“Good for layover” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Vatnsnesvegur 9, Keflavik 230, Iceland   |
Framingham, Massachusetts
“Good for layover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed there for one night and had to go up early to get back to the airport. We had a room in the guest house opposite the main Hotel with a shared bathroom and a kitchen we could use. It was clean and we had a little TV in the room. Breakfast buffet at 5 o´clock was nice, big selction and no problem with check in and out douring the night. Only a ten minute ride from the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Gilleleje, Danmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

The family has just been a weekend in Iceland and we had 2 rooms for us. 2 adults and 2 great children 17 and 20 years. Rooms and bathroom are nicely clean and works as it should. It is a kitchen if you want to cook yourself. Breakfast at the hotel is included in the price and it's perfect, good quality and large selection. In all, a nice place if you want a place to sleep. Would like to come back to this place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

So I had a nighttime flight into Iceland and a layover for the night. So I booked the hotel there since it was close to the airport and could easily get there when I arrived late. I was told there was a bus that goes into Reykjavik in the morning as well, so figured this would be the best bet. Also the bonus was states it includes a one way fare to or from the airport by taxi.

My issue was I had not realized when I booked the hotel online that I had actually gotten the "guesthouse" rather than a regular hotel room. I should have paid more attention, because if I had realized this, I would have just booked somewhere else closer to Reykjavik. The Guesthouse does not have the free transfer from the airport. This caused some confusion as I was tired and it was late and trying to get some sleep. Luckily the desk person was really nice and after we had discussed the emails I had received about the free transfer, she paid the taxi. Again, next time I would have to make sure I did not get the guest house.

Now the hotel looks nice. The guesthouse is well, anything but nice. It's across the road and you walk into a open space (good thing is there is a kitchen and two toilets and one shower for 6 rooms). In my room, there were two beds, one of which was completely unmade and looks like someone had just slept in it. There were also no outlets in the room at all to charge my phone and only one outside the room in the common area where I was not going to leave my phone unattended. I had to use the outlet in the ceiling where the tv was plugged into and have my phone pretty much dangling in the air to recharge for the night. So this entire aspect of the hotel was not appealing, and again, I didn't realize I had gotten this sort of room when I booked (which was my fault I supposed for not reading the finer print).

The free breakfast is open for both rooms and guesthouse and it's actually pretty good. 3 selections of herring and other meats and stuff. The bus into Reykjavik (or the Blue Lagoon) (REK) does not actually stop at the hotel, it stops a number of blocks away, so don't expect to wait in the lobby for the bus, expect to walk a few blocks away and wait outside at a regular bus stop.

From the looks of the inside of the actual hotel (not the guest house) it looks like the rooms would be nice, but again, I apparently didn't get this option. So I can't really do an accurate review of the hotel as a whole, just the guest house portion...

Room Tip: Make sure you do not book the guest house.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Central PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

This Review is mostly for the Hotel across the street (same owners), but the Guesthouse is an annex building with a few rooms, and you have access to the main hotel.
About a 5-10 minute cab ride from the airport. They will let you check in early for a fee, if rooms available. Useful for early morning arrivals. The hotel will pay the van for 1 cab ride to or from the airport, you may have to pay for 1 way. No way you could walk from airport in under 45 min, and there is no sidewalk along the busy road. Hotel is in downtown of small village of Keflavik. Great front desk staff, they helped us with a lost luggage claim, directions, printing boarding passes, buy postcards, etc. Hotel is quiet. Gym in basement floor with sauna. Breakfast is a buffet and is included in the room. Basic meat, cheese, hard boiled eggs, coffee, some pastry. They have a restaurant open evenings. Next door is a BP station with 24 hour convienence store, quiznos subs counter, etc. 5 min walk to seaside path, to KFC, Dominos, there is a department store in main square, Icelandair hotel with bar and restaurant. Small elevator, lounge for TV on top floor with balcony. Smoking outside only. Small business lounge. TV in several languages, good reception. Wifi OK in lobby and rooms. free. Euro recepticles, (2 round posts). No hair dryers nor irons in rooms. Clean, comfortable. I was there end of June, so Daylight all the time. Nice blackout curtains on windows. Blue lagoon trip can be arranged from front desk, you prepay, they reserve it and bus picks you up out front. Must reserve a few hours ahead for this pick up.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Auckland, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for one night in late June when we arrived into Keklavik airport after midnight. The guesthouse is located across the road from Hotel Keflavik, but they're owned by the same company. The guesthouse is a simple lodging with shared central area and two bathrooms (one shower), with bedrooms adjacent to the main room.

While the guesthouse accomodation is nothing special, you get to walk over to the hotel which is rather luxurious with really helpful staff, and have a great buffet breakfast. I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone looking to explore Keflavik or a budget, or coming in from a late flight.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

I'm not used to sharing a bath while traveling, so it's hard to evaluate this vs. a traditional hotel. The room was fine, if Spartan. Floor of shower is slippery and I have a bruise to prove it. Breakfast at the hotel across the street is quite tasty.

• Stayed June 2011
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

Our family had booked the guest house because the main hotel was sold out. On arrival we were told that the shuttle (reimbursement for taxi ride) was only for hotel guests not "guest house" guests. A room for 2 adults and 2 children had only 2 single beds so we had to add an additional room. Settled in to sleep when a loud rock band started playing at 930pm into the night. No idea where it was - Above the guest house rooms or outside somewhere but the bass was not a lullaby. Definitely a great breakfast and after a lovely brisk walk to the ocean we paid for another taxi back to the airport. It was a required overnight stay that challenges the economy of Icelandair. Think twice before going this route.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Guesthouse Keflavik? Share your experiences!