“Good and clean, rooms a bit small” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #29 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
Den Haag, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
“Good and clean, rooms a bit small”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Nice hotel, close (5 min walk) to a subway to take you to the centre of town. Hotel is nice, personnel is kind, rooms are clean but a bit small (tried 812&402) Shower can be renovated as it is a bit old (but clean), the 402 room shower was too small...couldn't get out easy. Bed was nice and firm but not too firm.
Breakfast was nice and good, orange juice could be better. Too bad breakfast finishes at 10.00 already..
I am missing a swimming pool in this hotel.

Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Mari S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. We are pleased to know that you found our staff and service excellent. Whilst we are pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority.

Sincerely, Mari Salonen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lahti, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

This was my first Holiday Inn experience for ten years. We went there to celebrate my wife's birthday (next year we will have 50 reasons to go Venice, Italy). This hotel also belonged IHG's Point break selection during autumn 2014. The location is excellent in the middle of post-industrial area. Underground station is quite close to it, and of course you can take a nice walk to city center. If you want to go to Tallinn, harbor is in walking distance. A lot of restaurant including fast food ones (Subway, McD) are close to hotel. The hotel itself represent classical hotel style. Thank's for my wife's celebration and my IHG status, our room was upgraded to ninth floor executive room. We had very nice view to sea and inner city, and although hotel is next to very traffic-dense motorway, our room was very silent. The room itself was very comfortable with very sleepy bed, good pillows, brand new TV with around 20 channels. Also free WiFi was available but I use my own 4G system. Bathroom was very elegant and well organised with nice amenities. Shower was very good. The room was extremely clean, and with very good air quality. The staff in reception and restaurant was professional and relaxed. They also were very helpful and friendly. Because of Point break offer we have to pay breakfast but value for money was good enough. All the food items were high in their quality, coffee excellent and there was a lot of healthy choices. At least in Saturday (but not Sunday) kitchen was open for special service. There was also extremely good GYM in the hotel. Altogether we had very nice hotel experience, and we will be back there during the next week. Helsinki is very good city for a weekend break, and Ruoholahti area is good choice if you do not prefer inner city atmosphere

Room Tip: Floor 9 rooms with a view to sea
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you liked our hotel and our services. We are always very happy when a guest contacts us about the great experience and service they have received.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in our hotel soon again.

Sincerely, Mari Salonen General Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014 via mobile

Placed in a ideal location for a walk into the centre of Helsinki, and a shorter walk to the ferry terminal (West Terminal).
Excellent, friendly staff, rooms are a bit warm and there is no air-conditioning; the staff were very helpful in rectifying the temperature situation.
An enjoyable stay.

Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Mari S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this review, October 16, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review! We are pleased to know that you found our staff and service excellent at the front desk as well as the rooms and the location.

Once again, thank you for your review. We hope to have you soon again as our guest!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2014

3 night stay. Double standard room and it is as it is; STANDARD: for the price. Which is very reasonable. Came with Breakfast and what an Excellent Breakfast,. Excellent Service, Excellent Customer service from all staff, Easy and quick check-in. Try the Sauna! From the airport, please take the Finn Air Bus shuttle from Terminal 2, (6 euros) to the Central Railway Station every 20 mins and 30mins ride, Take the Metro 2.50 (Euros) westwards, 2 stops, (4mins) to Ruoholathi, Cheaper than 50 Euro taxi. Out of the station, cross the road to your right, hotel behind Shopping Centre. Shopping Mall, and eating places all around the hotel, cheaper to fill the fridge with your own drinks from the Mall. Wifi available everywhere, hotel, trains, mall, airport, coaches etc. Good hotel....nice and great hospitality

Room Tip: Pray to have a room with a view over the river
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
Mari S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this review, October 8, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your visit at our hotel and for taking the time to write us a review. I'm so pleased you liked our hotel and the striving efforts of our staff. Positive feedback is always nice to hear and it motivates our staff to try even harder. We look forward to welcoming you back soon again.
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2014

