“Mostly good, but not spectacular” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kuurna

Kuurna
Meritullinkatu 6, Helsinki 00170, Finland (Vironniemi)
+358 9 670 849
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vironniemi
Surrey, England
“Mostly good, but not spectacular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

I was with a group of business colleagues and it was the right kind of venue for our group - neither too formal nor too informal. The food was pleasant enough. It was quite interesting because they have a small menu, but effectively we were told what we should have for each course. I had a slight feeling that this was more for the convenience of the restaurant than for our benefit. Having said that, as a vegetarian, I knew I would not have much choice. And I suppose it is a mark of confidence of the restaurateur as well as a reflection of the best ingredients on the day.
One of the nicest parts of the meal was the cheese - just three pieces on a plate, but exceptionally tasty.
I would not object to eating here again in a similar context. For a meal with friends, I would prefer Kolo.

Visited August 2013

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Aarau, Switzerland
“Little restaurant with atmosphere and tasty food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

This little restaurant has a intimate atmosphere and you really feel personally taken care of. The menu, which is changing regularly, offers a small but fine selection. Some meals are local specialties. A reservation is recommended especially on weekend evenings.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Logan, Utah
“My favorite restaurant in Helsinki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This small gem is easily missed if you walk by - I know from experience! The small outdoor sign simply proclaims "restaurant" but don't let the understatement fool you. On a quiet street not far from the bustle of the Matkasatama and major tourist sites. Very small, probably no more than 8-10 tables in a cozy environment. A few years ago, a friend recommended this restaurant, and I have visited here numerous times. All meals have been outstanding. Excellent wine list. I usually spring for the prixe fixe menu, which regularly varies with a strong emphasis on local foods, and modern interpretations of traditional Finnish fare. Be sure to make a reservation, it is a rarity to get a table as a walk-in most nights. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Cute little restaurant with weekly changing menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is very small and unique. The sign outside the restaurant just says "restaurant".

We ate Cold cucumber soup with cottage cheese and
Roasted vendace with tomato salad for starters. They were ok, nothing special.

But the main courses were to die for! We had Beetroots and chantarelles with Manchego and
Duck leg confit with balsamico-redwine sauce. The mains were truly mouthwatering!

For dessert we had Berry Pavlova, the pavlova was little dry but other than that ok. Berries are always good.

Overall little disappointing bc of the starters and dessert but like mentioned before, their menu changes weekly so would definitely try it again!

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely little place, inspired food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Unfortunately, I only discovered this lovely little restaurant on the last night of my time in Helsinki. Having lived just up the road I had walked past this unassuming little place several times, but only went to eat there at the recommendation by a friend. Compared to a lot of the other dinners I had in Helsinki this was certainly one of the best, but also one of the most reasonably priced. Considering the innovative food on offer and the quality of the ingredients and preparation, a price of under 40 Euros for a three-course meal is more than fair. The nettle pancakes that were part of my vegetarian main course were the star of the show. My friend is a vegan and was given a wonderful three-course vegan meal prepared especially for her (we booked ahead, of course). The wine list is small, but excellently chosen. I much recommend this place and will certainly go back when I return to Helsinki.

• Visited June 2013