“Just good for the night” 3 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bulevardi 2-4, Helsinki 00120, Finland   |
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Mumbai
“Just good for the night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed here for a night. The hotel is in perfect location. Everything nearby. But somehow didnt find it to be very comfortable. The rooms are very small in size. Washrooms are barely enough for one. The breakfast is good. Nice variety and choice. Spent one night. So cant comment anything on the service. Currently can recommend for one night quick stay.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
Glasgow, Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

On the positive side the hotel location and the breakfast buffet were both excellent and the staff were very pleasant and helpful. On the negative side, our room (Passion Double) was very dark and gloomy. Hotel bar was unmanned and unlit throughout our two week stay so no 'social ' aspect to the hotel. We were refused service in the restaurant twice at about 9 p.m. because "they had been very busy all day". If we had been on a lower floor (we were on 3rd.) the noise from the weekend club would have been unacceptable.

Room Tip: If you are staying at the weekend go for a room on a higher floor to avoid the noise from the club i...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I really wish we could do half ratings so I could give Klaus K a 3.5. Overall, the hotel was above average but the 2 things that were a miss were significant for business travelers like myself.

--Internet - The free access is very slow. Might be enough if you're on personal travel and need to check email or social networks occasionally. But if you're on business and require heavy access, you'll need to pay the extra 10 euros/day to get decent speed.
--Room service - The hotel uses the restaurant downstairs. The food is overpriced, quality OK. On busy nights like Fri/Sat, you're better off getting take out at another place because wait time could be over an hour.

--Service - Front desk staff were very helpful. Provided clear directions to sights, arranged early morning taxis, made phone calls to secure restaurant reservations, had converters for us to borrow.
--Breakfast - VERY good. Great variety including smoked fish, eggs, organic produce, fruit, pastries. Strong coffee. Friendly wait staff.
--Ambience/décor - Well...you are in the design capital after all. The "mini" room (Passion Mini) is exactly that. Compact, very small bed. Worked fine for me as I'm 5 ft but it might be too small for other travelers. I did transfer to the next size room after 2 days of personal stay - as this was what my company had secured for our group. Much better and I think the price difference was 25 euro/night. Both rooms had comfortable beds and nicely decorated.
--Location - Centrally located. 10 min walking to bustling waterfront, shopping, restaurants, museums and access to public transportation. Grocery store nearby too.

Room Tip: Request a room that is not facing the street. There is a busy bar around the corner that can get qu...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have stayed here in the past and loved it so seemed logical to stay here again. The first time I stayed here the room was huge, this time tiny even by European standards. I realize I had booked a small room but I did the previous time. When I checked in they asked if I wanted to upgreade- since I said no, I guess they don't upgrade anymore, but their small basic rooms are very small. Hallways, elevators etc seem to be wearing- hotel wasn't in as good as of condition. Had problems with the staff member who " in charge" of the breakfast each morning. I was needing to catch the ferry to Tallinn. I showed up 10 minutes before breakfast started. Everything was set up, but she told me I was not allowed to take anything etc except a cup of juice which I requested. Very unpleasant experience with that- then 2 days later on a Sunday I showed up breakfast and was told it doesn't up until 7:30 on Sundays? I had to leave for Airport at 7:15 and wasn't allowed to take anything- travelled 22 hours home and not allowed to have breakfast? Thought it was odd they put a bottle of Austrian wine in the room and their selling price is quite high- huge markup for what the wine is normally sold at. Their prices haven't gone down over the years and for the price I would consider checking out various options Glo hotel etc... I recently stayed at the Grand Marina- was pleasantly surprised- one of the biggest hotels in Helsinki- priced lower and much bigger breakfast and bigger rooms- however the walk into town takes about 10 minutes - Klaus is more centrally located( about 5-10 minutes closer to most things in city center)

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Dear gatorbait2008,
I am sorry to read that we had failed to meet your expectations on this stay. With regardst o room size it really seems that on your previous stay we had offered you a complimentary upgrade and therefore set your expectations with regards to the room type and its size. What comes to attitude that you received at breakfast time, I can only say sorry. Totally not acceptable and will be brought up. If you wish you can contact me directly.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

