“Very cozy” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Helsinki, Finland
“Very cozy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2015 NEW

we love this place .. the interior is fantastic .. rustic and cozy .. service and food is great ..i always take the same dish from this restaurant.. but all the menu looks great

Visited January 2015

Helsinki, Finland
“Thank you for the past years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2015

I´m possibly the last one to review Kynsilaukka, since they are closing the restaurant at the end of January 2015 after 28 years. We made our first visit soon after they had opened in 1987 and visited for the last time at the end of January 2015. Meanwhile, we have visited the restaurant every now and then, but we have remembered all the time that it is there, open 365 days a year - even on Christmas Eve and Midsummer Eve.

We had lunch consisting of blinies plus day´s fish and snails plus garlic sausages - all including garlic. As a dessert we enjoyed arctic cloudberry crepe with ice-cream (which did not contain any garlic). We shall miss the possibility of enjoying, every now and then, that kind of meal in the future.

• Visited January 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Garlic maniac”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2015

They put garlic in everything..... Raw garlic, cooked garlic..... even garlic beer..... garlic soup, garlic sausage, garlic seafood..... I simply love it!!!!!

United Kingdom
“Garlic heaven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2015

this is my favourite restaurant when ever I visit in Helsinki, I think my first visit was over 15 years ago and it never lets me down. Busy even in Tue nite , glad we booked in. Garlic schnapps lovely and smooth to start. The starter of king prawns was a bit of a disappointment, 3 prawns with a salad.. tasty, but value for the money? My husbands fish soup was a good size and delicious.The main dish of the lamb stew, soooo nice. you really have to love garlic in this place as the name suggests. their "pickled" garlic so tender and tasty as well the pesto with homemade bread, wow.! I wish they'll sell them.You can eat in piece and take as long time as you like. -Only other criticism is that their wine prices are a bit high, even their wine list changes all the time . Staff very friendly and helpful.

• Visited December 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Zurich
“Christmas Eve escape - worth while!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2014

Looking for an open restaurant (not in a hotel) in Helsinki on x-mas eve is a challenge; even Asian restaurants seem to follow the rule that everybody celebrates at home, it seemed. This place is open 365 days a year and we were very happy to find a cozy, friendly restaurant with home cooking and this twist of Garlic. I had the Garlic menu, which is a Garlic cream soup, a Garlic sausage with a special sweet mustard and for dessert a "garlic ice cream", which is however a scoop of nice vanilla ice cream in a watery sauce of Garlic, Orange, Lemon and Rosemary. Actually the flavors matched very well on this dessert; I had been a bit worried reading "Garlic ice cream". On the à la carte menu, there is also a vegetarian option (tofu), but other than that it's meat or fish. I can recommend this place, not only on x-mas eve!

• Visited December 2014