“Two stays in 6 months” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Brussels, Belgium
“Two stays in 6 months”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

I first stayed at this hotel in May 2010 for a business trip. It was my first visit to Helsinki. I was very happy to find it was quiet, clean and only a 10-15 minute walk to the centre and the harbour. It was a real bonus to find it is in the middle of the Helsinki Design District - lots of tiny boutiques, galleries and designer shops on the local streets to explore in the eveninga nd weekend. I was so happy, I asked the client to book me a room here again for a trip in September 2010.

Staff are helpful. Check out the tips sheet with recommendations for local bars, restaurants, shops and clubs written by the young staff (leaflet in the tourist info box by the Reception Desk). There's also a bike hire shop on the same block.

I had a single room at the back of the hotel. Contemporary style, it was very clean with a good sized desk for working, free wifi and plenty of lamps. The bathroom is a reasonable size shower room with a good shower. Slightly reminiscent of a student hall room (strip lighting, only shelves and one small rail for clothes). I was staying for 4 days and asked for extra coat hangers. The rooms also have a flat screen TV (limited number of channels - international = CNN only) and a safe.

Breakfast is a copious hot and cold buffet. The hotel restaurant is Italian - I ate there one night and had a delicious salad caprese and a risotto.

The Bar lounge had comfy sofas and free newspapers

As a single woman travelling alone, I felt very safe walking in this neighbourhood, even after dark.

There is a small shop across the street and a larger supermarket up the street (turn right when exiting the hotel).

I had a late flight and was able to store my luggage in their (locked) luggage room all day after I checked out.

The hotel has a sauna but I didn't use it (women only sessions seem to be at 8.30 in the morning).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this review, November 5, 2010
Thank you so much for taking your time to write this review and thank you very much for your kind feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
We will launch a new menu this month in our contemporary Italian restaurant ‘Papa Albert’. The Caprese and most of the risottos will still be included in the new menu.

We hope to see you as our guest again in the future again.

Best regards,

Martin Andergard

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Finnish first
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

We had a very nice stay in the Sokos Albert hotel.
The service is very friendly, the brakfast is very divers(so there's something for everybody).
The rooms are clean and the sauna also(the sauna is free!).
The center is really not far away(with tram 6 just a few minutes) and also on foot it's about 10 min.
There's also a 'greenbike'-rental in the street, where you can rent a bycicle for a day.
There is a nice park just a street farther and in the habour and on the way to the city center are supermarkets (Alepa is the cheapest one and also a good one).

Nice hotel and good place.. I'll go there again!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
hotelmng, Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
Dear Frieke, thank you for staying in Sokos Hotel Albert. We hope to see you soon again. Kind regards, Kati/ Hotel Manager
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My single room was adequate. The hotel's location is a bit off the beaten path. It's a good 10 minute walk to the city center. One day, when returning after a long, hot walk, I stopped at a local market and bought a bottle of soda. When I took the elevator to my room, I saw the cleaning staff were just about to enter my room, so I went to the lobby to wait and drink my soda. The desk clerk saw me sitting in the lobby and she came over and told me I couldn't bring my own drink into the bar and that I would have to leave. I told her I would leave as soon as my room was cleaned. She told me I was breaking a law and must leave. I refused and told her to tell the cleaning staff to hurry up. She did and I went to my room. She made me feel like a criminal for drinking a coke in the lobby (which was also the bar). Staff should make guests feel welcomed and not like a lawbreaker.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
First of all we would like to thank you for your feedback. All the feedback is important to us to improve our services. We are truly sorry to hear about your negative experience at our hotel and your review was read with the personnel. Hopefully your trip to Helsinki was otherwise a nice experience.
NE Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Albert, even after reading through the reviews, but I thought it was marvellous - so much so that I'll be staying there again next year. My upper level room faced the rear of the hotel and was stylish and comfortable, everything felt clean and new and beautifully designed. After a long flight from Australia, the powerful shower was a joy and the bed was one of the best that I've ever had, firm yet softly padded for a dreamy sleep.

Breakfast featured a dazzling choice of goodies, more than enough to set me up for the day, the staff were all very helpful and the secure luggage storage room was a bonus. For me, the Albert was a nice distance from the city centre and harbour, about a 15 minute walk down leafy Bulevardi - close enough to be handy but far enough away to be quiet at night. I felt safe travelling in the area as a single female and public transport connections were excellent (even on a sleepy Midsummer weekend).

The exterior is a little unprepossessing architecturally, but the interiors more than make up for this. I usually stay in hotels with a little more age and "character", but I was very happy with the Albert. I also thought that the price was reasonable for the position and quality - I paid 73 euros per night, with a little extra charged on top of that for an early check-in (well worth it after a long-haul flight).

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Albert.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I paid less than $100 per night including the breakfast buffet and wireless high-speed Internet. (Note: Internet access did not work on my BlackBerry but did work on my laptop.)

The hotel looks like you would imagine a nordic designer hotel. Great colours, great materials, great bed that's large by European standards, great details (including the fluorescent fire instructions on the door).

A word of caution: there are two Sokos hotels on Albertinkatu (Swedish Albertsgatan), this one as well as Sokos Hotel Aleksanteri. However, the two are less than 200 metres apart, which means that even if you forget to tell the cab driver the right hotel name it won't be much of a hassle.

There is an R-Kioski convenience store directly across the street from the hotel, at the intersection with Uudenmaankatu (Swedish Nylandsgatan). There is also a larger supermarket on Albertinkatu (with much better prices), just go right when you exit the hotel. If you want to get to the main shopping street Mannerheimintie (Swedish Mannerheimvägen), go left when you leave the hotel, then turn right on Bulevardi (Swedish Bulevarden). In less than 10 minutes you will have reached Mannerheimintie.

Breakfast buffet was fantastic. Who doesn't like pickled herrings, meat balls, and eggs for breakfast? But don't worry, they had more boring choices too. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant for lunch or dinner, but the prices seemed better than at most Helsinki restaurants, and it was always well attended, so I assume it has to be decent.

Overall, an excellent choice in Helsinki. A great hotel with lower than expected rates.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I would definetely recommend this hotel if you are to stay in Helsinki for more than a day.
It is not as central as some other hotels, but it is still in the center with a very nice park 100 meters away, good tram connection, shopping streets, bars, etc.
Breakfast is fine. Hotel is clean and standard rooms are not small at all, just the right size if you are travelling without kids.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

I stayed there over Christmas break. My reservation was transferred from the Sokos Aleksanteri, which is just down the road from the Sokos Albert. The Sokos Aleksanteri was closed until 1/4, which was the last day of our trip. The staff was friendly and I had no problems checking in or out. My friend and I shared a standard room, which was perfect for us. It comes with two single beds, a flat screen TV and a minibar. We basically just needed a room to sleep in, nothing too fancy. It is about a 5-10 minute walk (depending on where you are going) to the city center. The price is certainly right, and I am staying there again while I am in Helsinki next month.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Albert? Share your experiences!