“For the price it was ok.” 3 of 5 stars

Omena Hotel Eerikinkatu
Eerikinkatu 24 | Lonnrotinkatu, Helsinki 00100, Finland (Kampinmalmi)   |
Ranked #45 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
Dublin, Ireland
“For the price it was ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

For the price this is ok, clean and nothing big to complain about. It is a low budget hotel, no staff, no room service, no front desk. So if that is ok for you it is a good place to stay.

Pro tip:

I used to live in Helsinki for years and recently moved back, so I staid here until my apartment was free to move in. For people coming from abroad, before you book a room here, check the other "real" hotels. I paid 95 € a night when I staid here, and that is usually a fair price in Helsinki. But if you are planning a trip to Helsinki a few months in advance, call a competing "real" hotel. You might get a stay there for the same price.

I know from experience that you can get rooms in one of the good hotels in city centre for 90+ € a night if you are booking a few months earlier. So before taking this low budget alternative pick up the phone and call.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chiba, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I got my wallet stolen by a group of thieves who came into the hotel lobby after me -- I was surrounded by 4 people. When inputting the door code, I did not realize that people coming after me were non-hotel guests.
As there is no staff in the lobby space, nobody can prevent someone suspicious from coming into the hotel... so, security-wise, I cannot recommend the hotel to anyone, though I know that this is a budget and decent hotel for Helsinki, a pricey city.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Having seen the price of other hotels in Helsinki, opted to go for this one purely based on cheap price. It was much better than I expected. Room was quite spacious - though bathroom very small. Didn't expect tea/coffee making facilities, but they were there. Nice little seating area in front of the TV. The bed had a little skinny matress on top of a normal matress, which slipped off the bed a bit, not the most comfortable bed ever. One thing putting me off was all the reviews saying the windows didn't open. Our windows did open, no problem. I didn't think I would miss the reception, though I did for things like booking taxi to the ferry, tourist information, etc. But it turned out there is a taxi rank right across the road. But it's absolutely fine for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Koblenz, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

hotel is not far away from central train station but I would not go by walk from there with big luggage.
there is no reception at all. you have to be sure to know your access code (sent by email).
we didn't get any new towels or room cleaning on second day.
price was ok for Helsinki.

Room Tip: any room ok for short stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Leysin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

The room had a lumpy mattress which was also too soft. There was an uneaten piece of food inside the microwave. The plastic cups made the coffee taste disgusting. The hotel is in a dodgy neighbourhood with an extremely unattractive entrance. there are, confusingly, two other hotels (at least) of the same name in the vicinity, one of which had two people sleeping inside the entrance door. None of these establishments have a reception so they accumulate mainly oriental clients who have forgotten or lost their entrance pin codes. In front of one of the other Omena Hotels were to be found, regularly, ladies of the night of a deeply melanotic hue.

Room Tip: Suggest avoiding these establishments unless you are really desperate
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was only here for one night before moving onto Estonia and I was pleased it was just one night. The location wad good, about 10 mins walk from the Central Station where the airport bus terminates. With a smartphone you can find your way easily.

I viewed the hotel being unmanned as a positive, I received the room number/door code 24 hours before check-in by email and a SMS confirmation few hours before check-in. The check-in experience was smooth, in less than one minute I was in the room having to use the code three times (main door, door for the third floor corridor and my room).

The room was of average size, but having the bed so close to the room door was not the best idea I have ever seen. The bathroom is what I would call typically Scandinavian, small but functional, however with cleanliness average at best. The soap dispensers on the wall (one for the shower and one over the sink) were missing (you could see the four screw holes for each) and there was one plastic bottle put on the sink for soap.

Regarding the cleanliness, this is one of the worst rooms I have seen for some time, there were some brown marks on the wall, not the usually wear and tear of a room (I did not check these brown marks closely). While the set-top box that sits under the TV had not been dusted for weeks, I did take the liberty to write 'clean me' on top of the box, I hope the cleaner took the hint and my comment is still not there now.

The remainder of the room was made up with an area featuring a kettle, a microwave, the already mentioned TV/set-top box, two chairs with desk and two chairs which would unfold and make up an extra two beds. The free Wi-Fi worked fine and was simple to access.

Since I was here just for the night, I did not spend too much time in the room until I wanted to sleep. Then I realised the air-con had no control and in actual fact was there an air-con in the room? Not one I could identify. With how stuffy it was, then I decided there was no air-con in the room.

Then there was the noise in the corridor which kept me awake, remember I said the bed was close to the room door? The noise was simply other room doors opening and closing (most squeaky and could with some lubrication) and the nights sleep was bad. Not to mention a well worn mattress in which some springs would make noise while turning over in bed.

So for approx. 90 Euro/night without breakfast, a poor hotel which has so much potential if it was looked after better. It almost seems since it is unmanned, the team does not care about the cleanliness since there is no one to complain to. If I ever return to Helsinki, then I will be looking for alternative accommodation. Avoid unless it's your last option.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Omena Hotel Eerikinkatu? Share your experiences!