“A wonderfull experience!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Best Western Premier Hotel Katajanokka

Save Saved
You added Best Western Premier Hotel Katajanokka to your Saves list
Best Western Premier Hotel Katajanokka
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Merikasarminkatu 1a, Helsinki 00160, Finland (Vironniemi)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Lowest Rates Guaranteed
Ranked #5 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
milan
“A wonderfull experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We just loved this hotel, really unusual, more of an experience than a hotel stay.
We were met by a very competent receptionist who was also very friendly, (as were all the receptionists we met during our stay). There was a minor problem at the start of our stay but mistakes happen and I believe in judging a hotel on how they rectify a mistake. In this case the mistake was rectified to our complete satisfation.
We loved our room, well furnished, ultra clean, with a really comfortable bed and a big bathroom with a double shower. We had good WIFI reception in our room, room 214.
Breakfast was in the main restaurant and there was lots to choose from, including freshly made homemade breads. All served buffet style so you could help yourself to as much or as little as you wanted.
All of the public parts of the hotel were well furnished and all of the staff we met were helpfull and friendly, as was the lady manager who always seemed to be available when her staff needed her help.
The hotel grounds were nice and the outside terrace bar was really enjoyable in good weather, the pub inside was nice, too. Although we don't have kids it was nice to see that the hotel catered to children by providing a games room for them. (see photo). There was also a small well-equipped gym.
Another plus for us was the tram stop right outside the hotel entrance. The tram went right into the centre and the station was only 100 yds from on of the stops so that saved us taxi fares. The cathedral, the market square and the ferry terminal for Suomenlinna island are all along this route.
One of the main motives we loved Helsinki was the BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Katajanokka. We would never dream of staying anywhere else if we return to Helsinki and we would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others. A thank you to all the staff who made our stay a great experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The perfect place to stay in Helsinki. Clean, modern decor, and yet a historic property. Great value for the price. A wonderful place to stay within easy 10 min stroll to the city center. I liked being central and yet not in the middle of the hustle and bustle. My room was large, airy and light-filled (it was in the old admin portion rather than the cell block of this converted prison). The lightblocking curtains were very effective, and the soundproofing was perfect. I couldn't hear a thing even though I was on the first floor just down from reception. Breakfast was delicious with amazing fresh bread each morning and many choices of hot and cold options. It's possibly the best free breakfast that I have had.

Room Tip: I didn't see the inside of the cell block rooms, but my room in the old admin/chaplin part of th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed here for one night on my last night in Helsinki. It's perfectly located for the harbour/market square/market hall, and just around the corner from Uspenski Cathedral (a tourist must-see). It's also a very short walk away from Tove Jansson's park and her childhood home at 4 Luotsinkatu, an interesting place if you're a fan of her writing/illustrations!
There is a tram stop just outside the hotel where you can catch the #4 tram to the city centre, I think it was €3 for a single ticket or €8 for an unlimited all-day ticket for any tram - remember to ask for an "inside" ticket if you're just travelling around the centre otherwise you may be charged for "all-regions". It goes via Senate Square and the Lutheran Cathedral so again, is perfect for sightspotting.
The staff were friendly and helpful, spoke very good English, and were very accommodating when I needed somewhere to store my suitcase for a couple of hours. There is a little shop selling mostly prison-related hotel merchandise such as pin badges, umbrellas and chocolates - worth a look!
The room was a lot bigger than I expected, it seemed to be converted from 3 prison cells, and was very nicely furnished/decorated with a big television and free Wifi (although we were pre-warned this could be quite temperamental since the prison walls were so thick!). The beds were super comfortable with lots of pillows (something I require which a lot of other hotels seem to lack). It was very clean and had a lot of storage space with a nicely sized desk and plenty of plug sockets. The windows are big and let a lot of light in for the day, and have great blackout curtains for night.
The breakfast in the downstairs restaurant 'Jailbird' was beautiful. They had gorgeous fresh loaves of bread which I believe I read somewhere were baked on the premises, along with croissants, meats, cheeses, salads, and hot foods like omelette, sausages, meatballs and pastries. It's buffet-style so you're free to eat as much as you like. Although it was all served on tin tableware like a "proper" prison, I'm sure the food was faaaaaaaar too tasty to be considered an authentic experience!! ;)
I'd love to stay here again as it made for a very interesting stay! Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

A friend recommended this hotel to me and the fact that it has been transformed from a prison to a hotel makes it all the more intriguing. The room was bigger than I perceived from photos but it was still a tight space, especially in the bathroom. The area around the hotel is a residential one with many older style apartments that make for a pleasant walking environment. As many have said, it's very quiet in this hotel due to the thickness of the walls. The Uspenski Cathedral is a 5 minute walk away, and the harbourside market another 5 minutes. Or you can take a tram from outside the hotel. There's a handful of restaurants nearby otherwise there are many options in the city centre. You can book a private sauna but at 20 euro per person it was a bit steep. If I ever return to Helsinki I would stay here again.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

The hotel is a renovated jail. Prisoners were actually housed there until the early 2000's. Currently, the ambiance is significantly better than a jail. Rooms are more than adequate, hotel staff is very helpful. The grounds are lovely as well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I have to admit the thought of staying in a former prison didn't fill me with joy, but I am glad I listened to the good trip advisor reviews and booked anyway! Of the four of us staying I had the smallest room, but it had a large double bed and I was staying alone so was not a problem, some of the other rooms were much bigger so it is obviously pot luck. The reception and breakfast were both great, and the room was well thought out with an excellent shower and a huge TV. The only downside was the housekeeping which was erratic. On my first night they didn't clean at all other than pull the bed covers over. After I complained the second night they did rectify this and it didn't happen again. There was also inconsistency with what was provided in the rooms. My colleagues had toiletries and slippers, which were missing from mine and the minibar was not refilled during my stay. Overall though it is such a great place to stay, these minor issues did not affect my final feeling about the hotel, I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
gold coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We loved this 'old jail' hotel. The long gone former inmates would have loved to experience its transformation to an abode full of character with its warm and well appointed rooms, its long balustraded corridors softened by draperies hanging from the rails, its long dining hall with red brick walls and great lighting, delicious and generous breakfast, its wine bar and last but not least the friendly service. Good location within walking distance to the centre. Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Best Western Premier Hotel Katajanokka? Share your experiences!