“Klaus K - A Botique Stay in Heart of Helsinki” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bulevardi 2-4, Helsinki 00120, Finland   |
Ranked #8 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
“Klaus K - A Botique Stay in Heart of Helsinki”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

I've stayed at Klaus K many times since it opened in 2005. I made the conversion over to an independent hotel from the typical Radisson chain stays (although they served me well through the years).

Klaus K is part of the Design Hotels group and the contemporary design speaks for itself. There were three main reasons: the location in the city centre, the delicious food at Restaurant Toscanini and the trendy Ajho bar where many glasses of wine have been shared with friends. Helsinki Day Spa www.dayspa.fi also resides here.

The rooms are cozy or quite small, depending on how you see it. If you're on business travel, you may have a challenge finding space to work in your room, if you're that sort. The hotel is right near all the shops, restaurants, and culture spots in the centre.

A nice stay for business or pleasure. All in all it's a lovely stay and a unique flavor in Helsinki that I highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

555 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Finnish first
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

This is a nice Scandinavian Designer Hotel with a very colorful ambience to it. The room that I had was nice, although I had upgraded from a “mini” single room to this one, since I just cannot sleep on a 90cm bed. Breakfast was nice, there is a bar, which is supposedly happening more around Thursday and the Weekend. Did not try the Italian Restaurant but it was pretty busy every night. Good place, although not cheap.

Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Chanhassen, MN USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

After doing many hours of research on where to stay in Helsinki, I landed on the Klaus K. I was intrigued with all the positive reviews, the comments regarding the GREAT breakfast and the location.

First off I didn’t want to stay in a “chain” hotel in Finland, so the Klaus K proved to be an excellent choice as a mid-size local hotel. I liked the fact that the rate seemed to fair (hotels in Helsinki are expensive by U.S. standards) considering the location, size and selection of rooms and breakfast. I read that the breakfast was great and the Klaus K didn’t let me down. The food was fresh, local and plentiful. The service at breakfast was fantastic. The hotel was in a great location, easy walk to and from the central train station, down a block from Stockman’s and in front of a tram stop. My room was well-organized, clean and modern stylish. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. External noise wasn’t an issue at all. The service at the front desk was pleasant and service oriented. English wasn’t a problem with the hotel staff.

If I ever I get back to Helsinki, it would be a pleasure to stay at the Klaus K a second time. Kiitos!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
St. Petersburg, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Hot spot, chic, smart, taste, good location, nice staff it's all about klaus k hotel!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Akureyri, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

The customer service was truly exemplary. From the moment that I called to make reservations through checking-out, I received very gracious treatment. This hotel was a splurge for me, and I was very happy with the choice that I made. The location is close to many sightseeing activities, and I felt safe on my solo walking excursions. There was an exhibit of artwork by local children in the lobby, and the desk staff were knowledgeable about the exhibit (which was professionally hung and elegantly displayed). Upon reaching my room, I was very happy with the comfort of the bed and the clean style of the bathroom. The bathrobe and towels were of good quality, as were the bedclothes. My one criticism of the room is that the wall paper was peeling at one of the seams. It was a slight mar on an otherwise elegant room. The room was small, but the space had been intelligently furnished to maximize the useable space in the room. I learned how well the double-glazed windows worked when I decided to let-in some of the springtime air. The noise of the city came-in as soon as I opened the window, but it was very-well blocked-out when the windows were shut. The hotel bar was beautifully decorated and was a comfortable place to sit. The outdoor patio for the bar is on a tiny platform next to the sidewalk, but the comfortable furniture makes it a pleasant place to enjoy the air. The most outstanding feature of this hotel was their breakfast. A buffet of local foods and Finnish delicacies was accompanied by a brochure describing the foods and a map of the origins of the foods. I believe it is the best breakfast that I have ever eaten. The fresh baked goods were delicious; the variety of smoked fish and meats were wonderful; the fresh juices were a lovely accompaniment; the various local honeys were a great surprise... it was all just delightful. I definitely recommend it for someone who likes gourmet food, local foods, or organic foods.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2010

This hotel was recommended to me by a regular traveller to Helsinki several years ago, and I've used it ever since... but this is the first time I've gotten around to reviewing it, for some reason.

The Klaus K is in Bulevardi, basically at one end of Esplanaden near the Swedish Theatre (which incidentally is a great place to eat).

The reception experience is normally very efficient; the ambience is already apparent as there are 1960s/70s-style conical armchairs (like something out of Barbarella) and curvy white gloss laminate surfaces, juxtaposed against the darker woods and furnishes of the restaurant 'Ilmatar' where breakfast is served.

All the rooms I've had over the years have been very similar - dark furniture (like black ash) with chrome plus some luxurious soft furnishings e.g. nice velvet throw & cushions on the bed. Not that I'm much of an interior design victim, but I think it worked OK. As well as regular free WiFi the TV has internet functionality & keyboard for a daily fee, but I've not used it as the free WiFi was always adequate for checking emails.

Sleep quality is good, no noise inside or out that I was aware of.

Breakfast (included) is very nice - typical Nordic fare of bread, cold meats, cheeses, fruit, yoghurt and cake, almost all sourced (according to the menu) from various places in Finland.

There is an Italian restaurant (Toscanini) downstairs which we also ate at and was good.

A reasonably-priced, reliable quality hotel that I would happily recommend to anyone coming for a short stay in Helsinki.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

We stayed for 2 nights in this hotel as we were in Helsinski to see U2. It's in a great location just about 10 minutes walk from the harbour area in one direction and the main train station and shops in the other. It's a very stylish hotel and takes great pride in it's unique design. We loved the bar area, the reception and the restaurant. We had a fantastic Finnish buffet breakfast both mornings. We didn't eat any other meals there so couldn't comment. The only thing we would have liked is possibly some more hot food in the morning. The room we stayed in was large and equipped with all mod cons including flat screen tv, mini bar, I pod docking station, robes and free wifi. The wardrobe area is a bit on the small side and there is a definate design fault with the shower screen! It's fixed to the bath and water leaks between the screen and the bath edge onto the floor - be warned - be careful - use a an extra towel as a mat. There is a sauna in the hotel but unfortunately when we were there it was being used by a conference so was not available to other guests, there is also a day spa.
Helsinski is a great city, very friendly and easy to get around. We especially enjoyed the indoor market hall and a boat trip around the harbour and island area of the city. However compared to the UK it is very very expensive. A small beer 300ml is about 7 or 8 euros and a small glass of wine between 9 and 10 euros. In the big hotels the prices are even higher. With U2 in town we think some prices had been inflated, certainly the Indian restaurant two doors up from the hotel ran out of alcohol that evening!! Shame - the food was excellent. We would definately recommend this hotel but possibly best to win the lottery first!!

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Klaus K Hotel? Share your experiences!