To start, this is the kind of hotels I love, distinctive, modern, too design, great personality, so in principle I love the hotel. The only problem is while you pay a premium for this great design, the size of the rooms and specially the bathroom does not match the category of the hotel, so while the rooms are lovely, they are not practical. I was on my own and I felt a bit squeezed, so if you travel with a companion it would be even more challenging. So if you want something special, this is great, if you want something comfortable, unless you pay mega bucks for the special rooms, you could be disappointed.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more money and go for the larger rooms
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Dear Ricardo B,
Thank you for your review. I see that on your last time you had booked a Passion Mini room. Yes, those are very small rooms and we are open about it. On the other hand those rooms are very well received by travelers who for one reason or another don't have time or wish to spend time in the room. Just sleep and shower. They still can enjoy all other features that we have to offer (breakfast, gym, bar etc.)
Kind regards,
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Well what everyone says is true. Got in at 8am after a flight from Australia and room and a nice cup of coffee ready to go. No real view on my room but great comfy bed and great shower. Breakfast was great I have no complaints

Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had the pleasure to stay in this hotel for 9 days when I was in Helsinki during the summer of 2014. Initially, I stayed in a hotel [No name will be mentioned] in Kampi District which was good. I wanted more personalized touch as I felt that hotel and the reception to be packed with people at all times [Good for them, but I was not a fan]. I decided for an upscale hotel with more proximity to the city center' activities [That hotel was 5-10 minutes walk from the center], so I was looking through jet setter and I noticed that they have only Klaus K as part of Finnish hotels.

Then, I was intrigued. What was special about this hotel to make it special enough to be featured on its own as the main hotel in a luxury travel website. I made a reservation for the hotel through Booking.com. I didn't have any specification as I just wanted a place that it more relaxing.

Few days later, I checked in to the hotel. I arrived early as I checked out from the other hotel by 10am and arrived to Hotel Klaus in 10 min or less. The receptionist was wonderful, she told me that they can check me in a matter of minutes. I was surprised as I didn't expect that I can get to my room that fast ! She explained that the room that they were going to provide for me was still occupied , however they have 2 rooms ready and I can take which ever room that will suit me. I told her that I have no problem waiting for my room to be ready if they can keep my luggage as I will be visiting the city centre and will be back by 2 pm.

At around 2:30 pm the same receptionist [Blond with beautiful Smile ], informed me that my room is ready and my bag is waiting for me upstairs.

Talk about Customer service and insuring that their guests do not need to lift a finger.
The room was spacious and interior decoration was elegant with interesting individual elements , it is not over the top but very tasteful. I have to comment that the room in small for my liking considering that the queen bed occupies most of the space. however there a nice table [ not a desk] with 2 different distinctive styles of accent chairs on the side of the table and within less than 0.5m of the TV.
They are renovating some of the room which will be called the Sky Lofts and will be open very shortly in September of 2014.

The Reception area is very elegant and sophisticated. Think of yourself visiting a museum of contemporary design that is both functional and pleasing to the eye.

Thank you Klaus K for the amazing time i had with you ..
In addition, special thanks to Jennie Laine [ A wonderful receptionist who was always there to talk ,listen and recommends so many things to do in Helsinki. I had the best time talking to her and I gained a new friend] . another lady who was also blond but I am sorry that I could not catch her name , she was the one who checked me in and helped me with few issue regarding my card keys and was the one who checked me out !! Thanks.

Thanks Klaus K . You gained a follower and I will be visiting Helsinki soon and you bet , I will be staying in my new fav boutique hotel besides the Langham hotels ..

Room Tip: All room are very clean , but take note that there is no coffee making table in your room. Dont worr...
Green Features: 2 choice of Breakfasts [ Finnish + Italian ] that will keep you going for your Helsinki adventure
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
TeroThynell, Manager at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you Hessah A for sharing your experience with Tripadvisor community.
I will surely post your review to our staff restaurant for everyone to see and make sure that Jennie sees it too!
Kind regards and hope to see you soon,

Tero Thynell, Rooms Manager

Been to Klaus K Hotel? Share your experiences!