“Great hotel but tiny rooms!” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bulevardi 2-4, Helsinki 00120, Finland   |
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great hotel but tiny rooms!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

As a European currently residing in the US, i've become accustomed to really large (sometimes excessively so) hotel rooms. Often in Europe where space is more limited we don't have this luxury and that is certainly the case at the Klaus K.

The picture in this review says it all - the shower head is almost overhanging the toilet which makes for some messy showers as there's no separation between the shower and everything else in the bathroom. I have to say though I was by myself so it didn't bother me so much but if more than one person was in the room it could get a little daunting.

Size aside, this hotel is fantastic - the staff are super helpful and all speak English really well. The decor is modern yet still has a homely air about it. The breakfast includes a lot of traditional Finnish cuisine but there's also a restaurant on the ground floor which was always packed when I stayed but i've never actually eaten there. There is also a gym but like the rooms, it's pretty small.

Size aside, it's a fantastic hotel but it is expensive - but hey, you pay for what you get.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear whereisnext, I appreciate your constructive and complimentary comments. You raise a good point about this room and I will personally take another look at it with my architects to see if we can change the bathroom configuration. I appreciate your positive comments about our team, the breakfast and our Toscanini restaurant. In addition, I am happy to hear you used the gym. I would be happy to show you our larger rooms since we have rooms in many categories available up to 55 square meters. Thank you for your review in Trip Advisor and I look forward to welcoming you back to Klaus K and perhaps try a different room. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
Fortuna, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This hotel is very convenient and centrally located. The room had plenty of space (maybe other reviewers with space issues had different themed room - I was in the Envy Plus). Lots of nice touches in the rooms - local snacks, comfy decor, great shampoo and products, blackout shades (it was barely dark outside), etc. Best of all, the staff was very helpful, accommodating, and genuinely seemed to be happy to be there and helping guests. The food was delicious, especially the Tuscan restaurant on site. The decor of the hotel was interesting, with more than meets the eye - there seemed to be a story behind many of the elements that tied them together. I would highly recommend this to anyone visiting Helsinki.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Peter55555, thank you for taking time to write your review! I appreciate you comments and I think they will help others when choosing a hotel in Helsinki. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future when you return to Helsinki. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Arrived late from airport, the room is really small. Hotel seems to converted from historic building. For short stay is all right, would expect at least 50%~100% more space to be comparable to other chain hotel room space, e.g. Radisson Blue in Helsinki are.
Also quite a lot of stuff which make room even smaller. E.g. a tray of local products for customer to purchasing.

hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Karju1, I appreciate you making time to write your review. I will admit, we are not like the chain hotels in many ways, which you reference. We have several different types/sizes of rooms to select from. I hope to welcome you back. I am certain we can find the right fit for you. Please contact me so I can handle your reservation personally. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Bay area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

Great location, upscale trendy hotel and room, but after staying here 5 nights, the room is really getting on my nerves. Lack of counter space near the bed, in the bathroom, the strange layout of the room, the tiny non-existent closet, claustrophic entry way, and no bathtub, all add to an experience that's subpar for such a pricey hotel. Perhaps there are better rooms than the one I got (room 606) and I am willing to try this place again, but for this stay, it's 3 stars.

Stayed May 2013
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear fudy, I am sorry you felt dissappointed. I will be very upfront, I understand that a long term stay like 5 days will be challenging in our smallest of rooms. I appreciate the fact that you said you would return. Please contact me directly so I may handle your reservation personally. I promise your next stay will be more comfortable. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Excellent location in the centre of town so you can walk to most of the attractions. Rooms are small but well appointed. Each floor has a theme that carries through to the room. I had a Mini Cooper themed room. The public areas are excellent, quiet and comfortable and the breakfast was a great mix of local and international dishes. I would stay here again.

hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear JohnE312659, thank you for your review! As you may know, we have several sizes of rooms. I am happy to read that you found our newly renewed lobby Living Room to be comfortable. Please let me know if I can be of assistance in the future and hope to welcome you back when you are in Helsinki. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Recently remodeled very nicely with all the amenities. Rooms are compact, comfortable and well-appointed.
The breakfast was a mix of fresh local foods with many of them organic.
The staff was a pleasure to work with during the stay.
Public transport is right outside the door with many shops and sights within easy walking distance.
If there were room, I would ask for a bigger work desk in the room but that is the only quibble.

hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Jeff A, your review means a great deal to us! I am particularly happy to read that you pointed out our exceptional team. We strive to make every encounter memorable. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have recently returned from a business trip where we stayed at the Klaus K for one night, and I have to say that, despite working in travel and having seen many, many 5 star (and less) hotels, I was still EXTREMELY impressed by the Klaus K.

I read the reviews and was under the impression that the rooms would be tiny with no room to swing a cat. I had a standard double room and had enough room to swing a few cats in it if I needed to. Very comfortable bed. Beautifully decorated, very modern and you can tell that a lot of time has been spent on attention to detail and a lot of money has been spent on the refurb. The hotel oozes quality throughout.

The toiletries in the bathroom were very high quality, and I like the fact that they were not in individual bottles. This meant that they are more environmentally friendly and you can use as much or as little as you want with a lot less wastage. The bathroom itself had a brilliant waterfall shower and was designed as a wet room, though rooms with bath tubs are also available.

The decor of the hotel was stunning throughout, very modern boutique. Staff were very pleasant and friendly. Great healthy breakfast.

A voucher for a complimentary drink in the bar was also available in the room. I took advantage and enjoyed a large glass of beautiful white wine.

I haven't considered Helsinki as a weekend break before, but my stay at the Klaus K has made me want to return to be able to share this fabulous hotel with my husband.

Oh and fantastic location too!!

Room Tip: If you prefer to have a bath tub, request this when making the booking.