71 of 258 Activities in Reykjavik
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Extreme Iceland Tour Operator! Extreme Iceland is a fully licensed travel agency that offers scheduled tours and private tours, both day tours and multi-day tours. We organize extreme winter super jeep tours, activity tours, day trips, longer tours, car rental self-drive tours, accommodation, all sorts of celebrations or just basically anything you can think of. A strong focus is placed on providing the best available service. The tours are operated by Extreme Iceland directly or teamed up with other accredited travel agencies of high professional standard. We specialize in tour design and travel operation for both scheduled and private tailor-made trips, summer or winter.
Sleaford, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“3 day tour to Landmannalaugar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We (4 of us) booked this tour having seen it advised on the internet and wanted to do something different to celebrate two special birthdays. We arrived in Reykjavik on Saturday 29th March 2014 and began our tour at 9am Sunday morning. The whole experience was amazing and we spent the majority of the three days laughing and joking with our tour guides Ragnar and Laulau and having a thoroughly enjoyable time. The scenery including the snow covered landscape, waterfalls, geysir and Pingvellir National Park were all part of our adventure. Some memorable moments were Ragnar's short cuts and directions across the snow when there were no roads to follow!! He is an amazing driver of a Super Jeep (which just getting in and out of was an experience in itself). Both Ragnar and Laulau were perfect hosts at the Lodge in Landmannalaugar and the food was traditional and plentiful.We tried it all even eating the Park Warden's cake!! We all enjoyed it that much that we are hoping to return to Iceland again soon and will definitely book again with Extreme Iceland on a different tour.

“Amazing tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have joined the a few tour in iceland but extreme iceland are the best service provider among the rest. A 2 days 1 night tour for south coat and jokulsarlon was great. I do enjoy and the hotel provided is clean and nice. After that I did join the caving tour and blue lagoon as well. Even its just a short tour but me and my friend were really enjoyed it. Tour guide is good and fun! Would highly recommend if ever there are friends who plan to visit iceland! Thank you extreme iceland for the wonderful trip!

Blackpool, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“A great half day trip experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We joined the Volcanic Veins - Caving Tour which was a very interesting lava tube to visit.

Pick up was prompt and our driver guide was Bjorn, who was a friendly, enthusiastic young man and informative about what the trip involved. At the cave we were given helmets, torches and gloves.

When we visited (end of March) it was snowy and iced up around the cave which made just getting in and out an interesting experience, with most of us half scrambling half sliding in on our bottoms! Once inside it is rocky and uneven underfoot but manageable if you are in reasonable fitness. On the walk you pass the remains of a sheep, thought to have become lost a thousand years ago. It is fenced off but you can see the ashes quite clearly. There are a couple of other fenced off sections, where tourists have removed parts of formations (cave candles) which is a bit sad that visitors would feel the need to do that. So if you visit - don't take anything from the cave!

At the furthest point in the tunnel, Bjorn asked us to switch off our torches - wow, complete and utter darkness and not a sound! You can return to the entrance via the same route or take a trickier path that does become very low - requiring crawling in sections. Bjorn checked we were all ok and off we went. Again it is quite strenuous but manageable if you are ok with small spaces and have no knee/back problems.

Definitely a worthwhile trip, Bjorn was a very good guide keeping an eye on various members of the group who were having to go a bit slower and explaining the geology to the tube as we went along. Its a later start than most tours (pick up around 10am) and we were back in Reykjavik for about 1.30pm so its a good trip to do if you have less time or have been out late for Northern Lights the previous night.

Northampton, United Kingdom
“Golden Circle and Caving Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

We booked both a golden circle tour (5th April) and a caving tour (7th April). The golden circle tour was fantastic, the guide was extremely knowledgable about the area and some of the sights were truly jaw dropping. A must if you are visiting Iceland for the first time.
The caving tour has fun and enjoyed having to navigate through some of the more difficult areas of the cave. Sadly however I found the guide to be slightly disappointing as he couldn't answer some of questions about how/why some of the caves formed and didn't make an effort to make sure people were ok. I would suggest going caving as it's wonderful to see a different side of Iceland although might be worth doing your own research before hand.

Visited April 2014
Ramsey, New Jersey
3 attraction reviews
“South Coast and Jokulsarlon - Two Day Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I initially booked with this tour because another tour I wanted to go on was full, and it was the only other tour I could find that went to Jokulsarlon (Glacier Lagoon) in the winter. Although I was really bummed about the other tour, I was really pleased with this tour and this company! I had such an awesome time and it was one of the highlights of my vacation.

I was on a 2-day tour with about 13 other people in one mini-bus and there was another mini-bus going at the same time as ours. Although we were on separate tours, we did see the other group once in a while and we also did the glacier walk with them at the same time. The small mini-bus (no wi-fi) was a comfortable ride but I’m petite and sat on the 2-seater side. If you are a little larger, the single seats may not be very comfortable for you.

Helgi (I hope I spelled it correctly) was our driver and guide. He told us very funny stories and interesting folklore, but also stopped talking at times to let people nap. He is also an excellent driver. As we were driving one stretch of the road, our coach got blown off the road down a snow bank! No one was hurt and neither was the coach. Everyone was super cool about it and we used our “rescue time” as a photo opportunity.

The choices for the places where we stopped were excellent. The scenery is a photographers dream! I saw waterfalls, Glacial Lagoons, seals, volcanic rock, basalt columns, black sand beaches, hiked on an iceberg, walked behind a waterfall and saw the northern lights dance (OK, it was really only a brief jiggle, but I saw them nonetheless)!

The little guest house that we stayed overnight was cozy and clean. It is located between a mountain and the sea; a perfect location for active Aurora Borealis viewing. Unfortunately, she did not appear the night we were there.

The only down-side was the dinner arrangements at the overnight guest house. It was confusing and not explained well. We were given the food options on the bus with the corresponding prices (since it was not included in the trip), but when we got to the place, it was a dinner buffet. I initially thought we would be served singly, so I just picked everything (I didn't know!). Ironically, the only thing I didn't get to eat was the actual thing I chose for my dinner. I also ordered dessert. Please note that dessert is an additional price! Everything was tasty so I didn't mind. There is only one place to eat dinner at the overnight guest house. Therefore, if you don’t want to eat here, you will have nothing to eat for dinner, unless you packed something or bought food at the gas station. Breakfast though was included.

All-in-all, I thought it was an excellent way to see the South Coast, meet new people and it’s really a good deal for the money.