“Unresponsive staff” 2 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Condominium   |   Hitsaajankatu 12, Helsinki 00810, Finland   |
Kaustinen, Finland
“Unresponsive staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hotel staff left my email unanswered (namely Mr. W.K., who seems to be pretty eloquent here on the PR side). The stay itself was ok, but nothing that would justify the hotel disrespecting guests (if anything does).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Mirka L, Public Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Hi Michal, I apologise that our staff hasn't responded to your email. We do not want to disrespect our guests in any way and I am sorry if you feel this way. However, it is always best to contact us through our customer service email (or phone), not by personal email as mail sent to someone's personal email might get lost. If you want to discuss this further please contact our customer service. We are happy to help anytime.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

DO NOT STAY IN FORENOM HOUSE! AVOID AT ALL COSTS. My girlfriend and I booked 3 nights to stay there while we were sorting a Russian visa and it was nothing but hassle from start to end

1. When we booked, the whole amount - €225 - was debited to my account. There was no prior warning of this and it was most inconvenient.

2. they do not send the electronic code for the door ahead of time. I received it via email at 3.45 after searching for a wifi spot. For those of us without 3g, 4g or a finnish number. This is a ridiculous system. Why not generate a unique code, email it a few days before and activate it the day of check-in?

3. The check-out is at 11 a.m. but check-in is at 4. Guests are expected to clean there own rooms, so why is there five hours between guests leaving and guests arriving? Is it so difficult to change sheets and DO NOTHING ELSE? My girlfriend and I had a 30 hour trip prior to arriving in Helsinki at 9.00am. All we wanted to do was sleep!

4. which leads to another problem. When we arrived (4.00pm on the dot) our code worked on the front door and - weirdly - the laundry room, but NOT OUR ROOM! While trying to contact the customer line, another guest came to speak to us and said he'd had the exact same problem. Using a British number, I had to phone three times. The first time (4.05pm) I was hung up after five minutes of being on hold, the second time (4.12pm) I requested a call back, and the third time (4.25pm) it was finally sorted out after £13 worth of calls I won't be getting back. Further more, Wade K's response to a previous review that there is a kiosk in the entrance hall is a lie. There is no phone, no kiosk, nothing!

5. I RECEIVED A CALL BACK AT 10.30AM THE NEXT DAY! How can it take 18 hours to make a call back? When you are on hold with Forenom, it tells you to press 3 for a call back and the next available person will call you back... Really? The next available was 18 hours away?!?!?!?! If I hadn't called back a third time, they would have called us in the hall way outside the room.

6. Along with the sheets being changed every two weeks, it appears the toilet paper is restocked then too. We had one roll of toilet paper in the bathroom and it ran out during our stay. We had to buy our own! What kind of paid room is this?

7. Lastly, they expect you to clean your own room. Not just the dishes you use (fair enough request) to vacuum, clean down surfaces and take out the rubbish! I've had a terrible stay with Forenom and already paid, besides I don't have enough time since I've to check out at 11. Tough luck, Forenom.

For all future guests the wifi code is Forenom100. Maybe then you can check your email to get your electronic code that doesn't work to a room with no toilet paper.

The one upside I will say was the room itself was pleasant, though not very clean (surprise, surprise) and the shower is good. That's a resounding endorsement....

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mirka L, Public Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hi Sam,

Thank you for your accurate and informative feedback. I am very sorry to hear about your negative experiences at Forenom House Helsinki. We have had some technical problems with the door codes (them not working on all doors) but we are investigating that and hope to resolve the issue as soon as possible. The door codes are sent around the check-in time (4 pm) via SMS or email, unfortunately we cannot send them earlier.

As Forenom House Helsinki is an apartment hotel, it differs from "normal" hotel in the amenities it provides. For example the rooms are not checked every day but every two weeks if you stay longer. The property offers cleaning equipment if the guests want to clean their rooms. I will forward your feedback on the toilet paper to our housekeeping staff.

To resolve problems right away at Forenom House Helsinki we are adding staff member to work directly at Forenom House Helsinki during designated hours guests usually arrive. He/she is able to help the guests with their problems right away.

If you want a refund concerning your phone costs, please contact our customer service by email at info(at)forenom.fi. Hope you have a nice summer!
Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed in the cheapest room, 12~13 sq.m., which is what most of rooms are, there's a choice of single bed, with more free space, or twin bed, with rather little free space. These are meant as short-term apartment rentals, or inexpensive hotel rooms for longer stays. Pricing makes first week some 20% more expensive than second. If you book online, you get a discount.

You get a bed, a 1u wardrobe, en suite bathroom and shower, a bedside table, one chair, small table, tv and tiny kitchenette. Wifi is provided. So are a few plates, cups, glasses and silverware.

Rooms are modern, look good mostly in white and grey, functional, a little spartan. Bed is comfy, sleep is good overall, and rooms are slightly enough to work in or invite a friend or relative over, but not that large that you'd spend a lot of time there.

