“Anonymous food but nice place” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mamma Rosa

Mamma Rosa
Runeberginkatu 55 | 00260, Helsinki, Finland (Taka-Töölö)
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #162 of 1,012 Restaurants in Helsinki
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Taka-Töölö
Paradise City, Arizona, United States
“Anonymous food but nice place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

THE PLACE: when you read "Mamma Rosa" you start thinking about a great restaurant, a place that has also the quality of the italian way of coocking other than the name. That's not the case. The place is really nice, it gives you a sense of warmth thanks to the wood furniture. The service is good, the waiters are very kind and ready to answer your questions.

THE FOOD: nothing special. I ate a pizza margherita, or something they think that it is a pizza (I have to clarify that I am from Naples, so I'm a little bit severe about it). I also ate a Blini that was fair. The beer was a dark one and it was good.

In general I can say that it is too expensive for what it has to offer in terms of food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

• Finnish first
Espoo, Finland
“Very tasty pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I went out for Friday dinner with colleagues, and ended having a Duck Pizza. It's quite pricey compared to pizza joints, but the taste was extremely good for a quite unusual pizza. Ginger Brulee was an excellent dessert worth the try. Only thing that bothered me was the fact that one had to pay for cloakroom (1½ euros), I would expect this for a nightclub, but not for a food restaurant.

Visited January 2013
Lima, Peru
“Decent dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Finland can be challenging in a New year Eve as most restaurants seem to close at 23:30 (!) and the local newspapers or internet did not give us a hint of where a visitor could meet a nice New Year eve, without getting deep frozen in outside temperatures. So we just made a casual walk and landed at Mamma Rosa's restaurant, without any previous idea of the place or a table reservation.

The location is OK with a short walk from two major downtown hotels in a safe feeling residential area. A car may find a lucky parking in the small square facing the restaurant. Mamma Rosa had a bouncer which however this place happened to be welcoming and very polite and took us smoothly downstairs to have us quickly seated in a nice table. A good reception experience.

The restaurant seems to have a street level area which at a quick glance might look like pizza outlet, and a more formal setting at the ground floor, which we felt reasonably cozy. The decor is simple and could be from somewhere 1970's. The tables are not too jammed together giving personal space. The service is what you can consider normal in Finland with as few as possible words or smiles exchanged.

Mamma Rosa kitchen still has to wait for their Michelin starts, but the dinner experience was not bad either. The house "antipasto" was in fact good with eight different items in well measured and designed smallish portions, and in different well combined flavors. I was delighted to meet a smallish and tasty tartar steak, roe with smetana and blini, although found a bit difficult to get an idea of how do you taste pate without anything -a piece of bread, a cracker or something - to put it on. A good and tasty experience though.

As the main course we had a steak grill for two. The portion size was OK, the meat looked like a roast beef, maybe a bit raw to my taste and not as "suave" as you would expect in South America. It seems that in Finland the meat is cut and grilled without the thin fat layer, which makes the "Southern" cut (like bife angosto) much more delicious? But it was edible, no praises neither complaints. The onion bed was well designed and tasty, and the grated potatoes really delicious which in fact saved the whole thing.

The two-portion grill plate - heavy iron - comes to the table sizzling hot, and so were sizzling hot also the fork and the knife which you are supposed to use to serve the stuff to your plate. For some reason the chef places the tools on top of the hot iron, lets them take their sweet time to get real hot, and then carries the combination to the restaurant table. So, in consequence an ignorant client like me got blisters to my fingers just touching the server tools. The poor waiter also burnt her fingers when testing my "regards to the Chef", so it was a double nuisance. Next time let's handle those tools with a wet towel if placed on top of the grill plate..

The sorbettes had a good taste for dessert and surprisingly Mamma Rosa offers dark roasted, drinkable coffee as an alternative to the Finnish standard light roasted stuff - a good detail and in fact one of the very few times In Finland during this trip when we enjoyed the after-dinner coffee.

We had a decent although not a brilliant dinner, with reasonable portion sizes for a reasonably hungry couple. The prices were not exaggerated and in all I might return to the place another time once I get the blister off my finger. If you are close to this place and do not wish to spend lots of money to too fancy dinners, this could be an option. Maybe the Chef should work a bit more with the meat quality (meat cut?) and preparation, and to think about not placing the fork&knife on top of a hot plate. But not a bad overall experience!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Helsinki, Finland
“Absolutely great food everytime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

What else can I say?
Great atmosphere, great service, and most important DELICIOUS FOOD!
We want to visit there as much as we can!

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Helsinki, Finland
“Huge disappointment - never going back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

For some reason I hadn't been to Mamma Rosa before even though I've lived in Helsinki for years. Well, now I know that I've missed nothing. Location is brilliant but decor outdated and quite ordinary. Nothing really to complain about the service, just the food was terrible. The starter garlic bread tasted "straight from the can" but was edible. The main course was just disaster: My partner had a tasteless tenderloin steak and my "marble tenderloin steak" was not even chewy but just so hard that steak knife couldn't handle it. I sent it back to the kitchen and after waiting a good bit I got second steak. As hard and chewy as the first one. At this point we told that we a) didn't want a 3rd try, and b) even if we had wanted it, we didn't have time for it. Check was brought, slowly, and to our amazement there was no discount.
Luckily I managed to order delicious takeaway Thai curry to fill my tummy before going to the opera.