“Great for budget travellers or short trips” 4 of 5 stars

You added Forenom House Helsinki to your Saves list
Forenom House Helsinki
2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Hitsaajankatu 12, Helsinki 00810, Finland   |
Kuwait
“Great for budget travellers or short trips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Forenom House was my first experience at an unmanned facility (i.e. no front desk reception, no keys), and I must admit I am pleasantly surprised.

The hotel's location is very convenient because it is outside the city center, but within easy reach of most basic services (there's a shopping mall, a small restaurant and a supermarket within 5 minutes walking distance). Although it appears to be at the outer perimeter of an industrial area, there is very little noise pollution and the area appears safe.

Access to both the hotel and your room is through a number code that you are sent prior to your check in date and time, so be sure you have access to your email shortly before you need to check in. If you don't receive it in time, all you need to do is call their number (clearly signposted on the hotel's front door).

The rooms are spacious enough for 2 people, but pretty tight if you plan on staying for extended periods of time or have plenty of clothing. Our room came with a flat-screen TV (with a limited selection of channels, but sufficient to keep you entertained), a small fridge, microwave, kettle and basic kitchen utensils. Overall, the room was well maintained and clean.

Laundry facilities on site (washing machine and dryer) where an added bonus; its amazing how much of a difference it makes to be able to do your own laundry and not get charged for it.

Overall, this is an excellent choice for budget travelers who don't mind doing a few things for themselves (e.g. tidying up their own rooms, doing laundry, etc...). I wouldn't hesitate to use Forenom House on my next trip to Helsinki.

Room Tip: You can't really choose your own room, but there appears to be alot of variance in size.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Moscow, Russia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

A pretty good way to stay in Helsinki among green and quiet places not so far from the central part. Everything is new and ok, from beds to wine-glasses. But be careful, there is no reception there, entrance|exit with key code.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mirka L, Public Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for your review! You are right, we do not have a traditional reception in the hotel. At 4 pm on the day of arrival, we send you an SMS and an email, which has your room number, parking place (if requested), and your keyless entry code. This allows you to directly access your room. So no hassle with traditional check-in required. We also have 24h customer service that can be reached by phone if there are any problems. Welcome to stay again!
Vaasa, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

very nice and quite place outside Helsinki in Herttoniemi. I was excpecting much lowe standard and cheaper rooms when I first booked this room. But when I arrived and I saw the rooms it was much better than expected. Nice walls, tv, beds and bathroom. I really recommend this hotel if you want to save som money when visiting Helsinki. You can take the metro to the centrum, it costs 2,20e and it will take about 10min.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that your stay was comfortable and on the budget too. Welcome to stay again!
Kaustinen, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hotel staff left my email unanswered (namely Mr. W.K., who seems to be pretty eloquent here on the PR side). The stay itself was ok, but nothing that would justify the hotel disrespecting guests (if anything does).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Mirka L, Public Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hi Michal, I apologise that our staff hasn't responded to your email. We do not want to disrespect our guests in any way and I am sorry if you feel this way. However, it is always best to contact us through our customer service email (or phone), not by personal email as mail sent to someone's personal email might get lost. If you want to discuss this further please contact our customer service. We are happy to help anytime.
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

DO NOT STAY IN FORENOM HOUSE! AVOID AT ALL COSTS. My girlfriend and I booked 3 nights to stay there while we were sorting a Russian visa and it was nothing but hassle from start to end

1. When we booked, the whole amount - €225 - was debited to my account. There was no prior warning of this and it was most inconvenient.

2. they do not send the electronic code for the door ahead of time. I received it via email at 3.45 after searching for a wifi spot. For those of us without 3g, 4g or a finnish number. This is a ridiculous system. Why not generate a unique code, email it a few days before and activate it the day of check-in?

3. The check-out is at 11 a.m. but check-in is at 4. Guests are expected to clean there own rooms, so why is there five hours between guests leaving and guests arriving? Is it so difficult to change sheets and DO NOTHING ELSE? My girlfriend and I had a 30 hour trip prior to arriving in Helsinki at 9.00am. All we wanted to do was sleep!

4. which leads to another problem. When we arrived (4.00pm on the dot) our code worked on the front door and - weirdly - the laundry room, but NOT OUR ROOM! While trying to contact the customer line, another guest came to speak to us and said he'd had the exact same problem. Using a British number, I had to phone three times. The first time (4.05pm) I was hung up after five minutes of being on hold, the second time (4.12pm) I requested a call back, and the third time (4.25pm) it was finally sorted out after £13 worth of calls I won't be getting back. Further more, Wade K's response to a previous review that there is a kiosk in the entrance hall is a lie. There is no phone, no kiosk, nothing!

5. I RECEIVED A CALL BACK AT 10.30AM THE NEXT DAY! How can it take 18 hours to make a call back? When you are on hold with Forenom, it tells you to press 3 for a call back and the next available person will call you back... Really? The next available was 18 hours away?!?!?!?! If I hadn't called back a third time, they would have called us in the hall way outside the room.

6. Along with the sheets being changed every two weeks, it appears the toilet paper is restocked then too. We had one roll of toilet paper in the bathroom and it ran out during our stay. We had to buy our own! What kind of paid room is this?

