“Nice hotel in a quiet area” 4 of 5 stars

Original Sokos Hotel Albert
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Albertinkatu 30, Helsinki 00120, Finland   |
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
St. Petersburg, Russia
“Nice hotel in a quiet area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times, and found its location very pleasant: a quiet but central district of Helsinki, next to the Sinebryuhoff art museum (recommended) and about 10 minutes' walk to the main square. Nice interiors, cosy rooms, modern facilities, and comfortable beds. The upgraded rooms have tea and coffee making facilities.

Buffet breakfast is served in the spacious breakfast room, which is actually the hotel restaurant specializing in Italian cuisine.

The only thing I would complain about is the room temperature: the heating system only starts working when a guest moves in, and it takes a couple of hours to warm the room - could be an issue when the outside temperature drops down to minus 20 Celcius, which is not at all uncommon in Finland.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
Co. Meath,Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I spent last week, 20th -27th October in the Hotel Albert and were very happy with our stay. The location is excellent, right in the heart of the city, approx 10 minute walk from Kampii Metro station. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the reception staff. The room was quiet and comfortable. Best of all was the breakfast, enough to keep even hungry travellers going til evening! Great selection of breads, cereals, dried and fresh fruits, seeds and nuts aplenty and a good selection of cooked food, e.g. scrambled eggs, sausages etc as well. I did not book with any of the accomodation providers listed here because I got a much better rate [30% cheaper] with select-a-room.com.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We absolutely liked the hotel. Although there were somethings that we would have renewed, they were very few, and our overall impression of the hotel is great! Our room looked very new. The shower was spotlessly clean, i could see it had been either recently re-done or it was so perfectly maintained because even the white cement between the shower tiles was spotless and not a single dark speck of mould or dirt there (althouh this is the place where you normally see these things!) The room was very cosy, with a nice green round carpet:) I liked the modern style of the interior and new furtinure. The bed was VERY comfortable. just the right kind of soft/hard. Also, their wi-fi is free, to bring your laptop. Breakfast was not the best in my life by variety and choice, but it was fresh and hot:) All thumbs up for this place!

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Good room for business trip. I have tried couple of hotels because of business trips and I have to say, that this hotel and room was very good.

Never been there before, but I just might actually go there again, because an excellent breakfast and really good sleep quality in the rooms. (I did not hear any noice, though my room window was in second floor and facing to the street). In whole, I have nothing bad thing to say about this hotel: it is quite small hotel, but the sleep quality was good. That was the main thing for me.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed in the Sokos Hotel Albert for 2 nights in early October. I chose it on the basis of a meeting rate and proximity to meeting location, but I would stay again even without these factors. The location is fantastic, easy walking distance to everything and very close to Tram 6 stop and 15 minutes to central train station. There are good and interesting restaurants close by (Salve was very good, with excellent service) as well as some cute shops and boutiques.
The lobby seems a little cluttered when you first walk in, but my double room was spacious, well furnished for working, and the bed was very comfortable. Photos from the other travellers are very accurate.
The room included had an ironing board + iron and a REAL hair dryer (not one of those weak versions mounted to the wall). Housekeeping was great, the room was spotless.
Television included several Finnish channels that were playing english-language television shows, plus BBC. The free wifi was excellent, fast and I had no problems connecting in the room or the lobby.
The breakfast is great, with a huge range of breads, fruits, porridge, eggs and savory items, digestive biscuits and even a few different coffee options (all self serve so you can get it QUICK!).
I found the service to be professional, friendly and efficient. The front desk helped me when I had questions about timing and price of the airport bus. I ate lunch in the restaurant because I was limited on time, and the food was ok, but the service was friendly and efficient. They were happy to serve me even though they were closing in a few minutes and they didn't rush me at all.
My only small quibble is the shower, which is pretty small and leaks water over much of the bathroom floor. Fortunately, the towels are huge and absorbent, so I just threw down the extra one on the floor.
Having stayed in Helsinki before, this was the best of three hotels I've tried so far, and I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Spent 4 nights in a single room at Sokos Albert and was overall pleased with the stay.
Location is great, between so-called "Design District" and city centre. Half way up from Western Harbour, so especially great if you're arriving by ferry.
As I said, I had a single room which was really about the size of half a standard double room, but it was very cozy and stylish. The air conditioning was pretty cold, however, didn't bother to check from the reception but if you prefer not to sleep in a fridge, try to get someone to help you with the settings as there was no manual for air conditioning in the room.
Housekeeping does a great job, replacing even the towels I left hanging on the rack according to the sign that told you to leave the ones you'd want changed on the floor. Useless, but sweet of them nevertheless. :)
Breakfast is really good - apart from the coffe that tasted like coffee machine rinsing water. Never would have thought lactose free pancakes can taste so good! The choice varies a little from day to day, but you'll basically have scrambled and boiled eggs with some vegetables and sausages or meatballs on the side; selection of mueslies and yoghurt; porridge, wide selection of breads plus ham and cheese to top it with. Cookes, pastries and named pancakes for dessert. Yum!
The breakfast itself takes place at Papa Albert restaurant that also serves buffet and a la carte lunch and dinner. Very cozy and enjoyable place!
All in all, I was satisfied with the hotel as a business traveller - peaceful, tastefully decorated and great location away from the bustling centre, but still very close to it.
Would recommend to others and go back myself anytime.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We have used Albert several times for business -guests before, primarily because it is close to both our office and everything else in downtown Helsinki. Also, the rooms represent a good, pragmatic standard and have always received good comments. This time I had four guests staying at Albert for almost a week, and I have now decided not to go back. The reason is that the place is totally understaffed. The (one) person in the reception doubles as bartender, switchboard and, at night, even as waiter for the hotel restaurant. As a result, everything works with a delay. There is a nice wine-bar in the reception area but the staff doesn't really have time to worry about service, let alone care about the ambiance (music frequently too loud etc.). Finally, both the standard of the breakfast and the restaurant in general just communicate the same message: nobody has the time to care.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Martin_Andergard, General Manager at Original Sokos Hotel Albert, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry to hear about your negative experience at our hotel. To improve on service throughout the day we have re-assessed our staffing needs and also discussed this issue with the staff, in order to secure a better day to day service level in the future. We always aim for our staff to be trained and skilled in more than one department. This we believe assures better overall service in the hotel. We also believe that service and hospitality coming from the heart is the most important thing we should provide our guests, and this we failed to do during our stay.

Once again I do apologize for the inconvenience.
However I still hope to see you as our guest again in the near future, so we can make this up to you. Also please feel free to contact me personally through our hotel website contact info.

Best regards,
Martin Andergard

Been to Original Sokos Hotel Albert? Share your experiences!