“Perfect Designer Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Perfect Designer Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

I had a day in Finland between flights and found this treasure of a boutique hotel. This is an older hotel with some history that is now a family-run boutique hotel. If you like Finnish (Scandinavian) design this place is for you. The owners kept some of the nice architectural details of the building, but transformed it into an amazing funky luxury space. It is hip, but comfortable. The location is close to the main station, and is also on the same street as a nice (but quiet) tram line with connections to the entire city. I wish I could find more hotels with such creative independent quality and spirit. The front desk gave good advice and was always helpful. The breakfast was fantastic, including elements from various parts of Finland.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear Drew from Honolulu, thank you very much for an encouraging review! It is going to be great to share this with my team. I hope we can welcome you back some day in the future! All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Finnish first
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

this was our second stay at klaus k (our first stay was a few years ago). this trip was considerably longer; we stayed two weeks. the location is excellent, basically right in the center, near the major shopping, esplanade, harbor, etc.
while we enjoyed our stay the second time around, we did notice that the hotel has skimped on some things- first of all the toiletries are not as comprehensive as they used to be ( i miss the birch mouthwash!), nor the breakfasts as exciting. during our first stay, there was more variation at breakfasts, so you had something slightly different daily. the breakfast was still very good though, and i really like how they focus on special ingredients from finland, like seabuckthorn berry juice. i especially love the barley oatmeal.
otherwise our room was nice and modern looking like in the previous stay. the bed was comfortable. i felt that the bathroom grout could have been kept in better condition, as there were signs of mold and mildew starting- not what i would expect from a klaus k caliber hotel. also, the bathroom sink was a little silly- the spout was really short making it slightly difficult to wash your hands, but having stayed at another modern hotel in helsinki before, i've discovered that there tends to be this kind of "design" flaw, and in the end, isn't really a big deal. the room came with bathrobes and slippers again, which was nice.
overall, still a really good hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Dear Twopeasonepod, I am very happy to hear that you came back to enjoy an experience at Klaus K! I am very sorry you found the housekeeping problems and I assure you that I am working on those diligently. I recognize the importance and I appreciate your attention to details. And thank you for pointing out that we are a very good hotel in this public setting. My contact info is below and I hope that you may reach out to me if you return to Helsinki and choose to stay with us. marc.skvorc@klauskhotel.com and +358409003711. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
brooklyn, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

this boutique/design hotel is where i always stay in helsinki.
i've stayed here around 20 times and it's consistently left me satisfied.

it's clean. staff are friendly. it's well situated in the city.

avoid staying in the single room unless you're a tiny person or you miss the twin beds of university dorm life.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Dear Pauli30, thank you for the kind comments about my hotel! I truly appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience and observations. If you are in Helsinki again, I hope you will choose Klaus K. If you have any other comments or questions about Klaus K, please contact me: marc.skvorc@klauskhotel.com. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Oulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Klaus K is modern and little enough to serve a peaceful environment with desing. Location is perfect for most of Helsinki design shops and for Stockmann. You can also reach many parks, cafes and restaurants, clubs etc. by walking. And hotels restaurants are good for most of us, breakfast buffet is famous with a reason - selection of buffet may be in a middle level, but the quality is really the best of Finland!
Room was clean, stylish and the bed was heavenly soft and air-condition worked well. One little error was room's door, it should be thicker I think...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
U.S.A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

The staff is professional and very very helpful. The breakfast is outstanding. Location is excellent.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Dear Bridge2U, Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about my hotel. If I can ever be of further assistance when you travel to Helsinki please contact me directly: marc.skvorc@klauskhotel.com or +358409003711. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager
Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

Everything was so perfect. First of all — lobby. Beautifully designed with fresh art and true design approach. Nice staff gave us a room we wanted to get and keep our smile for a few days. Room (Passion version) is really nice — spacious with fancy, wooden furnitures, flat TV, comfort bed and well equipped bathroom (big shower rain; malin+goetz cosmetics !!!) and safe. Rooms are equipped with bathrobe which is so useful.

Going the lobby you can buy some designers magazines and — of course — newspapers (I'm not sure they are free or not) and read it in amazingly designed restaurant.

Breakfast was just superb! I might complain on coffee a little bit BUT the food was delicious (fresh cheeses, fruits, meats, breads, home-made jams and honey).

Hotel provides free umbrellas for a bad weather and bikes to feel free and ride the city around!

All in all that's what we called "design hotel". The 4* hotel. Excellent location, service, well equipped minibar and outstanding quality. Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
hotelife, Owner at Klaus K Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
Dear borczynski, I appreciate your comments and the time you took to point out many details that I have carefully selected to present my guests. I am working on alternatives for morning coffee...normally we serve various coffee drinks like latte, etc but only one brewed coffee made in Finland. I will be adding another coffee in the upcoming weeks so as to offer an alternative brewed coffee. We offer more than one type of tea so why not one more type of coffee? If you ahve any questions or comments please contact me directly: marc.skvorc@klauskhotel.com or +358409003711. All the best, Marc Skvorc, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Really great location right in the heart of Helsinki. Has a great bar which was perfect for a post work drink. Didn't try the Toscanini restaurant but it looked nice. Everything very easy, streamlined, relaxed which is perhaps typical of our experience in Finland! Lovely buffet breakfast. If I had one small gripe it was that the rooms (and bathrooms in particular) were not large. Fine for just me, but it would have been more of a squeeze if travelling as a couple.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Klaus K Hotel? Share your experiences!