I stayed in the Hellsten Senate for 5 nights. A few days before my arrival, I received an email from the hotel providing very clear instructions on the self-check-in process. From Helsinki airport, we took the City Express (Finnair, 6.30 Euros each way) that brings you to the main railway station in 30 minutes. From there, its about a 10-minute walk to the hotel. However, I would advise spending 2.20 Euros on the tram (#4) if you have a big luggage, as the cobblerstone footpath makes it quite a challenge to drag your suitcase (our experience on the journey back).
Upon arrival, you just need to key in the code provided at the main door of Block A. After that, you just need to pick up the phone, provide your last name, and the receptionist (located at the other Hellsten hotel) will provide your room number. You will then need to pick up one magnetic door card, leave it on a machine to be activated, and you are ready to go - Simple as that. I was allocated to an apartment in the next building (B). Here, you open the main door by tapping your key card. There is also a lift in building B, a laundry room in building A, and a sauna room in building, which you can reserve by filling up your room number on a slip of paper on the door.
Each floor had 4 units - my studio apartment was well furnished. The only thing missing was a wine opener - you might want to bring your own if you need it. The WiFi password will be provided by the receptionist on request - it worked seamlessly for me, and the signals are good, as they seem to have an access point on every floor.
Do note that they only do housecleaning weekly - I didn't get any, but it didn't bother me. The supermarket is really close by, but do note that they close at 2100. There is also a Nepalese restaurant (we spotted at least 3 Nepalese restaurants in the area) - you get a 15% discount off your ala-carte order if you tell them you are from the Hellsten Senate. The food is good, and the portions are generous.
There are not many TV stations available - however, if you have a laptop with you, you can keep yourself sufficiently entertained. Check-out was a breeze too (12noon is check-out time) - you just need to drop off your card back in building A (where you picked it up).
Overall, a comfortable and cosy stay - it is within 3 minutes walk from the Conference Centre at the Marina. I would stay here again if I am back in Helsinki.
p.s. I found the bed to be very soft - almost feels like a water-bed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hellsten Helsinki Senate is located in Katajanokka, one of the most exclusive districts in the heart of Helsinki. It is a promontory surrounded by water, just a stone's throw from the city centre and its attractions. Katajanokka is separated from the mainland by a channel, but it is possible to reach the city area by four bridges. Katajanokka is also the place where ferries from Stockholm and Tallin dock. Helsinki-Vantaa airport is just a 30 minute drive away. All of the major amenities, including shops, cafés, restaurants and cinemas are within walking distance from Hellsten Senate. The hotel has 52 designed one and two bedroom apartments each with a kitchenette, telephone, satellite TV and free internet access. Some of the apartments have their own sauna. A common sauna can be used as well as common laundry facilities. This old renovated building from 1915 has self contained rooms and apartments ranging in sizes from 28 to 160 square meters penthouse suite. All apartments are equipped with kitchenettes for cooking your own food. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Tingo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, BookingOdigeoWL, Otel, Venere and Agoda so you can book your Hellsten Helsinki Senate reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hellsten Helsinki Senate Hotel Helsinki
- Accome Senate Helsinki
- Accome Senate Hotel Helsinki