“Best Meal in Reykjavik” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Fiskmarkadurinn - The Fish Market

Fiskmarkadurinn - The Fish Market
Adalstraeti 12, Reykjavik, Iceland (Miõborg)
+354 578 8877
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Boston, MA
“Best Meal in Reykjavik”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The menu outside was tempting, so we went in, aware that many of the nicer places in Reykjavik require reservations. It was early (6:30), so we hoped we'd be able to get a table. The hostess was super friendly as she scoured her book. She apologetically told us she could seat us if we thought we could be done by 8 p.m. As we had our two kids with us, we told her that wouldn't be a problem.

We went downstairs to a trendy looking dining room. The service was really fantastic. The waiter was great at explaining all of the dishes that were new to us. Our kids are picky eaters, and the restaurant was quite accommodating in giving them plain steak. The waiter even suggested they split the portion, as it was fairly large (he was correct).

The meal began with a complimentary salmon sashimi on a fried noodle that was a great start. I had the langoustine on a shrimp cracker as an appetizer and it was delicious. But that didn't stop me from also picking at my husband's crispy wasabi salad, which was huge (together we couldn't finish it and still have room for our main course) and different (in a good way).

My main course was wolffish, which was lovely. I'd never had it before and the waiter did a great job explaining it, so it was exactly what I expected. I also tried my kids' steak and fries. Those were the best fries I've ever had--they were fried in an Asahi-beer batter of some sort. Yum!

My only regret is that, given our time constraint, we didn't have time for dessert. I hope to get back to this restaurant some day!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Duluth, Minnesota
“Langoustines Are Heavenly!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were here two years ago and made a point of returning again. The langoustines (little lobsters) are delicious and so is everything else. Great service, great atmosphere! Expensive but worth treating yourself once in awhile!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Desert Hot Springs, California
“best meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The atmosphere was great and the food was awesome! Several in our group said it was the best lamb they ever had--lobster was good--it was a wonderful relaxing place to eat--but get reservations!

Visited October 2012
Arlington, Virginia
“Excellent and open late”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This restaurant was recommended by the driver on our dive excursion. We had wandered towards old town late on our last night (a Sunday) and almost every restaurant was closed. We continued on into the old town and were pleasantly surprised this restaurant was still serving and it was after 10 pm. We were told there was a long wait for a table and asked to sit at the bar - we were seated downstairs at a counter with full view of the kitchen. When we saw the sushi chef prepare a plate - we ordered it on the spot. It was without question the best, freshest sushi we'd ever had. My wife thought her monkfiish was excellent, and I can recommend the lamb - best I've ever had. Considering how expensive everything else is in Iceland, this was an excellent value - quality food and service in every step. Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carlinville, Illinois
“Our first meal in Iceland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was recommended to us by our Icelandic driver. It was our first meal in Iceland and we all thought our best meal in all the different restaurants we visited. The bread was out of this world!

Visited August 2013