“Good hotel with very helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hafnargata 37, Keflavik 230, Iceland   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Keflavik
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Good hotel with very helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I stayed two nights at this hotel recently having led an earth science expedition around Iceland. The staff were helpful and friendly; my room had everything I needed and was clean. I had to get an early morning flight back home and was amazed to find breakfast and hot coffee supplied at 5am, along with transport to the airport! I would definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I arrived for a 3 night stay, having picked it based on the reviews on Trip Advisor which have never steered me wrong before. We had misgivings immediately on arriving because the building seemed run down, and so we asked at the desk if we could see a room before checking in. The woman at the desk who I later learned was the owner, didnt seem to like that, but opened one up. Well we were appalled. Bare bare bones of a room. Stark. My friend noticed it was dirty and felt we would be expected to make our own bed since the linens were stacked at the end of it. The drapes were 3 segments of thin white fabric that were never going to block out the light which wouldnt end until very late in Iceland in August. We told the woman behind the desk that we wouldnt be checking in, that the room was not satisfactory and unlike the pictures on the internet. She told us at first that we were obligated for the first night. She got unpleasant about it, so we walked outside to talk because we felt that was unfair. I wish now we had accepted that and moved on. The Tourism Office was across the street, so we went and complained and told our story. She called the hotel on the phone 3 times over the course of the next hour pleading our case. Finally I walked back over just to confirm that our reservation was cancelled...we didnt want to have to pay even more. Now the woman was furious. She said we had complained loudly about her hotel and other guests had heard. Not true, we were the only people in the tiny lobby. She said we were trying to ruin her reputation, that no one had ever complained before. She almost yelled at me. I tried my most reasonable skills from dealing with the public in PR and said I just wanted to make sure that our reservation was cancelled. Then she screamed at me, "you cannot cancel, you must pay for the whole thing..." And she jumped on the phone. I stood there for a few moments in shock and then left. I've never been treated so rudely by anyone especially someone dependent on the public for income. When I told the story at Tourism, they said that there had been other complaints about the hotel. Now my friend who was an executive assistant in her career and used to making and canceling reservations, tried and spoke with the manager on the phone, who constantly interrupted her and refused to budge. On the advice of the Tourism Office, we checked in at the Icelandair Hotel up the street. The rooms are new, clean and comfortable, with blackout drapes. The staff couldnt have been nicer to 2 now exhausted travelers. Within the hour, I opened an email from visa that a $900 charge had gone thru for 2 rooms at the Hotel Keilir. Even I was startled that they would actually feel that was fair and go thru with it. I doubt that there is much that I can do about it (tho I intend to try) except to warn people off. This hotel is not what it is depicted to be, forget the reviews.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

The staff at Hotel Keilir was very accommodating. I emailed earlier in the week to arrange an early check-in time and when we arrived at about 0700 in the morning, we were soon given our key. This allowed my wife and I the flexibility to give our four kids a nap since we had just crossed seven time zones. When they awoke, we were close to the shore for a relaxing walk and found dinner nearby. But what made this such a wonderful experience, there was a dining area by the lobby with a refrigerator containing some yogurt, bread, meats, etc. that we could access at 0130 when the kids woke up hungry. That was such a stress relief as we didn't know of any place to find food for our young kids. And if the kids are happy, good chance mom and dad are happy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I had a very long layover and booked this hotel last minute just for the night. I arrived after midnight and the staff and front lobby service was amazing and beyond helpful and accommodating. The room itself was cozy, clean and exactly what I needed after a long flight, not to mention had a beautiful view of the ocean outside my window. I had an excellent stay at this hotel and would recommend to any traveler venturing to Iceland! I wish I could have stayed at this hotel longer! Thanks again!

• Stayed July 2014
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I was travelling on my own and needed a place to stay in Keflavik. I was lucky enough to stumble upon Hotel Keilir. The staff were so helpful and lovely, and the room was warm, comfortable, modern, clean and quiet with great views of the sea. The hotel is really handy for Iceland's international airport - being only a 5 minute drive away, and also for the music festival 'All Tomorrow's Parties' (ATP) held in the summer. You can walk to the festival site in 40 minutes, or take a short cab ride there. The Blue Lagoon is close by too. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Redmond, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

We had booked and paid for a room elsewhere, and arrived at midnight to find the first hotel had sold our room. We were directed to the Hotel Keilir, where the owner welcomed and accommodated us. Clean, simple room; nice breakfast in a cheerful dining area; the loan of a power adaptor and hairdryer; a family business. The owner kept our bags for us after check-out since our flight was later in the day, and she somehow got us a ride to the airport at no charge. A very nice stay, and we'd definitely book here again. The exterior of the building is nondescript so look for the big "hotel" sign.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This hotel in Keflavik is very near the airport whereas the trip from Reykjavik can be tedious very early in the morning when most of the flights leave.
It is on the main road, and the day we visited there was a music festival. They asked what time our flight was and put as in a quiet room (we were leaving at 5.30am) as the music and festivities were expected to go on all night. The room was surprisingly quiet even with the window open, and people still roaming the streets when we left in the morning.
Hard to judge the hotel as we barely saw it, but it absolutely suited our needs in terms of a quiet night and convenience for the airport.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back have a lovely sea view, and are very quiet. Bear in mind though that there is...