“I miss those little extras!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel GLO Helsinki Kluuvi

You added Hotel GLO Helsinki Kluuvi to your Saves list
Hotel GLO Helsinki Kluuvi
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kluuvikatu 4, Helsinki 00100, Finland (Formerly Palace Kamp Hotel Glo) (Vironniemi)   |
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Brighton UK
“I miss those little extras!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

It was my second stay in Glo Kluuvi, and this time, because it was summer, I appreciated the location of this hotel very much!
Staff was polite and helpful, and they respected my special requests, like have a window that opens, and even had it open for me! Get a room with the sofa, it is much bigger! Comparing with first time I was at Glo the size of the room was doubled!
I was there on business, and working desk is convenient and comfortable. The bed is very comfortable too!
The GYM is nice, but it was quite hot in there with no airconditioning and windows closed. So I did not use it too many times which is a shame. However because of the location, running in the neighbourhood was real fun, starting in the park and going all the way to harbour.
The only thing that put me down this time was absense of those little extras that make a difference between a classy luxury hotel and a standard normal tourist 3 star hotel. And the price was not cheap at all! I was surprised that I did not have a kettle to make my evening tea anymore, and those wonderful GLO slippers were not there either! Of cause, after enquiring they supplied both for additional 5 euro each. It is not the price that upset me, it is the fact that there was no information that it was possible to have those, and yes, it felt like a bad idea. Same about those green apples they used to have in the GYM, they were like a reward for being good! Those are little disappointments, but this is what makes a difference between 5 and 4 stars in my rating.

Room Tip: Rooms with the courtyard allow to open the window. But there is a bit of a noise coming from the ven...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

2 day stay for a wedding, staff were friendly. Rooms were clean, contemporary and excellent shower. Breakfast was good but lack of hot items means very good and not excellent. Location was excellent and right in the heart of town.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Nice, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Nice design hotel in the very heart of Helsinki at walking distance of the railstation and the design corner.
We've booked 2 deluxe rooms fully equipped. Very good beds and pillows (you can choose among a list to adapt to your sleep needs), very silent environment (you are in a pedestrian area). The staff is rather efficient and nice. Though we had to change 3 times of room for the check in as they did not give us the deluxe room at first and we had to go from room to room (one of them being very large but with no furniture to store our clothes) to get the one we booked !
Good breakfast (we would have liked more innovation for the food) but crowdy at rush hour.
Do not hesitate to cross the road to visit the coffee and ice cream shop (Fazer) it is a must.

Room Tip: the rooms located on the street side might be a little bit noisy (saturdays night)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a good hotel in an excellent position. It is very quiet. My room though on the small side had top quality bed linen and was spotless. I would have liked a shower cap as the shower head was huge.
I do not remember when it became acceptable for a 4 star hotel to have a completely DIY breakfast. I do not see why I should have to get my own coffee by own plate and cutlery. Especially when they moved the whole buffet round from one day to the next! As usual in Scandanavia the bread was fabulous. The berries and yoghurt were good. The scrambled egg was the odd sort you only get on hotel buffets so that was a let down. The hotel would also benefit from a larger lounge as it is cramped. The reception staff were very efficent and helpful though very busy with queues of people checking in most the time I was there. They could do with some more staff on reception. I
asked for a quiet room and I got one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed for one night and had a deluxe room.

PROS

The room was quite spacious, clean neat and tidy and well branded with a lot of GLO merchandise, bath salts, hand and shower gel etc. The bed was very comfortable and it was nice to have a sofa and desk in the room.
The bathroom had a huge sink area, a very large dressing table and mirror as well as hair dryer making it easy for grooming. The bathroom also had a large bath (no doubt easily big enough for two!) which was also the step in shower. This was most welcome following a voyage over from Tallinn and arriving in need of a shower (it was hot and we had a lot of luggage!). In the room itself there is a very useful full length mirror. What we found particularly good is there is a separate toilet away from the main bathroom area in its own room.
We found the storage area to be spacious and there was a iron and ironing board too, there was easily enough space for 2 large suitcases and hand luggage (as well as a safe for valuables).
Despite the hotel being very central, there was little or no noise to disturb us. The curtains offered good black out, which is important with the long summer days.
The bed was very soft and comfortable although some might find it too soft if prone to suffering from back pain.

