“"This place is like your best sweater, you never want to loose it"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Icelandic Bar (Islenski Barinn) - CLOSED

Icelandic Bar (Islenski Barinn)
Posthusstraeti 9, Reykjavik 101, Iceland (Miõborg)
+354 578 2020
Improve this listing
Bend, Oregon
4 attraction reviews
“"This place is like your best sweater, you never want to loose it"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

Every time I go back to Reykjavik, the Icelandic Bar is one of my favorite handouts to drink an Icelandic beer. Cool place, cool people, great location! Staff super friendly!
Bernard

Visited May 2012

6 attraction reviews
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

Great food, great service and great prices. Their hot chocolate and shellfish soup are to die for!

Visited April 2012
37 attraction reviews
“Excellent Traditional Fare”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

We stopped by Icelandic Bar after reading reviews and confirming with the concierge at our hotel that this would be an excellent place to try traditional Icelandic food. We decided to order off of the "Jar" menu for the table so that we could sample all the traditional dishes - you could choose between everything from Puffin to whale to Icelandic cheeses. I would definitely recommend to order one or a few of those if you're looking to try some unique food. Additionally, all of their soups were delicious and were a great supplement to the small plates we ordered. I would absolutely go back here again, and recommend everyone stop in. Also, if you plan on going out afterward, just around the corner is a main street full of bars and pubs to stop into.

Visited March 2012
20 attraction reviews
“Chill, relaxed bar/restaurant where you can read, write, play cards, eat, drink and be merry”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

We came in here to get out of a heavy snow fall (we had been walking around downtown for over 2 hrs in the snow and was frozen and hungry). We did not know anything about this place but dropped in as it looked interesting. They have a diverse menu for food and drink. We tried a variety of icelandic beers, and had puffin in a jar, lamb and skyr. It was all very good. we were there for probably over 2 hrs and was never rushed. The service was wonderful - the servers were friendly and told us about the food and beer. A lot of locals come here, along w/ tourists and it's a good mix. Reminds me of Washington Sq + a bit of East village. B/c of the Hotel Borg next door, it was easy to catch a cab afterwards. This restaurant is also across the street from the cafe paris, which is also very good.

Visited March 2012
New York
34 attraction reviews
“A nice taste of Iceland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We came here for dinner in search of some of the milder Icelandic delicacies on the menu, and, for the most part, were not disappointed. We sat down, and were quickly served, though the waiter didn't seem to have the thorough command of English that we were accustomed to.

For appetizers, we opted for their food in a jar offerings. My wife enjoyed her cheeses, but I was disappointed not to be able to sample the puffin, as it apparently ran out and the hunting season had closed. I chose the lamb in the jar instead, and it and the creamy mustard sauce it was in was nothing special.

For my main course, I ordered a fish stew, that, in keeping with the other stews that I had eaten, was supposed to be rich and robust. Instead, I received a pot of anemic-looking seafood swamped in a creamy, milky broth that I had no interest in eating. Apparently, this was lost in translation on the menu. They kindly let me return it, at which point I ordered the lamb shank that my wife had ordered. Icelandic lamb is something to behold - it's organic, free-range, fresh, and nothing like any lamb I've ever eaten in the States. The dish and its accompanying turnip puree were both spot on. We washed it down with some Icelandic beer that the waiter recommended; wish I could remember the brand because it was a dud.

As Nordic dinners go, this wasn't a bad one, but it didn't knock my socks off either. If you're by the lake and need a quick bite to eat that's a bit cheaper than some of the restaurants in the area, Icelandic Bar is a solid choice.

Visited February 2012