7. Lastly, they expect you to clean your own room. Not just the dishes you use (fair enough request) to vacuum, clean down surfaces and take out the rubbish! I've had a terrible stay with Forenom and already paid, besides I don't have enough time since I've to check out at 11. Tough luck, Forenom.

For all future guests the wifi code is Forenom100. Maybe then you can check your email to get your electronic code that doesn't work to a room with no toilet paper.

The one upside I will say was the room itself was pleasant, though not very clean (surprise, surprise) and the shower is good. That's a resounding endorsement....

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mirka L, Public Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hi Sam,

Thank you for your accurate and informative feedback. I am very sorry to hear about your negative experiences at Forenom House Helsinki. We have had some technical problems with the door codes (them not working on all doors) but we are investigating that and hope to resolve the issue as soon as possible. The door codes are sent around the check-in time (4 pm) via SMS or email, unfortunately we cannot send them earlier.

As Forenom House Helsinki is an apartment hotel, it differs from "normal" hotel in the amenities it provides. For example the rooms are not checked every day but every two weeks if you stay longer. The property offers cleaning equipment if the guests want to clean their rooms. I will forward your feedback on the toilet paper to our housekeeping staff.

To resolve problems right away at Forenom House Helsinki we are adding staff member to work directly at Forenom House Helsinki during designated hours guests usually arrive. He/she is able to help the guests with their problems right away.

If you want a refund concerning your phone costs, please contact our customer service by email at info(at)forenom.fi. Hope you have a nice summer!
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed in the cheapest room, 12~13 sq.m., which is what most of rooms are, there's a choice of single bed, with more free space, or twin bed, with rather little free space. These are meant as short-term apartment rentals, or inexpensive hotel rooms for longer stays. Pricing makes first week some 20% more expensive than second. If you book online, you get a discount.

You get a bed, a 1u wardrobe, en suite bathroom and shower, a bedside table, one chair, small table, tv and tiny kitchenette. Wifi is provided. So are a few plates, cups, glasses and silverware.

Rooms are modern, look good mostly in white and grey, functional, a little spartan. Bed is comfy, sleep is good overall, and rooms are slightly enough to work in or invite a friend or relative over, but not that large that you'd spend a lot of time there.

Downsides

"Kitchen" is really tiny, you get electric kettle, coffe make, fridge and microwave, however possible cooking surfaces are very small and very few, don't plan on cooking, it won't work, making a sandwich is reasonable, a salad may already be a stretch.
There are too few surfaces to put your stuff out, you can hang some clothes in the wardrobe and on a hanger, but there's really not enough space for folded t-shirts, underwear, bath accessories, etc. My clothes basically had to stay in the suitcase.
If your room faces the nearby highway, traffic noise is constant, although dampened by reasonably modern windows, is still quite audible. Also highway lights are a bit annoying, if you value your sleep, you will have to pull the blinds or curtains shut.
If your neighbours happen to have a party or just chat away in the evening, you will hear them pretty well.
Linens are changed every other week, and of course after every guest. If you want a change outside this schedule, it will cost you extra.
Checkin and checkout rules are a little odd.

Overall at ~30eur/night, this is by far the best value in Helsinki.

P.S. Forenom (company) offers different accommodation options, this review is only about Forenom House in Herttoniemi, Helsinki.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Wade K, Guest Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello and thanks for the very in depth review, These are very appreciated, as they show exactly what we need to improve on.

You stated that the check-in, check-out rules are a little odd, maybe I can clarify the process. At 16.00, on the day of arrival, we send an SMS and an email, which has your room number, parking place (if requested), and your keyless entry code. This allows you to directly access your room.

If in the event you have trouble, you can either call our 24H customer service, or use the kiosk in the main floor elevator lobby, both go to the same place, the kiosk is free for you to use.

If you have neighbors who are disturbing your sleep, Forenom has a very strict noise policy, and if it is not followed, we will enforce it for you!

Thanks again and welcome back anytime!
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The room was fine, and it was clean but by the description on the web page I was expecting a bit more of a kitchen. I stayed for 10 days and had planned to do some simple cooking. The microwave and fridge were fine, and I guess it was not realistic to think there would be a stove. However, the only sink was a very small one in the bathroom. It was hard to wash the plates because the sink was small, and there was no place to put down the dishes in the bathroom.

There was only one role of toilet paper for the whole 10 days so I had to buy some. the mirror in the bathroom is high and small so I could see just the top 2/3 of my head (and I am not especially short). It would have been nice to have a bigger mirror, maybe on the bathroom door or on the wall next to the door, or even in the hall next to the elevators.

The laundry room was nice, though the booklet in the room said there was washing powder but there was none there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Wade K, Guest Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hey,

Thank you for your accurate and informative feedback.

Putting a mirror in the lobby is a great idea, I will definitely look into having that done.

I will also look into having the laundry soap added to our laundry rooms and for additional toilet paper added when the stay is longer than 10 days.

This is very valuable to us, thanks again for the feedback!

Been to Forenom House Helsinki? Share your experiences!