“Good facilities but dubious upkeep” 4 of 5 stars

You added CheapSleep Helsinki to your Saves list
CheapSleep Helsinki
3.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Sturenkatu 27, Helsinki 00510, Finland   |
Helsinki, Finland
“Good facilities but dubious upkeep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Cheapsleep is affordable and incredibly well set up. Check in was easy (even at 2am) and it is accessible via public transport from just about anywhere in Helsinki. Beds are comfortable, showers clean, common area large and well equipped. My only gripe with this place is the overflowing rubbish bins and dismally dirty kitchen. However I do concede that if other lodgers cleaned up as asked it'd be much nicer for everyone. Good for the price.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Everithink new.
Clean - safe /- Huge common area - really nice new Kitchen .
Nice bath And shower.

Nice Bed.
15 minuts by Bas from the Central station.

Many bus come Here.. So good location.

• Stayed July 2012
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This was the 2nd time I have ever stayed in a hostel (the first being a couple nights before in Stockholm). It is a little ways from the city center but there is public transportation nearby. If you are coming from the ferry terminal, be aware that the line they say takes you straight to the hostel's nearby intersection only runs during "rush hours". You will have to figure out the connections.

I got back to the hostel around 4 am. I was extremely tired. At 6:48 am I was awoken by a Middle Eastern man that smelled like an ashtray. He kept asking me questions and told me he saw me walking in and out of the hostel earlier in the day. He kept pulling at my arm and trying to get me to go with him. I was so exhausted that I couldn't understand what was going on. After he kept bugging me for more than 5 minutes, I increased my tone and told him to leave me alone. He eventually walked out of the door. The people at the front had no idea. I don't know how he got in. I don't think he was staying there.

Also, another person had their expensive laptop stolen while I was staying there. I actually remembered seeing the laptop just laying out on top of the locker next to mine and thought "what an idiot..." Hostels aren't your grandmother's house...keep your belongings secure at all times...don't even turn your back on them!

I did not enjoy my stay at CheapSleep...it was beyond cheap, smelled disgusting, and was full of fresh IKEA furnishings, which is not surprising. I was not comfortable there at all and the place almost ruined my "hostel experience". The staff was fine. I had no problems checking-in. Their "front desk" needs extreme work, as it is just a makeshift workspace with everything sprawled out. This didn't make me confident of the security situation. The place is not as nice as it looks in the pictures.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

for a just opened hostel, they have everything you need. not far from the city. next door to a supermarket. close to some cool pubs and clubs. new facilities and nice kitchen. and best of all. staff who are smiling are really welcoming. my mum doesn't even make me feel that welcome. and for the price, this is where i'd come again for another trip to helsinki.

Room Tip: 26 bed dorm is fine to sleep in, because it is separated by walls to make semi-private spaces for 4...