“An amazing home away from home in Iceland!!!” 5 of 5 stars

6 Eiriksgata, Reykjavik 101, Iceland   |
Ranked #6 of 108 Reykjavik B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“An amazing home away from home in Iceland!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

My family (me, husband, 11 yr old and 9yr old loved it here!!! The family room was a bit tight but it didn't matter since the owners and place are so terrific! Plus the beds were very comfy. Breakfast time was a total treat; delicious and a great time to chat with guests from all over the world while still in your pjs!!! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

While in Reykjavik, I suggest you skip the hotels while in the city and do yourself a favor by staying in THIS guesthouse.
Edda and her husband Runar own and run this guesthouse and they do an AMAZING job! Though Runar was away on a ski trip during our stay and I only had the pleasure of meeting him on the last day I can say that Edda was more than enough hostess for our 4 days there.
Edda was seriously one of the nicest people I have ever met in my entire life. She was extremely helpful and generous. Going out of her way to make us feel at home.
The breakfasts were ready and delicious every morning and included:
delicious oatmeal with a myriad of additions such as raisins, brown sugar, etc.
fresh, homemade bread
hard boiled eggs
several cheeses
jams, peanut butter
juice, coffee, tea and much more.
She was very courteous of people plans and very helpful beyond what is expected of a guesthouse host. She gave us weather reports, directions, dining suggestions and literally the clothes off her back. Two of the girls in my group weren't warm enough and she let one borrow gloves and the other a VERY NICE and expensive 66 North jacket for the duration of our trip, even AFTER we left her guest house to go along the ring road around the island. I returned it on the last day upon our return to Reykjavik and thanked her for letting us borrow it. My best friend would not have survived the wind and snow without it for the duration of our trip. Edda is hands down the hostess with the mostess! ;)
Aside from the 5 star service, the rooms were VERY clean and supplied all of our needs. Comfortable beds, warm showers and enough plug ins to charge all of our electronics.
The location is also one of the best in the city!!! Located literally across the street from Hallgrímskirkja, the tallest building and MAJOR tourist attraction in Reykjavik. Being next to the tallest building in Reykjavik made finding our way back "home" SUPER easy. Plus it is also walking distance for all of the shopping and dining location in Reykjavik. I couldn't have asked for a better place to stay while in Reykjavik. She was booked up on my last night there at the end of the trip so I stayed in a "very nice hotel". I can honestly say I would have rather stayed there again, hands down.
While in Reykjavik, you MUST STAY HERE!!! Tell Edda Hilda says hello please!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Cottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed here with my two children aged 8 and 11 years for 4 nights over Easter. It couldn't have been better. The guest house is very conveniently situated - we were able to walk to the harbour within 20 minutes, the BSI bus station within 10 minutes and the shops within 5 minutes. There was a small supermarket just 3 minutes away great for stocking up on snacks. The guest house is very close to Hallgrimskirkja which is at the top of a hill. This means that you are never lost, you can just look for the church and you know which direction to go back to the guesthouse. The guesthouse is also on the list of the main tour operators so a pick up or drop off for an organised tour is very easy. Edda and Runar were very friendly and helpful. Guide books on the breakfast table were great. The variety of foods for breakfast was wonderful. One of my children just wanted to stick to his usual breakfast cereals whereas my other child was happy to try local foods including the fresh breads, cake, cold meats, cheese and fish. We really enjoyed staying in a homely atmosphere and would recommend this guest house very highly.

Room Tip: Our room had a microwave, fridge, toaster, kettle and cooker hob. This was really helpful if you did...
Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hong Kong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

i stayed here for a total of 7 days just before and after my Greenland trip , the location is convenient to everything but is itself located in a quiet setting ,of course, the most wonderful thing to write home is its host Edda and Runar, they are so kind and full of passion , keep telling me what the locals will go and do yet never imposing . i feel like staying at friend 's home .

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed eight nights at Eric the Red and received a warm welcome from hosts Edda and Runar. I felt I was treated as a friend in an Icelandic home, rather than an impersonal hotel. As others have said, the breakfasts around a long communal table are wonderful with a good spread of cereals and porridge, home made breads, plus meats, cheeses, herring and fruit juices, yoghurt, jams and, of course coffee/tea. The comfortable rooms include fridges, so you can introduce an element of self-catering if you buy at the supermarket nearby. Runar insisted I try the rotten - sorry, fermented - shark with a shot of the local Brennevin schnaps. Only when he was sure that I had thoroughly chewed and swallowed this "delicacy" was I allowed to drink the schnaps!

Room Tip: You can book rooms through the usual internet channels, but if you call direct, Edda will help ensur...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

we got a double room with twin beds and private bathroom. room is spacious and clean. fantastic breakfast daily with assorted cold cut meats and cured fishes, along with the yummy home-baked bread, on a long table with other travellers where you can share sightseeing stories. i eat more than my fill every morning !

edda is the proprietor who is helpful in any questions you need answered. i flew on red-eye to reykjavik and on my first day there, she even kindly let me shower using the common bathrooms.

highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Northumberland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Runar & Edda are the most wonderful hosts...welcoming, hospitable and convivial.
The rooms are clean and more than adequate for a good stay.
The house is a gem...in a wonderful location...and exceptional value for money.
Breakfast is just the best experience!..plenty good food...great chat&discussion with fellow travellers and with Runar & Edda...around a huge communal table...brilliant!

Highly recommended and hope to return soon.

Chris & Sue

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Eric the Red Guesthouse? Share your experiences!