I chose this hotel for my 4-night stay in Helsinki in September 2014. I was worried that it seems to be a bit off the beaten path. Little did I know that Helsinki in general is not a very busy city and that it has a great public transport system - several buses have stops in the vicinity of the hotel and they do run like clockwork. I knew that there was some sort of mall right across the hotel, but I did not visit it during my stay.
Because I was there to attend a conference I used the taxi service a few times, also from and to the airport (up to 15E for a ride to/from the hotel into the main part of the city, 40E to/from the airport), so I can say that the hotel staff was always very helpful with that, as well as with directions and anything else I needed (like business services - access to a computer and printer for my last minute printing needs, luggage storage for my last day, before needing to leave for the airport).
The room I got was on the second floor - which I think is actually the first floor of rooms (the reception, restaurant and business services are all at ground floor/first floor level). The view out the window wasn't great (towards a busy road behind the hotel and some construction going around) but I was very pleased to learn that the room itself was very comfortable - no sound from the outside, and with the drapes closed no light was going through, not even in the middle of the day.
The bed was comfortable, the bathroom spacious and well designed, the amount and cleanliness of linens and towels satisfactory. In the wardrobe I found, to my surprise, an ironing board and a flatiron that could have been useful. Thankfully, I didn't need to test them.
I was also very satisfied with the fact that there was a desk for my laptop and free wi-fi in the room that worked perfectly for my entire stay.
The entertainment available on the TV, both free and on-demand was quite varied and of good quality, so nothing to complain about there.
I did not test the restaurant, not even for breakfast, so I cannot say anything about that, nor about the gym and sauna they have.
All in all I was quite satisfied with the services and, although is a medium-priced hotel (especially for Helsinki), I felt good about my stay here.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you liked our hotel and and out services. We are always very happy when a guest contacts us about the great experience and service they have received. Though our hotel is not quite in the city centre, there is quick way to reach it with buses and metro. One can also enjoy the closeness or the sea and have a walk along beautiful canal nearby. Vivid attraction is also the old Cable Factory close to our hotel. It’s the largest cultural centre in Finland offering vast amount of concerts and exhibitions and events.

I am truly sorry about the Metro construction site behind our hotel, the view from the second floor on this side of the building is not very nice at the moment. I am pleased to hear you found our rooms quiet despite the construction site and the motorway.

Once again, thank you for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in our hotel again soon.
Sincerely, Mari Salonen General Manager
Ampthill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2014 via mobile

Had to stay in this hotel while on a business trip, as it was recommended by a colleague.

Having arrived very late a night the check in was fast, efficient and friendly, taking only a matter of minutes, unlike some hotels who want every single detail of your life.

On stepping out of the lift on the floor of my room, I was greeted by the most awful smell, which I can only describe as rotten cabbage. My room was although basic, comfortable and adequate for one nights stay. However the toilet was broken and had obviously been broken for some time. The TV also did not work in the morning, a fault that all rooms had.

I took the breakfast, which I felt was relatively reasonable, when compared to other hotels around Europe. However the choice was limited and was the cheapest products, ie processed ham and only slices of melon in the fruit bowl.

All in all, not the best hotel, however OK for a night.

Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
Mari S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this review, September 22, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your review and for enumerating the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. We are pleased to know that you found our staff and service excellent at the front desk. Whilst we are pleased with the good comments, I truly value the negative comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer. We are sorry for the shortcomings you have experienced during your stay with us. As we continually strive for excellence in customer service, we maintain the ideal of keeping guest satisfaction as our top priority. This feedback will be shared with the appropriate people that can help us make a difference to ensure our valued guests' needs and expectations are met in the future.

Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

We stayed in Helsinki with my wife during my business trip.
I selected this hotel for fair price, it is relatively close to the air port as well to downtown.
The rooms are fine just you can see there are in use for some time.
Only two things which bothered me are:
- lack of air conditioning. There is some central one (heating?) but this was not working. In the room was really hot and bad air after few moments. Window you can not open, just really small part.
- some food on breakfast was not possible to eat. Especially scrabbled eggs. They were I don't know from. No color, taste or structure. Please improve this.

Other than that everything was ok :)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Mari S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti, responded to this review, September 17, 2014
Dear guest,
Thank you for your review! Hotel was opened on 2005 and our hotel is not a brand new hotel anymore. We are continually renovating all areas of the hotel and we’re aware of the need to do this. We aim to renovate all the needed areas as soon as possible.
I am sorry to hear, that you weren’t able to lower the temperature enough in your room. The system is not similar to air-condition, that immediately blows could air in to the room. It isn’t as effective as these kind of systems. On the summer time we try to lower the temperature as much as we can.
Thank you also for your comments about the breakfast. We will share your feedback in our management meeting to improve our breakfast quality.
Thank you again for your review and I hope to see you soon again in Holiday Inn Helsinki West – Ruoholahti!
Best regards, Mari Salonen General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Helsinki West-Ruoholahti? Share your experiences!