“Good location, pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Keflavik
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vatnsnesvegi 12-14, Keflavik 230, Iceland   |
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Keflavik
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Good location, pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here during a stopover to the US and it was great. They paid for a taxi to the hotel from the airport (be careful as they will only pay one-way). I had emailed them in advance and they kindly arranged my trip to the Blue Lagoon. Nice rooms, clean, quiet, and a fantastic breakfast!

My only issue was that the opening times of the restaurant are fairly restricted so I didn't get the chance to try a local dish - finding food in the local area for lunch was virtually impossible because it's such a quiet town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Andalusia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

OK. I understand. Many, if not most, guests just pass through Keflavik just after landing, or just about to take off, at Keflavik International airport. And this is an ideal hotel for this kind of traveller.

I have stayed at Hotel Keflavik a number of times. It has always met my expectations fully. Indeed, even better than that. The hotel is kept up to date by timely renovations [this time the rooms closest to the lift (elevator) were having their beds and bedding upgraded]. Our room was spacious and had just enough closet space for our travelling clothes. The bed was fine. The drapes were good. The TV worked. The en-suite bathroom was basic but clean.

Breakfast is something most guests talk about, and so shall I. Not only is there a wide range of breakfast goodies, they were constantly replenished as needs arose. And the best part? -The breakfast room opens well in time for travellers to stoke up before their [usually* complimentary] transfer to the airport in time for flight check-in.

The dining room is well appointed and has a wide menu of standard hotel fare. Service is good and the staff seem to be able to cope in a number of languages.

I have mentioned a breakfast room and a dining room. So what's with the review's title? Surprisingly, for me at least, there is no facility in the hotel for having lunch. My wife and I arrived at (late) lunch time and had to go out in the driving rain to find a place open for lunch. (We found a good place with a buffet table just around the corner from the Icelandair hotel just up the road).

* the word "usually" denotes the hotel's offer: only one transfer to OR from the airport is included in the room price. So its a good deal for a stay on arrival or departure, but less good for a one-night stop-over.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Our family of five recently spent 24 hours in Iceland. We checked in about 7am (for a small extra fee) and had a large buffet breakfast. The hotel helped me locate a rental car and the agent was there shortly after I checked in. The hotel manager on duty was helpful and friendly. Our room was ready and we were able to take a much needed nap. One of the reasons we decided on an Icelandic layover was to adjust to the European time change before we arrived in Paris. Our room was clean, quiet, and comfortable. After our nap, we drove to the Blue Lagoon. It is beautiful and relaxing. We then drove into Reykjavik for dinner. We went to bed early to ready ourselves for an early flight. I hadn't quite adjusted to the time change and woke up around 3am. I went down to the lobby to try to workout. The gym didn't open until 530. The woman at the front desk was kind enough to let me use the office computer to print out our boarding passes and kill some time. In the midst of this, I got acquainted with a small group of Russian aerospace engineers and a test pilot who were still out celebrating the promotion of one of their colleague's (comrade's). They ended up co-opting me into their celebration with an odd and helpful combination of vodka and espresso shots. The gym would have been nice, but I was bright-eyed and bushy-tailed for our 7am boarding to Paris!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
jerusalem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Very convenient place to stay near the Keflavik airport.Very clean and nice decorated rooms.Good food and variety of vegtables in breakfast. Good food served at dinner.A good place to start your trip to Iceland.Nice view from rooms.Helpfull staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Staten Island, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We will without hesitation recommend this hotel to our friends and family for their fabulous breakfast, comfortable room, and most attentive staff. A special thanks to hotel manager Steinpor Jonsson for his kindness and for taking such good care of us. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Halmstad, Sweden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel is ok. It is qualitywise slightly below the Icelandair hotel next door but the prices tend to be lower so I often choose this one over the other (I frequently go to Iceland). I stayed here with my two sons (age 16) in one of the family rooms on the top floor (easily sleeps 3 in one double bed and one large sleeping sofa). It was quiet. The rooms are not spacious so don't plan to spend much time in them. The bed sofa was not made up when we got in (late in the evening) but they fixed it quickly. The personnel is ok.
We stayed here because we went early in the morning to the blue lagoon, before heading in to Reykjavik. I see no reason to stay in Keflavik except if your coming in late and plan to go the blue lagoon, or if you have a really early flight in the morning.
I would not take a detour for the breakfast. It is rather uninspiring (but not bad).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Buyer beware. Only advantage is that the hotel is near the Keflavik Airport. The bad news is that the non-smoking rule is a joke -- we were given 2 different rooms on different floors that smokers were in process of stinking up the floor. When we complained, the front desk person just respond "yeah, well -- people some disregard the smoking policy". But she also had no plans to reinforce the policy.

So, because of the smoking issue, our experience was so bad and it makes it difficult to overlook the other problems with the hotel: Rooms are small, outdated. The hotel is not adequately staffed (see above comment about smoking). The restruarant is small and could not accommodate us. The TV is old. There's no blow dyer. There's no shampoo soap. My recommendation: stay in Reykjavik -- do not stay in this dump of a hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am the Hotel Manager and owner at Hotel Keflavik. I was troubled when readying your review. First of all, i‘m glad that you were able to enjoy one thing about our hotel – the location. Other than that I‘m able to easily notice that you were not so happy with your stay at all.

The smoking rule is no more our policy thena law in Iceland. Smoking bans in hotels , restaurants and bars is first of all an anti-smoking law put in place by the Icelandic government. But we also do have on top of that a non smoking policy with ways of reinforcement for example with a smoking fine of 145 EUR. But you have to understand that this is hard to reinforce by the reception staff that happen to be on the shift during the time of the smoking, and just find out which room just by the scent out on the hallway. They were right, that there are always going to be people who violate the rules – but the only way for the hotel to reinforce the policy and Icelandic law is to have the maids inspect this when cleaning and this is the most effective way to do so.

I‘m sorry that you also felt that your rooms were small and outdated. We have during the last year put hundreds of thousands of dollars into renovation – and as you hopefully could see during your stay in some aspects, for example in tiling on the exterior and more. We have also renovated half of the rooms in the last winter and half of the bathrooms.

It is vital for us to know when you stayed and possibly names and or room numbers so we can investigate this further. I have noticed a booking for two rooms which was on the same date as a smoker problem, these were booked for the 26th of June. Please let me know if that was your reservation. It‘s also important for us to check why there wasn't a hairdryer and other amenities in the room! There should always be a hairdryer and should also be a wall mounted soup which, is hard to understand for me why it wasn't in your room.

But just for your information – there is no competitor of ours which has higher staff/ guest ratio or higher quality TV sets than us.

If you'll anytime stay in Keflavik again - please let me know and we'll try to put something nice together for you and give you an upgrade to compensate for your stay. You can also contact me please at steini@kef.is if youd want to give me some more information about the stay as so we can improve and maybie compensate further

Been to Hotel Keflavik? Share your experiences!