“Cheap, but better think twice ...” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Stadion Hostel

You added Stadion Hostel to your Saves list
Stadion Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Pohjoinen Stadiontie 4, Helsinki 00250, Finland (Taka-Töölö)   |
Budapest
“Cheap, but better think twice ...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

The price is really low, so I arrived with not too high expectations. The sport facilities around are nice, it is possible to go for a jogging or to go swimming (to the Uimastadion)after a busy day. The staff was very friendly, but they also couldn't compensate the impression that this place was never ever properly cleaned. I had a really small single room that had 3 beds inside. There was almost no place for anything. I can't imagine to have 3 people in this room. The showers and toilets, kitchen were ok for this price. I had problem with sleeping since there were always people who arrived late and some who left early and were slapping the doors and there was no sound isolation to protect from noise. After a week I felt really tired and was really really happy to move out. For 1-2 days it is possible to live here, but next time I would prefer to spend a bit more, however I believe that even for this money it would be possible to keep the place cleaner if they would care a bit more. There are enough places around Finland where they can do this.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I just wanted to advice people not to stay in this hostel, it really is terrible. The staff there are really bad and they provide the worst service. Location is not great either. Definite recommend finding somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Armenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2009

After reading all the reviews from Tripadvisor I was was expecting this hostel to be the worst place of stay I have ever seen.BUT....very nice,cheap,clean,save and perfectly located hostel with Free WiFi and nice cafeteria with only 6 Euro for buffet breakfast.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Győr
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

I had the possibility to spend a whole week in the [--]hole when I was waiting for my accomodation to be ready when I was an erasmus in Helsinki. I chose this hostel because of the budget but I regretted it very much afterwards...the cheapest one in Helsinki as far as I know and the worst at the same time. I felt like in a summer camp just worse (12 girls in one room), it was pretty cold even in August (I guess the hotel was not constructed for operating during cold months) and was pretty dirty. Some of the girls (later my classmates in Helsinki) got pimples on their skins probably because of the extreme cleaniliness...right. As a summary: Avoid this place plz!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

Two friends and I booked to stay for 2 nights this weekend, excited because it’s the Olympic stadium…about the only redeeming factor.

Check in: fine - receptionist slightly rude, but mellowed out enough to give me change for some vending machine pasta for 2.5 euros and beware of the rip off coffee machine that charges you 2 euros - but there isn’t anywhere near to go to get anything decent to eat / cook in the disgusting shared kitchen.

We stayed in the gigantic 12 person dorm - we are three girls 24-27. There were two other women in the room. One was roughly our age and the other was a woman who was asleep on black rubbish bags rather than the hostel sheets. She woke up at three in the morning and kept walking around all night long - getting toilet paper and wiping down her rubbish bags, flattening them out, scrunching them back up, tucking them into the bed…all of this between 3 - 6 am. And she would scratch her body/ fart and cough so much she would gag and almost vomit.

We were so scared and horrified that as soon as day broke I went to reception to complain - the girl just informed me that she was a homeless woman and that she’d be checking out that day.

The next night; more mayhem - but only due to the size of the room, it was fully booked and there was general noise all night long.

Some guy who I had seen hanging out in the TV room came up to me having a cigarette outside and we got chatting - he is in the Finnish marines and informed me that this place is effectively where people who have nowhere else to go come. It is an over prices YMCA.

We had enough and just wanted to leave - as we were checking out we were accosted by the local Russian alcoholics - it was 10am.

It horrid, dirty, scary, and it’s worth spending a bit extra. It really was awful.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Reading, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Stayed or 3 nights in end Dec 08. It is cheap (being a Hostelling Internation member I've got an extra 2.5E discount every night as well, so 16.5E per night) and so you will get what you paid for.

Location: I didn't try to walk from the city centre to here coz it is a bit freezing...but with a easy tram ride for 5-10mins and follow by a 5-min walk you can reach the hostel.

Hostel: The dorm size is huge so even though there are 12 beds you won't feel crowded. The lockers in room are not large enough so you may wish to hire the large one in corridor for 1E per day. The shower room and toilet are just located on a corridor where everybody walk pass, and the door for shower room is unlockable, therefore I felt a bit insecure when I was showering. The kitchen is tiny, I have to use it before the peak time. Good points are that they gave you towel as well when check in and there is free wifi for your use. Staff are nice as well.

If your budget is really tight I think a short stay here is just ok, but if you can spend a bit more I suggest you search for another hostel or budget hotel.

• Liked — Cheap
  • Disliked — Shower room / Toilet / Kitchen Facilities
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Melbourne
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We stayed here because we had a major issue with an online hotel provider (Hotel Board) who decided to cancel our online booking and keep our money, without telling us of course. We only found out the day we arrived, and after checking the net, the Stadion Hostel was the last place available in Helsinki. Probably for good reason.

It is very cheap, and has some measures of security, but apart from that I wasnt thrilled. I was on level 2 with 11 other people in my dorm, my gf was on level 1 with 11 others in her dorm. The service wasnt fantastic, the rooms were barely clean, the showers and toilets were average, and the sheets provided were not clean either. I have stayed at a few hostels, and this one was by far the worst experience Ive had.

On top of this, there are no connections from the airport to the hostel, only a tram from the train station followed by a walk to get there. The only convienient way is via taxi, which defeats the purpose of saving money by staying at budget accomodation. The hotel is a former Olympic stadium, but that was the only highlight.

• Liked — It was an Olympic Stadium
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Stadion Hostel? Share your experiences!