“good service, good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Keflavik
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vatnsnesvegi 12, Keflavik 230, Iceland   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Keflavik
Malmö, Skåne Län, Sweden
“good service, good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

This hotel is quite modest and simple in decor, but comfortable beds, nice and quiet and very friendly helpful staff. The restaurant was a pleasant surprise, they didn´t have anything vegetarian on the menu but provided me with a very good meal in a short time.
The free shuttle service to the airport is great!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Flew in from Canada, with a 1 hour delay from Icelandair we landed at about 1am. This hotel was so close to the airport, probably around a 10 minute drive, that it was such a relief to be able to sleep right away. The next morning we woke up ate breakfast and started our journey to glacier lagoon.

Breakfast was a great selection of continental.
Bed comfortable
Good size for a one nighter.

It wasnt the most updated or modern hotel we have every been too, but it was comfortable.

There was some sort of construction noise right outside our window in the morning, not sure if it was because of the location of the hotel. But it didnt bother us as we were leaving anyway.

Only pet peeve, why does every hotel in iceland give two blankets for a large bed? Just a bit annoying when trying to cuddle at night LOL

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I went to Iceland on a business trip. It was all done on very short notice. I have to confess I tried to get booked into another hotel first but they were full. I am so glad that I booked this hotel. I travel often and this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. It was so warm and welcoming. The staff are fantastic. There was one girl in particular. a receptionist with long black hair. I didn't get her name. I lost my contact details for a business meeting with a company I was having the following day (Icelandair). This girl went the extra mile and not only got me through to the company but straight through to the contact I was going to meet. The only info I gave her was the name of the company and the persons first name and this company employed hundreds of people. She saved me so much hassle and aggravation. Well done Hotel keflavik for employing such well trained and helpful staff. The hotel is spotlessly clean. It is also well placed. There was a little harbour close by, within walking distance. There were also shops and restaurants close by. I tried a few of these and the food was lovely. I tried to book the hotel restaurant on the last night of my stay but unfortunately left it to late and they were fully booked up. This was a shame, the restaurant looked really beautiful. The other advantage of staying here is they will organise transfers to and from airport. I also used the gym and the sauna in the hotel. Once again this was of a very high standard. If ever i was returning to Iceland I would definitely stay at this hotel. PS I almost forgot to mention the breakfast. This was excellent. One of these dishes was cheese and toast topped with a spicy meat. Absolutely delicious. There is also a machine in the foyer that distributes free teas and coffee.

Room Tip: I stayed at the front of the hotel on an upper floor. Lovely views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Plymouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

this was a last night hotel for us, before our 8.15 flight. We had expected not to have caught breakfast but it is available from 5am - a real bonus, and everything you could possibly imagine: smoked Salmon, herrings, cured meats, cheese, english cooked breakfast, cakes/pastries, breads, fresh fruit etc etc. Would have like to have stayed grazing for longer!

We had a small suit for our family; not really as grand as it sounds, but perfectly adequate for our purposes. It, and the bathroom were clean and there would have been a pleasant sea view if it had been daylight whilst there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Peasmoldtown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

For iceland, this hotel is not too expensive, and its location only a few minutes' drive from the international airport is a major plus, especially if you have a very early arriving or departing flight. The rooms vary. Some are luxurious and fully modernized, whereas others are more basic, with old fashioned windows that let in a terrible draught, meaning that on a windy night you have to have the heating up high to compensate. The restaurant merits its staus as #1 in Keflavik, but note that it offers no vegetarian main-courses, opens only at 6 p.m. and is closed on Sunday. We found the hotel breakfast to be excellent, and the staff friendly and helpful, yet not at all over-bearing. On balance, I'd recommend Hotel Keflavik, but probably not for more than a first and/or last night in Iceland.

Room Tip: At least SOME rooms facing south seem to have been upgraded
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your favorable comment and constructive criticism on our Hotel. We're glad you had a pleasant stay and that you recommend it to your fellow travelers in Iceland but here are my short notes and reply:

You mentioned that some rooms are luxurious and others are basic. We are renovating and upgrading all of the rooms and we have upgraded more than half of the rooms at Hotel Keflavik - so we could say that over half of the rooms are "luxurious". The other half will most definitely be finished this winter. So soon we will have all the rooms luxurious for our guests. But please note that during low season we are most days able to give every guest a newly decorated room.

Concerning the drought in your room - I would highly appreciate it if you could let us know which room you slept in so we are able to check the problem and fix it.. we are terribly sorry for this inconvenience.

And with our restaurant. We do have it open from 18-22 like most restaurants in town and most restaurants in Reykjavik (during weekdays) and extend the opening hours on saturdays if needed. But we are considering opening it all year round on sundays. As we usually have one day of the week closed during winters. The menu however is not of a large scale and is limited to focus on great ingredients and quality. On our menu we however notice that we can do changes on the meals and even prepare ones not listed as long as we have the materials available. So vegetarian plates are always prepared on demand.

I'm pleased that you liked our breakfast! We always put tremendous effort into it.

All - in all I hope you take our replies in to consideration as we took yours and take our invite to come back to us during your next trip to Iceland and enjoy another night with us. Maybe we are able to get you to stay 2-3 nights and explore the surroundings like the blue lagoon, the Reykjanes Peninsula, Viking World and more

Best regards,
Steinþór Jónsson
Hotel Manager & Owner
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Hotel Keflavik is really a nice hotel. I stayed there with my wife on the way to New York and is hotel offer so much more than a regular airport hotel does. The receptionist was very helpful and friendly offering all the help you could ask for. He recommed the Blue Lagoon and it was was perfect. The hotel it self has a very cosy restaurant offering all kind of food. The room was good size, clean and modern.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor seaside and it was great
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chilliwack, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I am a solo senior lady and I stayed at the hotel for one night on my way to Paris. I particularly choose this hotel as I wanted to spend one day/night in Iceland.
I arrived a little late for the breakfast hour, but the manager invited me to join the staff who were having breakfast. My room was on the 3rd floor facing the sea. The room was comfortable, nice duvet and linens, very clean and had a small fridge and safe. I enjoyed a nice lamb dinner in the Solarium that evening. The complimentary breakfast had an excellent assortment of meat, cheese, breads and desserts.
I felt very safe and during the morning walked along the shore front and then stopped in several shops. The hotel is situated only 4 kms. from the airport and provided complimentary taxi back to the airport in the morning. I paid $2250 kronas for the taxi from the airport, about $20. CDN. Expect to pay a little extra in Iceland for food and accommodations.

The staff are very accommodating, spoke excellent English and I enjoyed my short visit. I would recommend the hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Keflavik? Share your experiences!