“Intresting Sight of Hafnarfjörður” 4 of 5 stars

354-694-2785
Improve this listing
Type: Historic Walking Areas, Sightseeing Tours
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
“Intresting Sight of Hafnarfjörður”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This is a nice walk through the town of Hafnarfjörður. And there are nice stories about the elves and dwarfs living in the area. Very good to see the beautiness of the little town in the south of the capital region.

Visited November 2011

Zurich, Switzerland
“A wonderful experience and lovely stories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I visited Iceland for the first time with a group of people. Since I heard so much about elves I wanted to go to places where they are supposed to be. So I arranged to go on that tour, not knowing what to expect.
The guide took us to many places in Hafnarfjörður where the hidden folk is meant to live. She told stories that people experienced with the elves. She took time to explain and reply to the questions that we had (and that was a lot of questions).
For me that walk was worth every penny! It was so special that when I came back to Iceland I went on that walk a second time - and I will go a third time., because every time I go I learn and see something new.

Visited March 2012
Boston, MA
5 attraction reviews
“The most collosal waste of money Loki ever invented”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2008

For the sake of all tourists visiting Iceland, I must warn the world of this massive scam.

3000 ikr, or $46 US as of 2/19/08's conversion rate, buys you a 45 minute stroll through a completely unremarkable suburban neighborhood of the type you can see in any Western nation, led by a softspoken Icelandic native who points to the occasional rock or pit and mentions a charming story about elves. These stories are so brief and hackneyed that she adds filler material like "this tree was voted the best tree in town, I don't know why" or "this was a house where a famous swimmer lived, and I said his awards were mine once and he came out and yelled at me, hee hee." 45 minutes of this, for $46. That's like a dollar a minute, which is the rate for many "adult chat lines." Not that I'd know.

You can experience the Blue Lagoon, Iceland's most famous tourist destination, for about $27 a person. This buys you unlimited time in gorgeous geothermal pools in one of the finest setups I've seen in the world, and I've traveled to over two dozen countries. And this is TWO THIRDS the price of walking in a half-mile circle looking at potted trees and being told elves are there but you can't see them.

I realize that caveat emptor is always good policy, and, as I said, I've been to over two dozen countries, many of them developing nations where substance living is the rule and one doesn't complain about bug-ridden beds and no plumbing because at least there's a roof over your head (In one of those countries, incidentally, you could feed a family of 4 for a month on one elf-tour admission).

Note that despite Lonelyplanet's claim otherwise, no townspeople in elf costumes appear on this tour. But elf costumes wouldn't have saved this experience. For $200 (yes, sadly, four of us got suckered into this), I expected a team of elf butlers to serve us martinis.

For the love of all the Norse Gods, avoid this at all costs!