“Home from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hellsten Helsinki Parliament

Save Saved
You added Hellsten Helsinki Parliament to your Saves list
Hellsten Helsinki Parliament
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Museokatu 18, Helsinki 00100, Finland (Formerly Accome Tolo Apartments)   |
Venice
“Home from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I arrived the day before good Friday and was a bit worried as I had read mixed reviews and that if it was as bad as I'd read I would find it hard to move as a lot of Finland stops at Easter. All I can say is there was no need to worry the apartment had more than I could have expected it really was like a home from home. It was spotless,great location,and easy to find ...I really recommend this place and would stay again if the occasion arises.

Room Tip: Higher up rooms are so quiet also remember to book the sauna with plenty of time ...they love them a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Kenora, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I recently stayed at Hellsten Helsinki Parliament while attending a conference at the University of Helsinki/Finnish Meteorological Insitute. I wasn't quite sure to expect but it turned out to be the perfect hotel for my stay in Helsinki. First, the room was huge and provided ample space for a comfortable, extended stay. Second, the location--about a ten minute walk from central Helsinki--was perfect and in a quiet residential neighborhood. One of the biggest perks at this apartment hotel was the FREE laundry. When traveling in Scandinavia, it can be difficult (and expensive) to find a place to do laundry. I would definitely stay here again if I ever find myself in Helsinki because as it's an excellent value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mosjoen, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Was there 5 days as a friend trip and was clean and big apartment,nothing to complain about.
Nice kitchen and biig living room and the biggest bedroom i ever been in.
had a great stay and not too far to walk to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

My two children and I stayed here for 4 nights, Monday to Friday, in February.

Staff: We found the reception staff very friendly and helpful, supplying maps, providing directions and tips for the week (including a tip that the Olympic stadium was offering ice-skating that week!) ; they also booked our taxi to the airport and let us stay in the apartment 2 hours past the normal departure time.

Apartment: We got a “triple room” apartment which turned out to be one bedroom with two single beds in it, plus a big sofa bed in the main living room / kitchenette. Perfect for our needs.
This was apartment 244 (Building 2, 4th floor) we were opposite the little lift and suffered no noise at all (apart from a German lady neighbour who once spent 20 minutes screaming angrily into her phone at midnight in the staircase somewhere). It was nice and warm, nice views too. Good security with electronic key cards. We slept well.

Cleanliness: Since we were only there for 4 nights, we did not experience the cleaning during our stay. The apartment was superficially clean enough when we arrived. On closer inspection, the kitchen chairs were fabric-upholstered and the fabric was quite dirty.. also my sofa-bad mattress did not look too nice when I removed the sheet to fold it up.. probably par for the course for 3-star hotels! Also the cutlery and crockery which I presume had been cleaned by the previous occupants were not really perfectly clean either.. safest to wash before use I think!

Facilities: There was one small TV with a few channels, yes, some programs were in English too. The wifi was free and worked well on all our devices. The kitchenette in the main living room was small and basic and functional: fridge/freezer, sink, hob, microwave (with built-in grill), kettle, coffeemaker. Shampoo and bath / body wash was provided.. as well as washing up liquid, kitchen towels, bin bags etc for the kitchen, but no hand soap (I had anticipated that and brought my own from another hotel :-)
The provided bath towels were adequate. If you like really big ones, bring your own.
We reserved the communal sauna for ourselves on one evening, it was very nice!

Location: as many other reviewers have explained, this is in a nice quiet location, a few minutes walk from tram, and about 10 minutes walking distance from the central train station with its shops. But if you want to be right in the middle of life, with many pubs and restaurants immediately next door, this is not for you.

My top tips:
- Bring your own hand-soap.
- Bring your own towels if you want really big ones.
- Try out the sauna, and go reserve your “hour” there early else you will find it's already booked
- Wash cutlery/crockery before use

- Ref travel, I was considering the expensive “Helsinki card” for us all to provide transport etc. But in the end I just bought 4-day unlimited city travel card (covering tram, bus, ferry to Suomenlinna etc etc) from one of the R-Kioski places which worked out FAR cheaper (€20 for an adult for 4 days)

I plan to write reviews of the Helsinki attractions that we visited soon. Please ask if you have any questions.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

At first we thought we had made a terrible mistake booking this hotel. However, once we had figured out how to get into the room and settled after 30 hours of travel we softened to the room and location. It feels like you're miles away from anything but it's only a 10min walk to the city centre.
We stayed for 3 nights, went to Lapland over christmas and returned to this hotel for 2 nights afterwards. Both rooms were spacious, clean (although there is not a daily room service), good kitchenettes, warm and the sauna is an added luxury.
It is definitely a "look after yourself" sort of hotel but it's ok when you understand that. The receptionist fell ill one day and locks everything up and leaves a note sticky taped to the window! The complimentary laundry is a godsend too.
It's quiet, close to everything, clean and comfortable. Great value for a family of 4.
We would definitely return.

Room Tip: If your flight is due in over the weekend or after hours make sure you call to advise them and get d...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

I liked the quiet neighbourhood and short walk to the shopping area. Rooms were clean, we had a little kitchen-corner and very comfortable bed. It's also very near to the Töölön Sportshall and we had only 10 minutes walk there.
Also there is 10 minutes walk from hotel a big park around the lake, Töölönlahti. Nice place to run and walk.
I think I would use this hotel again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for a night. The Finnair Shuttle bus stops at Scandic hotel, Hellsten Helsinki Parliament is about 500 m from the bus stop.

We arrived on a Sunday night. Apparently, the receptionist was not in operation. You need to follow the instruction given by the hotel to enter the apartment and get the key to the room.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment. It can sleep 4 comfortably with ample of space to put your luggage.

The design of the apartment is rather unique. There are many twist and turn staircases.

Railway station, senate are all within walking distance from the apartment.

Overall it is value for $.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hellsten Helsinki Parliament? Share your experiences!