“Tourist trap but quite good” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Scandinavian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Abruzzo
“Tourist trap but quite good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Viking scenery and pretented viking food. Cannot judge wether it was really viking food, but it offered great choices and what I chose was very good. The beer choice is quite good. Staff is friendly and very competent. A bit too pricey, though, or it would have deserved full marks.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Finnish first
Finland
“When you want something different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Viking atmosphere, special viking menu, outfits and decoration all really well planned to make the entity as authentic as possible. I've been there with friends and with business partners and every time people have been really pleased. Suites also for the children because of the interesting theme. Easy to find in the middle of the city. Usually they have room even if you haven't done a reservation but during the weekend evenings the reservation might be a good idea.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tampere, Finland
“Null points from the UK jury.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

I had great expectations for this place having read other reviews, but me and my guests were left very disappointed.

To start the restaurant had run out of 4 of its main courses and for the remaining mains they had run out of some of the elements, like the cheese mousse for the beef and cheese mousse dish. This might be understandable late on a busy night, but should never happen at 5pm on a Saturday evening.

The food came (eventually) and the presentation for some dishes was very nice, eg sliced meat on a sword. But looking at everyone's portion size, I couldn't help thinking that Vikings must have got very hungry on their voyages. My steak was cooked through medium, but my pregnant wife's was practically mooing at the table. My other guests said their food was ordinary.

What makes this most disappointing is that the prices are easily double the price of any other restaurant in the area and there is a distinct lack of a viking atmosphere, unless Vikings love bright, fairly open spaces and 'whale' music.

We did complain constructively and the waitress who had been very nice and helpful did confess she wouldn't wish our experience on anyone else. Some sort of discount or free dessert would have been appreciated.

I will need a lot of persuasion to return.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tampere
“Something Different”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Have eaten here a number of times. the menu is something different, with some interesting dishes. The presentation of the food and drinks is also interesting, with the use of ceramic globlets for example. Nice theme decor etc.

Tampere
“Viking style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had today lunch with my husband at the Harald Viking restaurant in the middle of Tampere. We have been there several times every now and then, and after having looked for a easy place for lunch we went there, because we know what to get there. The atmosphere is usually very relaxed and friendly, in the spirit of the Vikings. The interior is styled nicely, in several lounges, where there are 3 – 4 tables. A bear pelt is hanging between some lounges, and after stepping upstairs you can look into the eyes of a wolf. Dark heavy timber with rustic furniture doesn’t, however, make your stay uncomfortable. Food and drinks are always named the Viking style and the clothes of the personnel old-fashioned enough. We especially like the behaviour of the chief, naturally called Harald, and earlier there has been Helga waitress, who could act among the style, today no. Well, we all have some worse days. But when Harald finally came to greet us with the bill, the day became shiny. He just knows how to handle people! The restaurant is not the cheapest in town, although our lunch was not expensive. The day’s list had 4 – 5 alternatives, but from the a la carte menu you can choose of more possibilities.
For the first time I noticed the music, which suited very well there, was not too loud but not primitive, too. I liked it.
I liked my baked vegetable dish with cheese icing. My husband did like his ox pot with potatoes and other vegetables. This time we drank only water, but you can find there some typical special beers and wines, too.
After having read cybercloud’s estimation I have to add that there is always salad dish with bred and soup. You just have to pick them yourself.

• Visited November 2012