“Tiny rooms, overall lovely” 3 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bulevardi 2-4, Helsinki 00120, Finland   |
Ranked #9 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
GreenLeadersGold level
Tallinn, Estonia
“Tiny rooms, overall lovely”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Design hotel everyone seems to be very impressed about. Well, perhaps that gets excpectations high. Overall there is nothing to complain except room we stayed in was really tiny (called passion and mystical).
I liked the most breakfast - lots of organic staff available. And location was really convinient.

• Stayed August 2012
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Evenlin456, Thank you for making time to write your review. We have many different styles and sizes of rooms to offer. I hope we can welcome you back to Klaus K in the future and perhaps try one of our other room types which will suit your preferences. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
Lancashire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I defintiely enjoyed my stay at Klaus K, my room was only a mini room but it was decorated lovely and the bathroom was very spacious.

The lobby area and design of the hotel is unusual and really interesting to see.

My only problems were that I think my expectations were too high. I'd read some really rave reviews about the service and the breakfast. However, my own experience was somewhat different. The staff were friendly but certainly didn't go the extra mile like I had expected. For example, I asked at Reception for a taxi and they told me to wait outside where there would be many taxis already waiting. After standing outside for ten minutes though I had to return inside and ask if they could call one specifically for me which they didn't seem eager to do.

The breakfast was nice but there were no hot items served. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to order hot food seperately but then no waiters came round so I just presumed not. On the final morning of my stay the breakfast area was very crowded. I had to queue for a considerable length of time at all the breakfast areas and sit round the corner outside of the restaurant in order to eat.

I stayed at the Klaus K for 3 nights and I was unable to get my room cleaned during this time. The cleaners seemed to come at really inappropriate times! They either came too early or at tea time when I was getting ready for dinner. On that occasion the cleaner explained that they were behind as the hotel was full which I could appreciate but as I was getting ready in the room I couldn't have it cleaned again.

I have family in Helsinki so I visit it a lot and have stayed in a number of hotels. I've found other hotels a lot cheaper and you get a lot more space and an equal standard of service and breakfast at most of the hotels in Helsinki.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear dew bobs, I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations while you stayed with us earlier this summer. I know we are better than what you described but obviously it doesn't matter what I say I know it is what we actually do. I am very sorry for not performing at our norm. I promise you that I have reviewed your comments with each and every team member to show them that although we feel we are doing our best it can happen that we underperform at times. Thank you for making the time to write your review. I truly hope that you will give us another chance on your return trips to Helsinki. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Valdosta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

First off, the location in Helsinki could hardly be better. Klaus K is well situated for the Design District and for the whole downtown area, with lots of shops, restaurants, and bars within five minutes on foot. The hotel style concept is cool, too, and adds some flavour above and beyond the standard hotel experience. Being right in the city centre, space can be tight, and en suite bathrooms and the street-front Italian restaurant are somewhat cramped. We just had one or two niggles with the service: one day we were given too few towels, one of the items in the minibar had already been opened ... small things, but significant. In addition, booking the sauna proved tricky as a couple: we tried to book it for a special occasion, but were told that we had to wait until the day beforehand in case a business group wanted it ... which of course they did. As private guests, we seemed like a second priority. However, the sauna is lovely and well worth the effort of finding a convenient time, as is the attached Helsinki Day Spa.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear kanikoski, it appears as though Klaus K is perfect for you. We will make sure you get to take a sauna next time. I hope to welcome you back in the future. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights over the weekend in Helsinki. The taste of Finland breakfast was superb, as were the surprise glasses of bubbles on arrival. The room was clean and well decorated with quality soaps and linens. The parking under the hotel was relatively cheap for the weekend (40euros) thanks to a 20% discount from the hotel. Overall I find this hotel to be a great little "design" hotel with great furnishings and restaurants. I will stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear DrAndyC, it sounds like you have found all the great benefits we try to provide our guests. I really appreciate you taking time to write all these attributes for others to see. I look forward to welcoming you back to Klaus K next time you are in Helsinki. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Global
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

Rooms are large but a bit dark. Bathroom was pitifully small. Noise from downstairs club penetrates at least a couple of floors up. Good location, but almost every Helsinki hotel is central since its such a small town.

Klaus K is on ok choice, but you can do better for same money. That said, i spotted Finnish rock star Michael Monroe in the lobby....and he probably knows more about hotels than I do!

Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Dear The Global Finn, I am very sorry to hear that you were not that impressed with your experience. I am purchasing additional lighting this year to be installed this winter so hopefully help the problem you noted. I truly hope that you might give another chance when you visit Helsinki. Please contact me directly as I would appreciate handling your reservation personally. Sincerely, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Having had positive stays at other independently owned hotels that are part of a the Design Hotels collection (such as the Claska in Japan and Mira Hotel in Hong Kong), I had high expectations for the Klaus K both in design and amenities. For the most part, I was pleasantly pleased with the design of the hotel and the friendly staff. That said, as a top-end hotel in Helsinki, there were certain polishes that seemed missing.

Klaus K is perfectly located in Helsinki, with almost everything within walking distance to the hotel. The tree lined boulevard that Klaus K is situated on provided a nice level of sophistication, however, I wouldn't go out of my way to pick the hotel for location as most other downtown hotels in Helsinki were close by.

Check-in was friendly and fast, and the room itself (a room with twin beds) large for European standards. For the most part, the room was nicely designed, although it was disappointing that the room lacked an iPod/iPhone dock and that bathroom amenities were of the "shared" type, i.e. large bottles on the wall versus individual ones. The TV, while modern, was also small.

Breakfast was included in the price and good, although even at 10:00 am on a weekday, it was busy and staff seemed overwhelmed. Disappointingly, there was a charge for specialty coffees such as espressos and cappuccinos.

A highlight of the stay though was the sauna. As long as it hasn't been reserved in advance, guests are free to reserve a sauna for an hour. Located in an adjacent building, the sauna and it's facilities provided a nice break to sightseeing although be prepared to walk outside on your way to the basement facility.

Overall, Klaus K was a good hotel, but I expected slightly more given it's rating and price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Dear redeyetraveller, Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review about Klaus K! Your comments are valuable and helpful. I would like to respond to one of your points in the bathroom - our shampoo amenities: when I opened the hotel we had 5 bottles per room (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, body lotion and mouthwash). When you do the math, we were throwing away approximately 50,000 little plastic bottles every year. I come from a background of luxury hotels so I understand your comments however I wanted to find a solution that could be a hybrid. I find Malin+Goetz to be a very high quality brand and trust that our guests will understand that you can still enjoy a pampering luxury item but remain a little more environmentally responsible. Thank you again and when you are in Helsinki in the future, I hope you will return to Klaus K. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Very nice and pleasant hotel. The room was nicely decorated, clean. The bed was very confortable, probably because we were quite tired after the long walk.Hotel is very well situated in design district, not far from shopping center and not far from sea terminal (Tallinnlink: if you have a time - go to Tallinn). Tram 6 is just in front of the hotel, you can make a nice tour of the city.
People in the hotel was kind and service -minded. Breakfast was various and fresh.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2012
Dear Denmelb, Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you noting some of our greatest attributes. And I hope to welcome you back when you return to Helsinki. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager

Been to Klaus K Hotel? Share your experiences!