“Great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Keflavik
Lewisburg, Pennsylvania
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We had some difficulty with the guest bed and the shower (and the wifi has issues), but otherwise my stay was pleasant. The breakfast is great and the staff is very welcoming. The board displaying whether or not flights are on time at the Keflavik airport is a nice touch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 15, 2012

I'm glad you enjoyed the stay at our hotel and I'm also happy that the staff was welcoming and that the breakfast was able to exceed your expectations. It would be really nice though if you could send us information on when you stayed and in what room so it would be possible to have a look at the bed and the shower. Recently we have been doing vast renovations on the hotels plumbing to ensure a higher pressure- and quality shower. We will have to look at this matter to ensure our guests experience the most quality during their stay.

Again: thank you very much for your review and for staying with us. I hope I'm able to see you again at Hotel Keflavik!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

My young daughter and I had a lovely stay at the Hotel Keflavik. Arrivals and departures to/from the airport are often at unsociable hours, but the hotel staff made every effort to accommodate. The breakfast buffet is fabulous, particularly as it opens at 5 am. It is worth renting a car if basing yourself in Keflavik, as the buses into Reykjavik don't run very often, and there is some beutiful countryside around the area that you would otherwise never see. Our room was very comfortable, and perfectly suited to what we needed. I would recommend Hotel Keflavik wholeheartdly.

Stayed October 2012
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 14, 2012

I'm glad you like your stay at our Hotel. We try to make an effort to make our guests enjoy their stay as air travelling can be quite exhausting and we allso try to make an good early-morning breakfast. It is always good to know that our efforts are making your stay better.

One other thing: you're right. The Reykjanes Peninsula has alot of scenic beauty which tends to be forgotten by travelers. I would, I'm sure you'd agree with me, reccomend experiencing the peninsula when visiting Iceland as it's extraordinary.

I hope that you'll someday come back to our hotel!
Lewes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is my greatest bugbear but when will hotel reception staff learn to be welcoming when guests check in? If you don't like people, don't work in hospitality. I resent being checked into a hotel, as I was at Hotel Keflavik, by a woman who clearly thought she was processing cattle at an abattoir. The hotel itself has, apparently, undergone renovations in the 1970s and 1980s with the owner presumably pointing to random items in an East German hotel trade catalogue. We had a room with a red carpet with a blue/green frieze and beige wallpaper. Brooding over this interior-decoration catastrophe was the most bizarre item of furniture I have ever seen. It must have looked good in the '80s: a massive cabinet with mini-bar at the bottom (empty so what's the point), TV in the middle and a huge safe in the top. The safe could have easily contained the Imperial State Crown complete with orb and scepter and gave off a somewhat menacing impression. The bathroom had a Ceausescu-style gold (!) ceiling and the sort of cubed-glass blocks you generally find in London men's urinals. Very odd indeed although, it must be said, quite comfortable. But why no FREE wifi? Everywhere else in Iceland has it so why not a hotel which presumably caters for many business people? This smacks of the worse, greedy excesses of British hotels who also make you pay for what these days is a basic necessity. You really wouldn't want to stay here for long (the surrounding town of Keflavik is pretty grim and windswept) and I'd recommend this hotel for its proximity to the airport and value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear guest,

Thanks for a detailed review. I'm sorry that our staff was not welcoming. Of course that is not the kind of service we pride ourselves on being able to give our guests. I will surely have a look at this.

The hotel was founded in 1986, you pointed out that the hotel last went under renovations in the 1980s. I can assure we have renovated frequently since and we are undergoing a major renovation at the hotel right now. The description you gave of the room sort of matches the decoration we are changing from.

I'm sorry that you're interior decoration-style does not match the hotels style. The hotel has pictures on our website, TripAdvisor and booking.com to show our guests what the ought to expect. And the pictures we show online perfectly resemble the guest rooms! Your room had a fridge, not a mini-bar. That is the reason for the so called ''empty mini-bar'' all minibar items can be ordered at the hotel and our reception staff will happily help you with that.

You mentioned our bathrooms in a rather demeaning manner. 90% of our bathrooms have recently been renovated! And you can also see pictures of them online, for future guests. We are proud of the renovations and they look terrific.
You said we don't have free WIFI, we do have free WIFI for all of our guests which we never charge for!

The town of keflavik has a lot to offer for it's guests, I can assure you and our team can surely help you recommend things to do/and see.

