“Bad service” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Raffaello

Raffaello
Aleksanterinkatu 46, Helsinki, Finland (Vironniemi)
+358 9 6844 0718
Neighborhood: Vironniemi
Jarvenpaa, Finland
“Bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I have lived in Finland since 1996. We have wondered about this restaurant for many years and finally decided to give it a try. We live in Järvenpää 35 kilometres north of Helsinki. The food was OK but the prices were quite too high for the portions offered. My meal was good but my wife's pasta dish wasn't very good at all.
Starters were very good but ridiculouly expensive for a very small portion.
The service was very, very slow and although friendly enough uncoordinated. We waited over fifteen minutes for a cocktail in a room that was less than a quarter full. Our starters arrived 30 seconds after our drinks. I had to get up to flag down someone to deliver the bill. Not worth the money. I expected something a lot better in this price bracket. Very disappointed.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Helsinki, Finland
“mainstream food for tourists”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This place has a very good location and is obviously mostly visited by tourists. I have visited several times during the last years and have always got a table without reservation. The menu looks rather nice but the food is usually quite mediocre. Had now the salmon pasta that was pretty dull and tasteless. Expensive mainstream food in a rather nice interior.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Lima, Peru
“Convenient location, not so convenient service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

To locate in Finland a good restaurant with good food and service with decent prices can sometimes be challenging. We had a business dinner at Raffaello restaurant, at a convenient location downtown Helsinki, close to major hotels, which was our reason to select this place.

I'm not too sensitive to less than perfect experiences, but even so when inviting people for a business dinner things are supposed to be good and be working fine. Nothing scandalous happened, but I was not happy with the experience. When asking for a quiet table where we can talk business without disturbing other people - and vice versa - the reception lady announced simply that business can be discussed anywhere and does not need a table choice. OK, great, we were now so informed.

Visiting Finland you may wish to taste Finnish - we did not find such originals in the menu. Our mistake to select this restaurant. The beer selection in our eyes was narrow, unknown brands for a casual visitor. The salmon appetizer which we ordered was so very tiny that I thought it is a small tapas given (in many places free) when waiting with drinks for the ordered courses to come. No, it was the real appetizer, and expensive for what we received. The salmon main course was a combination of slightly under cooked salmon with sweet potatoes. Innovative, sure, but not what I would like. It's a bit like the reindeer meat served with chocolate sauce which was my other unforgettable experience in another Helsinki restaurant few years ago. The coffee was not good.

The place is reasonably cozy, a bit old fashioned, and the service is nothing special. You will survive this place, but we were not happy to invite people in it. For a quick (and overpriced) meal it could be OK, but for something nice with friends or business partners, I would probably look for another place.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Canberra, Australia
“Fantasic food. Friendly service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Had one of the best meals here. Starter sharing a good, thin crust pizza followed by mains. Generous serve of well cooked pasta with chicken. Veal liver with bacon and veg, cooked to perfection and both generous sized served. No dessett. No room!

Milan, Italy
“price high, portion small”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

The food is very good but... it's too much expensive and portions are too small !
60 euro for two little piece of Salmon a beer and a water !! I