“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Scandic Park Helsinki

Save Saved
You added Scandic Park Helsinki to your Saves list
Scandic Park Helsinki
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mannerheimintie 46, Helsinki 00260, Finland (Formerly Scandic Hotel Continental Helsinki) (Taka-Töölö)   |
Ranked #36 of 66 hotels in Helsinki
Lappeenranta, Finland
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Our room was tidy and there was plenty of room for two people. We had separate beds but I'm sure there are beds for couples as well. You might wanna ask them if you want that. For us, though, separate beds were fine. There is a free wi-fi in the room but it didn't work on my iPad. Also, the hair dryer looked like it was from 80's and it didn't work very well. The machine heated up quickly but my hair didn't dry much. The decor of the room was a little out-dated but ok. I think the decor (and hopefully the hair dryer) will change to a more modern look after the renovation, though.

The ongoing renovation didn't cause much trouble. As a light sleeper I woke up to the sound of the machines once but the noise wasn't overwhelming and I fell asleep again. No problem!

There is a gym, pool, saunas and a sun deck at the hotel. The pool was nice and the area was clean, there is also a jacuzzi, but you need to order it beforehand to use it. There is also a pricate sauna to use and a bar near the sauna. Great for different events!

Service was nice. The check-in is at 2pm but you can drop some of your luggage there before. The check-out is at noon, as they usually are.

The hotel is located quite near the centre and you can easily walk there from the railway station, for example.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

368 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Finnish first
Tampere, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Stayed in this hotel with family during our summer trip to Helsinki. It is within walking distanse to city center as well as Linnanmäki, and this was one major reason why we chose this hotel. There is renovation ongoing, but we would not have noticed it without big racks/stands outside. Inside the hotel we did not notice the renovation at all, or even did not hear any noise from it. We had a superior room which was in different wing than renovation so that might be one reason.
We were really pleased to our room. It was spacious with separate "working" area, in which there were extra beds for both of our kids. And those were real extra beds, not any opened sofas.

Brakfast (included) was typical breakfast for Scandic hotels. So plentiful and good. We also ate in the restaurant and the food was OK. We asked for different beers and as weitress told they had german "weisbier" Weihenstephan, I and my wife decided to take those. We were bit surprised for the price, which was 10€ per bottle. We would have thought 7 or maybe 8 €, but 10 was quite much. But that was our fault as we did not ask for the price beforehand...

There is also pool and saunas in the top floor which were nice to relax (or for kids to burn extra energy) before going to bed...

Room Tip: superior rooms are spacious and nice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Eurajoki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

I've stayed couple of times in Scandic Continental when there has been rock concerts in Olympic Stadium. This is ideal place to spend night because it's so close. Last time we came to hotel a bit too early and our room wasn't ready yet, so we got to sauna and pool on the top floor.

• Stayed July 2013
Jyvaskyla, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our Superior plus room was excellent, a lot of space, very clean and equipped with all necessary gears. Room was located in the 9th floor so no noise caused by the outside renovation. Reception desk was horrible, both check-in and out took a lot of time and it seemed not to be under control. Also breakfast in the morning was too busy and food was finished all the time. You had to que to get cup of coffee, okay, everything. Very annoying. Car park was not available, but we had to use another hotels car parks which were expensive. Location ok.

Room Tip: ask minimum 7th floor room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Turku, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night and I would not recommend this to anyone. At least not before the construction is finished. Loud noises start early in the morning and go on all day. Reception staff was unaware what was happening in the hotel. For example, there was three different answers to a simple question "what time is the breakfast tomorrow?".
Our room was on the third floor, just next to the construction area, and I wonder was the hotel so booked that this was the best they could offer. Bathroom was big and clean, but smelled really odd. Tv was old and all the channels were blurry. Bed on the other hand was quite comfortable.
Location is good and breakfast was very comprehensive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Helsinki, Finland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wow, has this hotel gone downhill.
I have been here before, and I remember my last visit to have been forgettable but nice.
Nothing too fancy but comfortable. It has been an OK hotel in the past.
Not anymore.

Me and my spouse we there to have a quick getaway to celebrate my birthday.
It was supposed to be a little relaxing break for just us two.
It started already when making a reservation.
It was very important to us to have our room preferences met, so I e-mailed the hotel.
I never got an answer.
(I usually always do this in the day of arrival if we're staying at a hotel and I've always received an answer within 20 minutes)
Not this time. So we just left to our birthday celebration trip without knowing, what kind of room we were gonna get.