Downsides

"Kitchen" is really tiny, you get electric kettle, coffe make, fridge and microwave, however possible cooking surfaces are very small and very few, don't plan on cooking, it won't work, making a sandwich is reasonable, a salad may already be a stretch.
There are too few surfaces to put your stuff out, you can hang some clothes in the wardrobe and on a hanger, but there's really not enough space for folded t-shirts, underwear, bath accessories, etc. My clothes basically had to stay in the suitcase.
If your room faces the nearby highway, traffic noise is constant, although dampened by reasonably modern windows, is still quite audible. Also highway lights are a bit annoying, if you value your sleep, you will have to pull the blinds or curtains shut.
If your neighbours happen to have a party or just chat away in the evening, you will hear them pretty well.
Linens are changed every other week, and of course after every guest. If you want a change outside this schedule, it will cost you extra.
Checkin and checkout rules are a little odd.

Overall at ~30eur/night, this is by far the best value in Helsinki.

P.S. Forenom (company) offers different accommodation options, this review is only about Forenom House in Herttoniemi, Helsinki.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Wade K, Guest Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello and thanks for the very in depth review, These are very appreciated, as they show exactly what we need to improve on.

You stated that the check-in, check-out rules are a little odd, maybe I can clarify the process. At 16.00, on the day of arrival, we send an SMS and an email, which has your room number, parking place (if requested), and your keyless entry code. This allows you to directly access your room.

If in the event you have trouble, you can either call our 24H customer service, or use the kiosk in the main floor elevator lobby, both go to the same place, the kiosk is free for you to use.

If you have neighbors who are disturbing your sleep, Forenom has a very strict noise policy, and if it is not followed, we will enforce it for you!

Thanks again and welcome back anytime!
Helsinki, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

The room was fine, and it was clean but by the description on the web page I was expecting a bit more of a kitchen. I stayed for 10 days and had planned to do some simple cooking. The microwave and fridge were fine, and I guess it was not realistic to think there would be a stove. However, the only sink was a very small one in the bathroom. It was hard to wash the plates because the sink was small, and there was no place to put down the dishes in the bathroom.

There was only one role of toilet paper for the whole 10 days so I had to buy some. the mirror in the bathroom is high and small so I could see just the top 2/3 of my head (and I am not especially short). It would have been nice to have a bigger mirror, maybe on the bathroom door or on the wall next to the door, or even in the hall next to the elevators.

The laundry room was nice, though the booklet in the room said there was washing powder but there was none there.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Wade K, Guest Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Hey,

Thank you for your accurate and informative feedback.

Putting a mirror in the lobby is a great idea, I will definitely look into having that done.

I will also look into having the laundry soap added to our laundry rooms and for additional toilet paper added when the stay is longer than 10 days.

This is very valuable to us, thanks again for the feedback!
Obernzell, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

When looking for an apartment for 2 days in Helsinki, Forenom house showed up in the results.
This sounded what we were looking for, a place to stay while discovering Helsinki.
The hotel is in a suburb called Hiertonnemie and easy accessible by public transport and if you have a car like we did, there is parking behind the house.
The house is a big block of apartments, not very appealing but serves the purpose.
My idea was that it is not commonly used by tourists, more by people who need a place to live in Helsinki. When we were there a large group of Russians were there who all go to work early morning.
The room is nice with crockery, microwave and kettle. Bathroom is spacious with a very small sink that needs to be used also for dishes, as that is requested.
Room has free Wifi, only problem was that there was no code, so I called the info number and got the code.
Entering the building and room is keyless. A keycode is sent to mobile phone on the day of arrival.

Supermarket 2 min walk away and plenty other shops. Also Mcdonalds and Subway restaurant within 5 min. walk.

For the not demanding traveller, who doesn't want to use a hostel or B&B, this is a great place.
I would use it again when in Helsinki

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mirka L, Public Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for your review, nice to hear your stay with us was comfortable. Welcome to stay again!
Helsinki
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I booked a room at Forenom House Helsinki because my own apartment was being renovated. The area is not really centrally located but it is really close to the subway station (100 meters) and it takes roughly 10 minutes to get downtown.

Our room was really tidy and nicely put together. This could be recommended for tourists as well as business travelers who stay a bit longer in Helsinki

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Mirka L, Public Relations Manager at Forenom House Helsinki, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that your stay was comfortable. Welcome to stay again!
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Was staying in a room for 2 with my child.
The room was beautiful and clean.
There was a mini kitchen with all the necessary things you could need and a full-size refrigerator. 2 big closets for your stuff.
There was no soap or shampoo but I knew that beforehand so I had my own. There was though fairy liquid to do the dishes.
Nearby there are shops and restaurants to go to eat.
There was a separate room to wash and iron laundry.
The bathroom was much bigger than it looked in the pictures.
One lamp in the bedside table and the floor lamp were not plugged.
But the main lamp was very powerful.
The bed was good quality.
It was very peaceful there.
Curtains were very good to make the room dark at night.
We were satisfied for our stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. Welcome to stay again!

Been to Forenom House Helsinki? Share your experiences!