“Good Ride through Lava Fields” 4 of 5 stars

Sorlaskeid 26, Hafnarfjordur, Reykjavik 220 , Iceland
+354-555-7000
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: The Ishestar Riding Centre offers great facilities for riders. It’s set in beautiful surroundings just outside the town of Hafnarfjorour, about 10 minutes drive from Reykjavik. The facilities and its beautiful surroundings provide endless opportunities of riding, hiking and other outdoor activities. We welcome individuals, families and all kinds of groups who want to enjoy themselves outdoors. The facilities offer people an easy way to enjoy our horses and the experience of our staff will ensure the safety of all our guests. The locker room of the Riding Centre is well equipped. All customers are provided with warm overalls, raingear, riding boots and helmets in all sizes. The Ishestar staff take pride in finding horses to suit individual needs as well as secure the safety of everybody. Ishestar offers daily riding tours at 10:00 and 14:00 during the whole year, both for beginners and advanced riders. We also have a selection of combo tours like Horses and Blue lagoon, Horses and Snorkeling and lot more.
Newport Beach, California, United States
4 attraction reviews
“Good Ride through Lava Fields”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

Very much enjoyed the ride and Ishestar did a good job of accommodating a range of riding experience and abilities. I have quite a bit of riding experience, but was traveling with my cousin, who has not done much riding in recent years. We were in a group of 10-12 riders with 2 guides. Had a nice ride through lava fields all together at the start, but then the groups separated, one with each guide, with the more experienced riders traveling a more challenging, faster route, and the more relaxed ride continuing their walk. Allowed everyone to enjoy their experience.
I was there in early January and the weather was quite cold. I had appropriate gear, but noticed many riders were borrowing attire from the stables. All looked appropriate and good condition.

Visited January 2014

• Hungarian first
“Totally unforgettable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Had a great time today on this tour. I had not ridden before and was nervous. It was appropriate for a first timer. The staff were lovely and the whole experience was well organised. I did fall off but I think this was highly unusual and I wasn't hurt. It made it all the more memorable ha ha! Don't let this put you off but it is more scary than it looks if you have no experience. The scenery was fabulous also in the snow but I think I would like to return another time and see the black lava fields.

Toronto, Canada
11 attraction reviews
“Well worth it, even for inexperienced. ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Booked this as a last minute thing but so glad we did. My partner and I have never ridden before but that didn't matter. We were introduced to our horses, saddled and got on our way, going across snow-covered lava fields with a magnificent view of sunset (at 3pm). The group split into two for experienced and inexperienced, then inexperienced split again. We went on the medium group so got to go a bit faster, which I would have loved to do more of. If you're going, wear good gloves and thick socks. Toes were really cold by the end but you get warmed up again back at the starting point with free tea and coffee. Great guides, good instructions and just a wonderful way to spend a couple of hours.

London, United Kingdom
“Icelandic horses are the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

A very good ride around the lave fields with some very friendly horses. Good for those with no riding experience and a good refresher for those who haven't ridden for a while. An excellent time was had by all. Icelandic horses are the best.

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Views, But A Little Scary”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We went horseback riding, and it was mostly very nice, with amazing views. But I must admit, I found the parts where we sped up a bit to be a little scary. And at on point my horse charged forward, which was terrifying, but from what I understand, it's quite unusual.