“Superb tours and guide.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Operating only a few select daily scheduled tours which are always in small groups, Iceland Horizon is a small, family run tour operation with no intention of becoming a large bus company. Our philosophy has always been that you are travelling on a guided tour and the bus is just a means of transport, keeping the experience more personal, friendly and fun for both travellers and guides. We also arrange tours for groups wanting a private or individual arrangement.
uk
3 attraction reviews
“Superb tours and guide.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Second time with this tour company. I would not consider any other. David is a fantastic guide and has a wealth of knowledge about this country. we were really upset that there were only 2 of us for the Souith Shore Tour and that is not viable for the company, but David kept us informed and at the last minute found 4 others for this great tour, so off we went. Simply amazing, a wonderful tour, wonderful guide and we are so glad that others thought so too and we were able to do this spectacular visit to the South Coast.

Visited April 2011

Oakville, Canada
“Still Talking About it a Week Later!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

I was thrilled with everything I learned and saw on the Golden Circle Tour with David! It was my first trip to Iceland and it would not have been half as good as it was without the experience of listening to David on this tour and seeing the dramatic sights on a small tour with perfect timing!

After my first few days in Iceland I was still struggling to figure out this fascinating country, but after the tour with David I finally had an understanding of what Iceland is all about!

He shared stories and information with a great sense of humor! I was laughing when I saw Brussel sprouts at the supermarket this morning....remembering David's story of the day everyone in Iceland went out to buy them for the first (and last) time!

David also has a great way of explaining the geology and I didn't believe him that the last stop on the trip would be the best - but it was! Even after seeing stunning waterfalls and the impressive geyser, the scenery at "the divide between the continents" was not to be missed! And that was on a rainy day!

We did manage to see the Gullfoss waterfall while the sun was shining, thanks to David's cloud watching and decision to take us there before going back to see the geyser! We also seemed to manage to arrive at the sights just before the big tour buses got there!

I could go on and on about this tour....how we learned about the complexity of the Icelandic language, the history of the country and the developments in geothermal energy...but you will just have to experience it for yourself!

Midlands UK
5 attraction reviews
“Use this company for your Golden Circle tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We were initially a bit worried about being on a full minibus as we are both tall people and felt a bit squashed at first! But our worries soon disappeared as we settled down and listened to David as he told us all about modern Iceland and it's development in the recent decades. This talk was very interesting and made the first leg of the journey fly by! We stopped off at a power station to learn all about the potential that Iceland has to become a major player in the renewable energy future.

A quick stop off to stroke some Icelandic horses was also a nice added bonus! David took us to Gullfoss before the geysers as he said the weather was likely to get windier and colder later on. I doubt one of the bigger providers would have been so flexible.

Each of the many stops are only 10-20 minutes apart so the journey doesn't drag. The magnificent scenery on both sides helps as well!

David has judged how much time is needed at each stop so you never feel rushed or are left hanging around waiting to get back on the bus.

Visited April 2011
Trevor, WI USA
“Outstanding tour guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

I have done a fair bit of traveling over the years. There are times I have put in iPod headphones to tune out the drivel from the loudspeaker.

Not this time. David was the best tour guide I have ever heard. He has a pleasant voice and a wealth of information. He knows when to talk and whent to let the landscape speak for itself. I came away from his tour with a wealth of knowledge about modern day Iceland, geology, history, language and government. He was superb. I cannot recommend this tour enough. Despite rather nasty weather, the day flew by and was the highlight of our trip to Iceland. There are other companies available - do yourself a favor and ask for David Wellsbury's tour. You will not regret it.

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Having a Good Tour Guide is Important”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

We booked the Golden Circle tour for March 19th with Iceland Horizons based on the positive comments that we read about on TripAdvisors, and we are pleased to report that we were not disappointed! As mentioned by others, having David as the tour guide is definitely the best way to go because he is very knowledgeable and very articulate. We enjoyed his friendly personality, and we can see that he tries to provide the best customer experience. Besides the main attractions (the geysers, the waterfall and Pingvellir), the best part of the trip was when he stopped by the roadside to let the group spend some time with the Icelandic horses. Iceland Horizons also offer the advantage of being a small group, with a van of only 16-17 people at most per tour.