“Great looonnngg dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Kirkkonummi, Finland
“Great looonnngg dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We had a full 9 course tasting menu with matching wines. In real life this was about 14 courses. Inventive and balanced dinner, but took about 5 hours, so should not be done in a hurry!

Visited February 2012

Helsinki, Finland
“The poorest Michelin-star restaurant to date”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

...and I've been in a few! I have visited 1,2 and 3 Michelin starred restaurants in Spain, France, Italy, Belgium and Holland. And now in Finland. I do not know if the [--] had hit the fan today at Chez Dominique, but everything went very wrong. There are so many things that went wrong that it'd take 3 A4's to explain. It was like the usual teams was on vacation and they were "playing" with the reserve team or something...

Service was sloppy, amateurish and insecure. The sommelier was very lacking in wine knowledge (he tried to recommend a non-vintage Champagne after checking that a 460 EUR bottle of Vintage Champagne that I had asked was not available).

The food, let's say that I could only save 1 course of the 9 we had, the pigeon. Everything else was a complete joke. The 1st course was some blanched vegetables, the 2nd course, 2 tomatoes with some tomato water...what? 155 EUR for tomatoes????! Then some foie grass cream (I was wondering when we were going to start having some real foie-gras, oysters, lobster, hallibut,...). Then 1 langoustine, which was tasteless (as most of what was served). 1 course = 1 langoustine. Bfffff...Absolutely everything they served was "finished up" from a pot on the table by the waiter. What a show! Definitely give them 1 star! The point is that it did not add absolutely anything to the dish and every single dish could have very well come from the kitchen with the sauce/foam on. The execution of the dishes was poor, the presentation was poor and the originality was non-existent. Is this is top Finnish cuisine, I'm happy I do not live here...

Portions were tiny. I had a 32-course menu at El Bulli 3 years ago with bigger portions, no kidding!

Cocktails are priced at 17.50 EUR (even a virgin - that is, without any alcohol), a espresso was 8 EUR. It is way beyond what we can consider honest pricing, even for Helsinki (I had a better espresso in Postres for lunch and it was 5 EUR - mind you, a rip off anyways). The service of filtered tap water is charged at 10 EUR/head. Filter water in a Michelin star restaurant...I had never seen that before. I'm surprised they did not charge anything for bread.

You see Chez Dominique people: when you pay 155/head for food, and spend 400 EUR for wine, elsewhere in Europe they do not only not charge you for water (btw, bottle mineral water), but for any soft drink you order. I'm talking 3-star Michelin. That's called class.

The best thing of the night, the Champagne, which as sublime (btw, I asked if I could have it by my side in a cooler and, surprised, they told me they do not have coolers). A restaurant without coolers, oh boy...

Funny enough, there was a table of 4 Russians right next to us which looked completely negatively surprised about the whole experience as well, and their faces of "what a rip off!" when getting every dish made our evening quite more enjoyable. So, I can say it was not our subjective view. I hope the Michelin inspector was not there tonight, because they would lose their 2 stars right away.

800 EUR for 2 with a good bottle of Champagne. It is one of the few times in my live that I was VERY upset to have to pay for food. Unless they change RADICALLY what they're doing, if you've ever been to a Michelin restaurant in a lower latitude (especially if you're used to it) you ARE going to feel RIPPED OFF. Guaranteed. If you've never been in a Michelin-starred restaurant and you do not go to restaurants often, enjoy!

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Wonderful meal at Chez Dominique!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

After a week of bland meals in Russia we were finally able to reward our taste buds in Finland. We made reservations online in advance and the staff was very accommodating as we arrived straight from the airport along with our luggages! We chose the six course fixed menu instead of the nine course as we arrived fairly late in the evening. From the hors d'oeurves to desserts they were all absolutely visual and gastronomic delights. Service was pretty attentive, although not family-like but fits well to the restaurant's trendy and elegant atmosphere. Lots of beautiful diners too!
It was the most expensive meal during our two and a half week journey but it was well worth it!

Tallinn, Estonia
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We went there last week. It did not disappointed. Everything was very good: food was original and nicely presented. Service was very good as well. Portions were a bit on the slim size, but we did not leave hungry. Price of wine is high but not ridiculously high. For high-end references, expect to pay not more than what you pay in Tallinn (my home town). Definitely not the best 2-michelin star I've been in, but we'll worth a visit if you're in town.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Helsinki, Finland
“Stone cold service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Straight off the bat we must admit that the food is great, no doubt about that. I don't know whether its the status of them stars that makes the staff give you a cold shoulder - I can't really describe it in any other way than 'I did not feel welcome'. The deco is more or less from the futuristic Allen movie where the cello player ends up in the future (you should check out the film, it is equally as hilarious as the atmosphere in the restaurant). The fluorescent lights give a feel of a waiting room, the kind that you tend to wait for a root job in.