So... we entered the hotel lobby, we were greeted by an older grumpy gentleman behind the desk. (perhaps 45-55 of age, blond)
Or, more like, we greeted him first to get him to notice us and then he sneered something back at us.
How lovely.
I had mentioned my birthday in the booking so I sort of expected them to regard it in some way....as they do in every other hotel I've ever been..
I would have appreciated even "happy birthday" and a smile at the front desk, but there was just no effort.
And that, as I was going to know, was the general party line in this hotel.
They barely endure their guests under the hotel roof but they're certainly NOT going to do anything for them, big or small.

So, I had tried to get the information out of them, was the room going to be one of our liking, but no one ever answered me. Turned out, it wasn't.
So there was a problem, and they tried to resolve it by treating two of their guests like air and just hope they would shut up about it.
We didn't. We got our room, but had to pay 15 euros extra.
(It didn't occur to them that they could've granted this little luxury for the birthday girl)

So we got our keycards (front desk personnel had lost interest after he tossed our keys in front of us, so we thanked his back for giving us our keys)

Our room was filled with tobacco stench and though the AC was effective and very cold, it couldn't lose the smell.
It was very basic room, there was only one pillow per person, one towel per person, one hand towel per person etc.
Tried to contact the front desk, no answer.
I was very sorry when we had to disturb the overworked maid with our requests, at least she was nice. So we got our extra towels and extra pillows and headed to our room.
We found robes but not slippers to go with them.
Maid had finished so I tried to contact the front desk again. This time someone answered.
I was told we could buy the cheap looking white slippers with hotel logo on them from the shop at the lobby. We decided.to pass.

It was time to go to swim and visit sauna. (wearing our bath robes and our shoes :)
The 2 stars in my review are for the pool ; it was nice and big, unlike the most hotel pools.
We spent some lovely time there and it was very refreshing.
Sauna however was not as lovely, it was small and didn't warm to high enough temperatures.
It was more like just a warm room.

We went to bath when having arrived to our room again.
The soap and shampoo were in big dispensers and not in little tubes as usual.
There were not toothbrush, body lotion or shaving equipment in the room.

Later on, when we went to sleep, I noticed I couldn't.
The air-con was way too cold and my arms started to ache (and I'm a young woman, so definitely not a smoking room for any elder travelers) .. I couldn't sleep for the whole night.
I figured maybe I could stay awake until the breakfast and then have a big nap after it.
front desk : " yeeeah, we have been given instructions that we HAVE TO charge 10 euros per an hour per person for extension..."
..So I would've have to pay 40euros extra if I wanted to have a bit of sleep and stay until 2pm ?
Needless to say, we had no deal.
Again, it didn't occur to them to waive this little fee for their loyal customer celebrating her birthday..?
I was a little shocked, since I've always got it, free of charge in the other chains.
I always ask nicely for a possibility to extension, when I'm traveling and I has always been possible to arrange. Every time.
This was Monday and hotel was half empty. But then they would have lost a valuable opportunity to pocket the 40 extra euros of customers money if they'd made them a favor.. I totally get it.

The breakfast was below average.
No service to the table, there was no bacon and scrambled eggs had been made from powder.
Cold cuts, breads and juice were good.

We got back into our room right after breakfast, got our bags
and got out of there, back home to sleep.

Cheers, Scandic Continental, you obviously have enough customers already that put up with the "care" they receive; we'll give the other hotels a chance next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Great Totham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

The location is good for the city centre. Buy a bus pass, hop on the tram outside and you're in the centre in a few minutes. The trams are great. Very punctual. The hotel is not cheap, not much is cheap in Helsinki. My single room was small again, my second stay here. You don't get tea and coffee in the room and I only had a shower, no bath. Only BBC World News on the TV, so not much entertainment. No air con either. Nice and quiet though, so I slept we'll each night.
On the plus side, dinner and breakfast were very good. Dinner was reasonably priced and very appetising, breakfast is a buffet and is informal. There are also two terminals adjacent to the reception with free Internet and a selection of books to read. Staff are very good, excellent English and very efficient. Check in and out was fine. Overall, a good experience.

Room Tip: Singe rooms seem small but doubles seemed ok. My room was at the back and was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Scandic Park Helsinki? Share your experiences!