I recently spent 3 nights in this hotel, and while I essentially approve, there are three basic things they should sort out:
1. It says on their website that they have air-conditioning. They do not.
We booked this hotel with the heat-wave in Finland (July 2014) in mind, and when we got there we found our tiny room as hot as a baker's oven. We arrived late and thought that the ac dial on the wall just needed adjustment and the ac needed some time to "cool the room down," but nothing happened. By around 2.45am, my smartphone read the temperature to 29.9c.
We basically didn't sleep that night!
We explained this to the concierge, whom admitted that it is not an AC, but a "ventilation system." Fine, but don't say that you have AC when you don't...
We were offered a free upgrade to premium room (20EUR worth), which we appreciated. This room was better as it faced the courtyard and the "ventilation" seemed to work better there.
2. They have diabolical coffee. If all else fails, make sure you serve good coffee!!
I am Scandinavian myself, and accustomed to all sorts of coffee, from the bitter tar that people sweeten with sugar, the filter-drip juice of the canteens to the strong heart-attack inducing cafetieres of the more open-minded. But this was just terrible.
3. Their pillows are horrible. Imagine the cheapest IKEA pillows, with balls of polyester rumbling around. Not cool.
On the bright side, it has modern decoration, free Wifi, it is (mostly, apart from some scary hairs) clean, and has a jolly breakfast room. Not to all tastes, definitely very "Nordic", but healthy and decent. And it is conveniently located.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Casual Elegance inspired by Finnish Design and Nature! Only 250 metres from Kamppi Metro Station, privately owned Hotel Helka offers 150 functional rooms, fine dining and a cozy street bar. All the rooms have design furniture and a strong sense of Finnish nature. All of the rooms have air-cooling system, minibars and flat-screen TVs. Breakfast buffet, use of Sauna and WiFi connection are complimentary for all guests. Hotel Helka is housed in a refurbished 1920s building. The bright rooms feature decor by Artek and other well-known Finnish design brands and designers. Helkan Keittio Restaurant serves Finnish cuisine based on fresh, locally sourced ingredients such as fish, game, mushrooms and berries. Guests can enjoy drinks and snacks in Helka’s trendy Lobby Bar, which also features a cigar room. Helka’s central location provides easy access to shopping, dining and culture. Helsinki Central Station is 10 minute walk away. Welcome to the Heart of Helsinki! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Hotel.de, Despegar.com, Agoda, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Helka Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Helka Hotel Helsinki