“Loved it” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hereford

Hereford
Laugarvegur, Reykjavik, Iceland (Miõborg)
Website
Neighborhood: Miõborg
Oslo, Norway
“Loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We had absolutely great service at this restaurant, which seems to be a relative word in Iceland. I had the filet mignon which was perfect and tender. The bernaise-sauce was a bit too salty, and my cousin had the entrecôte which probably was a bad cut. The price is not too bad, but I'm from Norway, but compared to what you're getting it's worth is. Overall -- if you like steak, this is definatly the place to go.

Great service, great filet mignon and great wine!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Seattle, Washington
“Delicious food; Poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We chose this restaurant on our last evening in Reykjavik, as we saw an advertisement for a 3 course meal offer the pervious evening. The atmosphere was great and just what we like when we walked in. It has dark, romantic lighting, the chef station was on display for all to see and there were cool wine and liquor racks on display. We were greeted promptly and asked to sit in the bar area while our table was prepared. Our coats were taken and we were led to our table. We found the menu to be very nice and also thought it neat that you fill out a card as to the specifics on how your steak is to be cooked, what you would like with your potato, etc. Everything we ordered was divine - lobster tails and lobster soup for appetizer, steaks for main (steaks cooked exactly how we ordered), and chocolate cake and fried ice cream for dessert. I cannot say enough about how delicious the food was. However, the reason I gave a 3/5 stars is strictly due to the poor service. All of our dishes were delivered promptly and in good timing, but there was no actual interaction between ourselves and the servers. To begin, when we ordered (by handing in the filled out card), the server didn't even speak to us, she just took the cards and the menus, even though I was still trying to decide on a wine. I felt pressured to hand the menu over, so I stuck with water. Each dish was dropped off without a word being muttered. Then, one of the waitresses just lurked in the section of the restaurant just waiting like a vulture to be able to remove any plates from the table. I ordered from the set 3 course menu, and my husband just ordered each of his dishes individually. When my dessert was brought out, he was just left hanging, as they never came to ask him if he would like one, too. They never bothered to ask, so he had to flag someone down to ask for a dessert. The same situation of no words spoken or contact made while we were paying as well. I just expected more interaction from the staff at such a nice restaurant....we paid $120 for the meal, the least you would expect is some friendliness. Despite my criticism of the service, I would still eat here again simply because we enjoyed the food that much, but I would try other steak houses in the area before going straight back to Hereford.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Consistently good food! Definitely a good place to go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This was our third visit here... We visited twice on our last trip to iceland four years ago and enjoyed it so much we were looking forward to going back. We weren't disappointed. My partner chose from the game menu and I chose from the steak menu.. Both excellent food, steak cooked as I asked, and very tasty. If you're offended by the fact that they offer whale, it's not the only choice, they have various other menus to choose from and if everyone stopped having whale then they would have no market to serve it too! We were told on good authority from a local that it is only the tourists that ask for it! The restaurant is in a convenient location in town. We will definitely go back when we return to Iceland (which we hope to do soon!).

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester
“Very nice restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We went here as it was recommended by our tour guide who works for Mountaineers of Iceland, and we wanted to try some genuine Icelandic foods.

I had the lobster tails and a steak, my partner had the whale menu which consisted of whale, puffin, and a few other local delicacies.

All in all, it's a lovely restaurant, great service and overall, the food was melt in the mouth!

In comparison with other restaurant's in Reykajik, it wasn't too bad, but still nearly £100!! Worth it though!

If we go back to Reykjavik, I would definitely go back to Hereford's!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bamberg, Germany
“Poor food, overpriced”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I went to this restaurant Christmas night, looking for a nice Christmas meal. I ordered the lobster tails as a starter and tuna steak and my friend ordered lamb. The lobster was very good, but we were not offered proper silverware. Both of us were offered only steak knives and forks for the entire dinner, even thought none of us had ordered steak. And the nice Christmas dinner ended there. The tuna was horrible, the cut was old and chewy, overcooked (I had ordered it rare), and served very cold. The lamb was ok, but overcooked also and had probably only half of the portion the menu advertises. The waitresses seem to be very pissed to be working, and basically threw the dishes on us. We only stayed in this restaurant because there were no other eating option nearby for Christmas night.

• Visited December 2012