“Location Location & Location” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 63 Hotels in Helsinki
London, United Kingdom
“Location Location & Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Its a Holiday Inn so you know what to expect but this one,although with that slightly "worn" look all over ,including the rooms , is slightly above the norm. The location is sensational ...at the railway station, the end of the bus line from the airport (30mins) and smack in the centre of town .Just can't be beat! Very friendly reception staff ,,cozy well appointed rooms with every usual extra...free wifi etc... its not a hotel for long stays,but a very very adequate one for just a few days with lots of places to see and do in lovely Helsinki!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
El Jadida, Morocco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

OK, I walked into this one with my eyes open. I knew that I would have to pay extra for WiFi and for breakfast on the tariff I chose - my usual hotel was fully booked and others were just too dear. But why should anyone have to pay extra for these things in a 4 star hotel in a modern capital city? As it happened, I got the WiFi for free in the end anyway, as the cabled connection broke down. The only reason I'm not giving this place 2 stars is that the incredibly nice and efficient girl on reception apologised profusely and gave me 2 days free WiFi till the problem was fixed. All the staff on the front desk were excellent, as were the breakfast people.

What else? The breakfast then. I don't think it's that much! Inexpensive hotels in Finland provide very much the same except for the overcooked bacon and hot dishes of dried up meatballs, scrambled egg and tiny frankfurters. Yes, there might be a couple of extra specialist breads/rolls and cereals or other bits and pieces, but you can only eat so much at 9 in the morning. And I've stayed at a cheap hotel in Helsinki that does the hot food too. The breakfast cost me 18 Euros. I didn't take it the second day, went out and ate better elsewhere for 12.

I didn't get any tea/coffee making equipment. What's all that about?

The room was of an adequate size, very clean and I don't worry a bit about wetroom-type bathrooms. I don't mind that you don't get individual toiletries. They only get stolen anyway!

Again, for a 4 star international hotel, the choice of TV programmes was risible. Ah, but if you wanted to pay more, you could get more, pay-to-view films and so on. I've had better TV offerings in a 3 star in Morocco.

The location is fantastically convenient, right next to where the airport bus drops you off and right by the station. You can walk to many of the sights in town and many good restaurants.

But, in the end, this is a Holiday Inn, with all that this implies. If you like the formula, than it's a place for you. I happen not to - I think it's mean, capitalistic and money-grabbing. And I disliked intensely having to leave a deposit of 100 Euros at the desk in case I took stuff from the minibar.

I really want to give this place a 2. But as I said, the staff (and the location) redeemed the premises somewhat. That's the only reason.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear John W,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I'm glad to hear you found our front desk staff agent to be personable and cheerful. We're proud of our staff. However, I would like to apologize for the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced because of the internet connection. Rest assured that the issues you have raised has been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Once again many thanks for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Janice A
Roslyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

On our way back to the US from Vienna we had an overnight stop in Helsinki. Great opportunity to see at least a part of Finland. As our luggage was going directly through to NY, we took the Finn Air bus into the city. A few steps from the bus is the train station and this hotel. Service, rooms etc. were adequete but nothing great. Biggest problem we had was the restaurant only served a steeply priced buffet. We couldn't even just get a cup of coffee and maybe a slice of toast. They served coffee in the lobby for free but when I went down to the lobby, the decanters were empty, there were no cups and they did nothing about replentishing the coffee bar. At least there is a McDonalds a block away. We walked through Helsinki, found a lovely park and had a great meal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear GrandPaRuss,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. We apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

We hope this incident did not mar your overall impression of our hotel and that you can afford us an opportunity of making it right and welcoming you back in the near future.

Ferdinand G
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

A very nice, modern Holiday Inn.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. The gym is a bit small but the location and the rooms make up for it.
Breakfast is also good, lots choices between warm options, fresh fruit and cereal.
Also, typical Finnish bread.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
West Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This hotel is perfect if you are arriving at Helsinki airport then need to get a train to another part of Finland. It is a short bus ride to the railway station from the airport and the hotel is situated right next to the railway station. It is also well situated for a Helsinki city break.We were pleased with the service and with breakfast.

Room Tip: Join the hotel reward programme, priority club!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This Holiday Inn hotel is located right next to the main train station and the bus station and the airport bus stops right outside the door. It is easy to walk to shops and restaurants and the main sights such as the harbour. There is an ironing board and iron and tea and coffee making facilities. They even had sachets of decaf coffee to my delight. The staff were friendly and helpful. On the down side the rooms really need a refurbishment. The furniture is old and tired and the wooden floors badly scratched from the chairs. The shower is one of those corner units and there was no seal, so that the water leaked all over the floor. They also had those awful shampoo dispensers. They provided you with a Discover Helsinki book, but mine was the 2012 edition. There is no security safe in the room and you have to use the antiquated system of leaving your valuables in a safety deposit box in the luggage room.

Be careful if you decide on room service. I was not told there was a 10 euro charge for this when I rang to place an order. When I checked to see if it was written anywhere, I found it on page 3 of the menu in tiny font in amongst the explanation of which foods were gluten and lactose free. This is sneaky. If you are going to charge, then be upfront about it and state it clearly at the top
of the Room Service menu.

I made 4 bookings at this hotel over a 6 week period. One night breakfast was included , but none of the others were. The nightly rate also varied enormously from $140 to $217 for a standard room with no breakfast. I would advise you to book as far in advance as possible and to include a Friday or Saturday night in your plans. My rate at the weekend was $77 less per night than during the week,

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear TravelbugVietnam,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. It was unfortunate to see your dissatisfaction with the value of the accommodations. We do appreciate the high marks for Location and Sleep Quality. We strive to be the best at what we do and your feedback is an invaluable part of that process. The reviews that we receive enable us to see where we might improve so that your future stay will be the best ever.

We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again and if there's anything we can do to make your next stay more pleasant please don't hesitate to let us know.

Adrian D.
nescio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I've stayed at the Holiday Inn City Centre Hotel in Helsinki a few times now and am well pleased with it. Pity they did not recognize me in the system as a returning guest though... Rooms are decent though not huge. Clean with good beds. Breakfast nothing special but acceptable. Very convenient parking.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre? Share your experiences!