“Beautiful and lucky to have caught the Tove Jansson exhibition!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)

Ateneum Art Museum (Konstmuseet Ateneum)
Kaivokatu 2, Helsinki FI-00100, Finland
Helsinki Card
Ranked #16 of 129 Attractions in Helsinki
Type: Art Museums, Museums
12 attraction reviews
“Beautiful and lucky to have caught the Tove Jansson exhibition!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We visited this place one afternoon to see the Tove Jansson exhibition, which exceeded our expectations! The exhibition is rich in broad material from her entire career, and also includes photos of her, art made by her family members and in cooperation with Tove as well as drawings, oil paintings, 3D models of the Moomin houses (I forget what the proper name for these is), video clips, artefacts and more. I warmly recommend it to anyone with any interest in Moomin valley, Tove Jansson, Finland and Europe during and post WWII.
Go see it!
I would also have loved to visit the rest of the museum but that will have to wait until my next visit to Finland.

• Korean first
36 attraction reviews
“Good museum, some exhibitions closed as of August 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I went to the Ateneum in August 2014. Good thing: There is a special Tove Jansson exhibition till early September. Lots of her work, and of course lots of Moomi pictures, paintings, models and effects.

Bad thing - part of the museum (2rd floor) is closed as of now for renovation. I didn't see when it would reopen. Still, lots to see on the first two floors.

This is just across the street from the railway station, trams and buses, so very easy access. Free with the Helsinki card. The museum shop also has some space to sit down and relax a bit.

Visited August 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Moomin good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

Visited Helsinki to see the Tove 100, a celebration of the work of Tove Jansson. Arrived early and left late there was so much to see. After a couple of hours we took a break and had a meal in the museum restaurant before continuing our visit. Was it worth the expense and trouble of flying in from the UK just to see it? We thought it was, of cause we made a 4 day break around the exhibition and saw some of Helsinki. A very good exhibition, pity the museum is undergoing some roof repairs so the top floor was closed so that Tove 100 was the only exhibit. The. Museum shop was doing a very good trade in Moomin artefacts and absorbed some of our cash too.

23 attraction reviews
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is a terrific art museum. We went to the Tove Jansson exhibition which was fantastic. Although we were familiar with her Moomintroll books we didn't realise what a talented and diversified artist she was.

Colorado
55 attraction reviews
“Superb Tove Jansson Exhibit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Seeing work by Tove Jansson for the first time was a great discovery for me. I found this extensive exhibit of her work totally fascinating. Seeing examples of everything from her whimsical Moomins' series to her anti-Fascist political cartoons made my visit to the Ateneum Art Museum a highlight of my day's visit to Helsinki. Since I focused on the Tove exhibit, I can not comment on the permanent exhibit.