CONS

Wifi is advertised as being free and this is the case for 256kb, for faster speeds you have to pay extra, which given the price of the hotel you might expect better; indeed we stayed in a Radisson Blu Royal where the wifi was fast and at no additional cost (and still central).
On the less positive side, the staff are surly and very dismissive overall; I was made to wait 10 mins to check in whilst the receptionist gave instruction to the maintenance man and a second receptionist continued with an e-mail. My partner was chased away from the outside terrace whilst she waited for me to get a map from the room after we returned to the hotel together. Similarly, when my partner tried to tell the receptionist, who was talking to me on the 'phone, that she had found the mobile phone that I was looking for in our room, she adopted the 'talk to the hand' stance and ignored her twice, resulting in me needlessly turning the room upside down and a second call from the receptionist.
On exiting the lift on our floor, you are faced with a spiral staircase and a pattern of rocks set against a white wall - my first take was that it was a hoard of cockroaches making their way to the roof!. To the left is an imposing door that you would more likely expect in a hostel in the rough end of town.
On check out I asked how was best to get to the airport and was told the location of the taxi rank; on asking them to call a taxi for me, it turned out that they had an agreed set rate with a taxi company which was considerably cheaper than getting one from a taxi rank.

OVERALL

Impressed with the Location; impressed with the room not impressed with the staff service, decor, nor the wifi.

Room Tip: Book on line saves dealing with the surly receptionists; and cheaper rate online.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
palacekamp, Guest Relations at Hotel GLO Helsinki Kluuvi, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Accidentalexpats,

Thank You for Your review and well-structured comments. I´m glad to read that you enjoyed the Deluxe room as well as the room amenities. My apologies for the inconvenience you and your partner went through when being served in the lobby. It is unfortunate that the service given for you has been below the service standards which our staff has been trained to. The issues mentioned in your review, will be taken into discussion with our front office team members. Once more, please accept my apologies behalf of our team. Hopefully next time you are visiting Helsinki, we would have another chance to serve you better!

With Best,
Enni Asikainen
Guest Relations
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel two years ago and found it hip, while everything they did exceeded my expectations.

This time around they did several annoying things and hence were below my expectations:
- the room was supposed to include free wi-fi but this turns out to be 256kb speed, not usable today so you have to give them money for higher speed...
- breakfast area moved on the first floor, rather crowded in the morning;
- last time I had a huge room, this time I paid more but got a smaller room. What is the logic please?This was the smallest room I have ever stayed in: no room for a chair or a desk, I am writing this review with my suitcase as a desk, in a four star hotel! I did find room to store everything but no room to move around'
- bought a spa room including access to the spa which was closed on Sunday so they refunded me 25 euros;
- I overhead someone checking in and the receptionnist said: you have a small room but for 53 euros I can give you a larger one. They need to do away with this nonsense and clearly post on their site all the room types with the price, so you get what you are paying for.

Location still great of course, you can get there from the central station by walking or hop on the #2 tram, left direction when you are looking from the station.

To conclude: could do better.

Room Tip: Sort out what size room you are getting in advance.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
palacekamp, Guest relations at Hotel GLO Helsinki Kluuvi, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your review. My apologies for the inconvenience you had during your previous visit with us. By the guest feedback we´ve found out that our room category system is making visitors confused, and for that we are now improving the layout of our room categories in order to get the system more clear and simple for the guests.
I hope that you will still consider us for your next visit in Helsinki.

With Best Regards,
Enni Asikainen
Guest Relations
Lidingo, Sweden
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I have been coming to this Hotel for over three years. Every time I am here I promise myself its the last time I will come. However, I usually book my Hotel stay rather late and the preferred hotels are then usually fully booked. GLO has the benefit of being close to my office though. Now to be helpful I will try to be concrete in my critique:

1) Reception service is the worst in Helsinki. It is understaffed and completely oblivious to its customers. It is almost always a long queue due to inefficiency in the reception and when you finally get there you should be lucky if you get a hello as they usually ignore you and talk over the phone. Now when you are there its like talking to someone who is standing in a closet. Its a complete mess all around them - no one in the management give any value to the first impression that they give new entrants.
2) SPA: If you should then want to use the SPA (which now, like breakfast) has discretely been removed from the room rates, you must ask on how to get there yourself. If you follow the hotel directions (which were correct two years ago) you will have a hard time (it’s now on the seventh floor even though all info say it’s on the 8th floor. No one has bothered to change the directions info. When you finally get there you pay 25Eur. Seven times out of ten the spa is empty and the sauna and steam bath are running cold. It is your own responsibility to read the notes while inside - and after have paid - that you must start the facilities yourself and wait for 25 minutes until they are operational again...

3) Rooms & location: The location is what is keeping this hotel from complete disaster and is also probably why no one is having a sense of urgency in fixing the alarming lack of management and sense of service.

4) Restaurant: In complete contrast to this decaying hotel they have an absurd restaurant which is completely overpriced and is running a naive high end Finnish kitchen concept. It’s a new restaurant concept and my guess is they will have to close it down in six months. I hear they had to change the last one because of some not so PR positive scandal...

5) Overall: This Hotel has all the assets of being a great Hotel but bad management has resulted in a serious and now alarming downslide of quality in all aspects. So disappointed!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel GLO Helsinki Kluuvi? Share your experiences!