Thanks for staying with us, and I'm hoping to be able to give you a better welcome if you come again.
Bristol
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Perfectly decent hotel. Good for the airport and the hotel arranged and paid or transport. Only to gripes: first, the room stank of stale smoke, which is unusual nowadays; secondly, the hotel restaurant is very small and could not accommodate us. There are not that many alternatives in Keflavik.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, September 30, 2012

We're glad you liked your stay. But concerning the smoking in your room: The hotel has a non-smoking policy and we do not allow smoking anywhere in the hotel. Of course it happens occasionally that guest violate these rules. But in those cases we try to get rid of the odor in any way we can. We use odor-killing sprays and try to ventilate the air. In most cases it's sufficient and we can eliminate the odor but unfortunately that was not the case in your situation. When this happens we try to switch the rooms. I'm sorry that we were not able to serve you at the restaurant, usually the size is not a problem and we can serve all of our guests. But If we are able to welcome you back to our hotel we will gladly serve you. But our staff is always happy to help you find alternatives within walking distance.

Hope to see you again
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I think the some of the previous reviewers was way off with their expectations. This hotel is a great way to start or end your Iceland vacation. Here are my usual pros and cons:

Pros:
- Great 5 star breakfast!!! Seriously! this can compete with other 5 star hotels.
- CLEAN rooms and updated bath rooms.
- Free 5 minute taxi ride to the airport paid for by the hotel front desk.
- Blue Lagoon is only 10-15 minutes drive away
- Very close to the airport

Cons:
- It is true that the hotel has the atmosphere of the 80s, but some areas like the bathroom have been updated. If you are looking for super hip hotel look somewhere else.
- Bathroom has limited set of toiletries, like I did not find a separate shampoo (I did not ask for one), but on the other hand they provided shower caps? I wish I had kept that for the Blue Lagoon.
- Keflavik really has nothing to write home about so the hotel is really only ideal for overnight stays for early morning departures or late night arrivals. BUT for that it IS great!

Overall this is a good hotel and I a good deal in Iceland between the $100-$150 range.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Steinþór J, Owner at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, September 25, 2012

After 26 years in the business we have learned a lot but we are always looking to improve our selfs. You're right, your bathroom was recently renovated, we have renovated a large amount of the bathrooms and the windows at the hotel. We will continue to do so, renovate the exterior of the hotel and also the rooms in the nearest future.

I'm also glad you liked our breakfast as we try to make it the best we can, because travelers are often coming from flights or departing so a rich, healthy breakfast is vital. If you ever visit us again as I hope, we will surely recommend things to do in our closest surroundings.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you again to our Hotel in the future!
San Jose, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This place touts itself as one of the only "four star" hotels in Iceland, so my husband and I were looking forward to staying there on our last night in the country. However, when we arrived, we realized that it is definitely not worthy of a four star review. The hotel looks like it was really nice in the 1980s, when it was apparently last renovated, but it now looks very outdated (even down to the old-school key cards).

The worst part of the experience was the dirty room. The bathroom and shower was littered with previous guests' hair, and the kitchen sink looked like it had not been cleaned in weeks. Disgusting.

The sheets were very low thread count...it was like sleeping on sandpaper. Furthermore, the mattress was very uncomfortable.

The website mentions that the hotel has city views and ocean views. Our "ocean view" room was actually a view of the parking lot.

The only saving grace was the free breakfast in the morning. There was a nice spread of both meats and sweets. It was a nice send off to a sub-par experience. If I even travel to Iceland again, I will try the Icelandair hotel next door which has contemporary decorating and seems much nicer.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
davidjons, Front Office Manager at Hotel Keflavik, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I am sorry you did not like your stay and be sure I will go over this with my cleaning ladies. In what room did you stay and when?
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Stayed there to avoid the long drive from Reykjavik to catch an early-morning flight. Hotel offers a free taxi to the international airport. Lots of little quirks about the hotel which probably reflect the owner's tastes. They're not bad and set it apart from the austere, minimalist decor of many other Icelandic hotels. It appears that the owner opted for many features and furnishings that exceeded normal Icelandic tourist-class hotels when it was built, but the hotel could stand a bit of refreshing. Beds were soft but not bad. The double/full bed did not have the dreaded divide down the middle created by combining two beds together that is ubiquitous in other Icelandic hotels. Breakfast had a vast selection which is perfect preparation for flights that don't offer meals. A nice place to stay when departing from Keflavik.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad you liked your stay at our hotel. We are now in the progress of updating the exterior of the hotel. For example all windows and new tiles. Hopefully you will visit us again and like the changes.

Been to Hotel Keflavik? Share your experiences!