“Glad I stayed here for my last night in Iceland” 5 of 5 stars

Viking Village Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Strandgata 55, Hafnarfjordur, Reykjavik 220, Iceland   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Hafnarfjordur
Dendermonde, Belgium
“Glad I stayed here for my last night in Iceland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I spent one night in Viking Village Hotel end of March 2013.
Although it took a while before someone showed up at the desk, the woman was very friendly and helpful. Service was excellent! I booked a single bedroom and I have to say I rarely had such a clean hotelroom, it was a nice suprise to come in a room that was very clean and tidy.
The food in the restaurant was very nice, though a bit too pricy according to me.
One thing that was a bit annoying was that both the water in the hot tub and the water from the tap & shower smelled bad. But that seems to be a problem in a lot of hotels in Reykjavik area so I suppose that hasn't got anything to do with the hotel itself.
Wifi was also fine, didn't have any trouble with connecting to the internet.
I enjoyed my stay and would recommand this hotel.
One thing to keep in mind though that the hotel is located a little out of Reykjavik so in the nearby area there is not a lot to do in terms of activities.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed here between 28 Dec - 2 jan. It is outside the city centre butif you have rented a car this is nota problem. The hotel is on the coast and is 10 mins by car from the city centre. The rooms are warm and practical. They provide soap in the bathrooms so take your own shampoo. The hotel does have a hot tub but we only used it once because other big tour groups dominated it and left beer bottles around it which were not cleared by the hotel. Best bit was watching the fireworks from the snowy balcony and the extremely helpful staff. Good value for money.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Wien
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We liked this Hotel eventhough some things were a bit strange. We appreciated beeing upgraded to a spacious superior room (# 32) with a huge bed, wooden furniture and a big bathtub. Seems that Vikings didn't have a warderobe because there was none. The TV only showed a Hotel video about the history of this place, this was acutally interesting. One evening we had a nice dinner at the Viking Pub. Breakfast was of average quality. We found the price for our room very reasonable. From Viking Hotel it takes about 15 minutes to get to the center of Reykjavik (by bus or taxi) and the Flybus stops in front of the Hotel. So altogehter it's a good choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
newcastle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

As a couple we stayed for 3 nights in room 32. It was a lovely big room, with a massive bed and a sitting area with sofas and chairs and cushions. Often, rooms given arent what we see on the website but this was exact! the bed was comfy although it was only 2 mattresses pushed together even though it as on a double bed frame. bit annoying but common in europe ive found. The bathroom was nice and clean and had a good sized bath in it. Showering was difficult tough due to the smell of the water! The hot water was disgusting due to the natural sulper in it. The cold water isnt meant to have this problem as its from a different source but we found it still tasted horrible so brushing teeth was difficult and drinking a glass of water from the tap, forget it. I didnt find this room or hotel over the top as some people have said. The room was nice but i found it hadnt been thoroughly cleaned in quite some time. Over the days we were therer massive clumps of dust weere blown out from under the chairs and behind the bed and dressing table didnt look like it had been cleaned in ages when a light was pointed over it. Not very nice! We didnt visit the vking restaurant as it was a bit expensive and we stayed overnew year when it was a set meu and we didnt want this. We didnt really see many other places to eat or drink in this town but i must admit we didnt look much. It was dark much of the day and we didnt get time to explore. We did pick up a pizza from a nearby place and this was good value. What really lets this hotel down apar from its cleanliness is the breakfast. Although on paper it sounds good, it was very disappointing. Comapreed to other continental breakfasts I have had, this was the worst. Each morning I only managed some toast with butter, the jam in a large pot was thick and hard to spread. Only 2 types of juice from a machine or coffee. Teabags were hidden behind the bar and you had to ask for one if you could find a staf member. There was a tray of hams and cheese but the cheese didnt taste of much, and a bowl of what looked like tinned fruit was mushy and flavourless. The cereal included cornflakes or granola which again had no taste and just seemedfto be porridge oats. Milk was from a warm UHT carton. The breakfast room was nice itself in a viking style and I imagine for one night this breakfast might suit, but for 3 days we werent looking forward to breakfast like we normally do. We popped down to see the hot tub and it looked a bit dirty and small and was full of a group of friends drinking and looked very unappealing. Upon check in, the girl that served us was not helpful at all. she handed us a room card and basically that was it. We had to ask her the wuestions about breakfast, dining and trips out. another brown haired girl we saw was very polite though. Also on the 2nd day the lifts stopped working and no one seemed to be fixing them or placing a sign on them. This was annoying when we had to carry out luggage down 3 floors on checking out. Other good things I would say though were the size of the room, a comfortable mattress and tea and coffee facilities in the room. It was also made up each day. Our room was on the front of the hotel with good views and it wasnt noisy at all as ive readsome people say on here. Overall, it was nice staying in somewhere a bit different and for the price it was ok butI dont think I would stay again for more than one night.

Room Tip: We had a premier room on the 3rd floor which I believe are nordic style. I think if you can afford i...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Though a little touristy, service was great. Nice room. Natural hot tub and sauna. Very good breakfast. Located in Hafnarfjordur so not close to Reykjavik center but still worth staying and experiencing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

A late night flight meant arriving at the hotel at 1.30am - so had to use the 'emergency number' on the door to find someone, who to his credit, was very polite. Room was bed-sit style with its own little kitchen. Mattress was very soft and tired, and pillows seemed to be viking relics. But the breakfast was reasonable and the style of the hotel was a fine introduction to Iceland.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is my first review that I have ever written, and honestly, the great stay that I we had at this hotel prompted me to start writing them.
The hotel was clean, quiet, and the staff was borderline friendly. I think that the staff (at least during the off season) is really overworked, could account for the curt politeness. I actually saw one sleeping on a couch on the upper level of the hotel because she just had to get some rest.
The room that we had was a 2 X twin bed room on the bottom floor.
The beds were VERY very comfortable. I'm pretty sure that the mattress is foam, and there is a padded layer on top of it. Whatever it was, I sunk into it, and it was blissful. The pillows were big and comfy (I usually need two pillows, but I only needed one of these to be comfortable).
The room has hard wood floors, big heavy wooden doors, and huge windows.
The bathroom was the only thing that could be of a small discomfort to some people as it is European sized. The shower was good enough, but the wink was pretty tiny.
The water from the shower (the hot water anyways) has a sulfuric smell (good luck finding a hotel in Iceland that DOESNT have that smell in the shower) but the smell doesn't stay for long. I hear that the sulfuric water is better for your skin, but I couldn't tell a difference.
The hotel is located in a little town south of Reykjavik, and I would highly recommend staying here over staying in the main city. The prices of this smaller town are DIRT cheap, and it is much less crowded.
A bus runs right by the hotel, and will bring you into the heart of town.
Overall, I loved the hotel. It has weird quirky charm, and free breakfast, which was actually really fantastic. Fetid shark is not for the faint of heart though!
Oh, and the hot tub is amazing. Huge outdoor hot tub, and a sauna that is better than any I have ever seen in North America. Icelanders know how to do hot tubs and saunas, let me tell you that!

Room Tip: ASK for a room that has really good wifi reception, there are areas where it is very spotty. The roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Viking Village Hotel? Share your experiences!