“convenient hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Turku
Brussels, Belgium
“convenient hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel is very conveniently located in the city centre just a few minutes walk from the market square and various other amenities. The room was clean, tidy and comfortable. They put in an extra bed for my son to sleep in. The staff at reception were very friendly and helpful. The staff in the restaurant, however, were not very conscientious. They seemed much more concerned to chat about their private lives than get on with their jobs. The food was nice and the choice of drinks was good. This hotel is supposed to be non-smoking, but it was obvious that someone had been smoking either in the lobby or the stairwell as the smell was very strong.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Finnish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

The lobby is tiny and the furnishings in my room showed considerable wear, but the room itself was very pleasant: large and comfortable, with the largest bathroom I've ever had in a Scandinavian hotel. The breakfast buffet was quite nice and the location to the Market Square and other Turku amenities was convenient. Didn't knock my socks off but I had a perfectly pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Kokkola, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have stayed at least 20 times at this hotel but unfortunately the service level has gone down. In my profile I have asked for a room with working possibilities because I often work in the evenings on my computer. Recently I have never got this kind of room although I have booked my stay long in advance.
The front desk personnel are not so friendly and caring as they used to be. The hotel is clean and the food is good most of the times I have been eating there. Location is good, just two blocks from the city center. I will take into consideration if I will stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sanna P, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Seurahuone, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear just4fun_13,

Thank you for your candid response. We take your opinions very seriously and do thank you for your remarks about our service, food and location. We want to make sure that our customers wishes are met, when they stay with us. I am really sorry that we have not succeeded in this matter. The next time you stay with us, please inform the reception of these important wishes when checking-in. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Sanna Paloniemi
Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

It is not a 5 star hotel, but very cozy and comfortable. My room 430 was huge and had a big renovated bathroom. Front desk staff is friendly and accomodating. I will stay in this hotel in my future visits to Turku

Room Tip: 430 renovated big corner room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Lithuania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having read reviews about this hotel in Tripadvisor, I had some doubts about my choice.However, I didn't change my plans and stayed at this hotel for 6 days in January. I liked it there and if back to Turku again, I would choose the same plae to stay. Some people complain that the hotel is worn out and needs to be refurnished. Well, I agree, but for me when travelling a lot the most important aspect is the character of the hotel and cosiness. And that's what this hotel has. The staff is friendly, polite and ready to help. I asked for an upper floor with the windows to the courtyard since I am sensitive sleeper. And I had a room on the 4h floor with a nice view.
The hotel has its security policy. You can only use the lift with your room key.
When you check-in the staff gives you the codes to log in the PC from your room. A slight drawback is that you need to change the code every 12 hours (I was given 6 codes for 6 days of my stay).
As regards the breakfast, it is excellent since everyone can find something for his liking. I cannot understand people complaining that the food is the same every single day. Yes, it is but you can choose among the porridge, eggs and omelettes, frankfurters and bacon, two types of herring, cottage cheese, several types of youghurt, vegetables, sausage, cheese, fruit, croissants and doughuts.
The hotel is centrally located with 3 shopping centers within 5-7 minute of easy stroll. A lot of eateries are either in those shopping centers or around them. The main landmark, Turku Cathedral is about a 12-15 minute walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors facing the yard
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Hotel is old and the last renovation was done more than few years ago. Our rooms in 6th floor were comfortable and the view towards the Aura river (westwards) was good. The location is quiet even in Saturday evening. On the other room the ladies discussion from next room was easily passing to the room. (partly because there was no any other noise). There is only one lift and its warning for overload was working for 4 persons payload! (Needs to utilize staircase). Breakfast average Finnish hotel. The S-customer’s price was ok and valid even though Turku was fully booked due to Ladies Cosmetic exhibition. So we were pleased to use the saved money for eating at the Radison SAS Hotel.

Room Tip: Street side at Turku is quiet enenought and you get view to the Aura river direction.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Helsinki. Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The only positive thing about this hotel was a very friendly staff. Our room was old and smelled bad. Breakfast was not of good quality (tasteless scrambled eggs, bad croissants) but the most annoying thing about this hotel was the miniature lift that was the only lift in the building and could take only two persons at a time. So we ended up waiting for the lift for longer periods. Hotel itself is desperately in need of reparation. I would not stay in this hotel again. The location is good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Seurahuone? Share your experiences!