“One of my favourite restaurants in my hometown” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: International
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Helsinki, Finland
“One of my favourite restaurants in my hometown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

A cosy, frendly and unpretentious small restaurant close to the city center and the jugend quarters. It's located at one of the nicest shopping streets of the city. Nice menu, delicious food and visited by ordinary people from the neighbourhood. Everything is just about right with this restaurant, that I visit as often as I can thanks to their nice lunch list and good value-for-money dinners.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Helsinki, Finland
“Nice Bar & Restaurant in Ullanlinna”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Maxill is a good quality restaurant in Ullanlinna Helsinki.
Kitchen closed 11.00 pm. Good simple food and lunch. Price level good+.
Very good service. Creme brule was super. Italian, French and Scandinavian specialities.

Visited May 2013
Finland
“Nice dinner with friends”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We 5 ladies just yesterday dined at Maxill in Korkeavuorenkatu. And we probably should have shared our food to each other. Everyone's own dish looked and tasted good, but also our friends dish looked delicious.

3 of us ate shrimp tagliatelle and two of us salmon with avocado. I ate salmon and it was really nicely done and tasty (and I am really particular of my salmons). My greens were fresh and tasty, too. If you are hesitating of the spiciness of wasabi oil, ask it to put in side. Tagliatelles were also tasty according my friends.

As dessert we had Crème brûlée and lime-mareng-cace. Both delicious but Crème brûlées deck didnt crush at is should have been :).

The restaurant is quite cosy, it has also outside tables. But since the materials are not that soft, it is quite noisy when it is fully booked. Remember to book your table a bit beforehand, it is a quite popular place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Great impromptu dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was having drinks with foreign business contacts by the sea. We decided to extend the evening and have dinner too but obviously had no reservation. Walking up the Korkeavuorenkatu from the marina, four restaurants were fully booked. Maxill was next up the street and luckily had space. We got a really nice window table.

One of my guests ordered from the salad menu, and had no complaints. The pulled pork sandwich of another guest was a success too, but I think they both got food envy from tasting my lamb cabbage rolls. A hearty, tasty offering respectful of the humble roots of this dish. Our only complaint was the generous amount of salt used - I came home super thirsty.

The service was warm, courteous, attentive and friendly - the best I've experienced in Helsinki in a while! All in all, a great place to spend an unpretentious evening with friends or low key business contacts.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boulder, Colorado
“good neighborhood restaurant open late for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We had an apartment a couple blocks from Maxill and stopped in one day when looking for a late lunch. Service was friendly, the lunch specials tasty and the outdoor seating was pleasant, if a bit close to the street. Simple food (at least what we had) done well with no fuss.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere