“Could be better if they got 3 basic things right!” 3 of 5 stars

Helka Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pohjoinen Rautatiekatu 23, Helsinki 00100, Finland   |
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Could be better if they got 3 basic things right!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I recently spent 3 nights in this hotel, and while I essentially approve, there are three basic things they should sort out:

1. It says on their website that they have air-conditioning. They do not.
We booked this hotel with the heat-wave in Finland (July 2014) in mind, and when we got there we found our tiny room as hot as a baker's oven. We arrived late and thought that the ac dial on the wall just needed adjustment and the ac needed some time to "cool the room down," but nothing happened. By around 2.45am, my smartphone read the temperature to 29.9c.
We basically didn't sleep that night!
We explained this to the concierge, whom admitted that it is not an AC, but a "ventilation system." Fine, but don't say that you have AC when you don't...
We were offered a free upgrade to premium room (20EUR worth), which we appreciated. This room was better as it faced the courtyard and the "ventilation" seemed to work better there.

2. They have diabolical coffee. If all else fails, make sure you serve good coffee!!
I am Scandinavian myself, and accustomed to all sorts of coffee, from the bitter tar that people sweeten with sugar, the filter-drip juice of the canteens to the strong heart-attack inducing cafetieres of the more open-minded. But this was just terrible.

3. Their pillows are horrible. Imagine the cheapest IKEA pillows, with balls of polyester rumbling around. Not cool.

On the bright side, it has modern decoration, free Wifi, it is (mostly, apart from some scary hairs) clean, and has a jolly breakfast room. Not to all tastes, definitely very "Nordic", but healthy and decent. And it is conveniently located.

Room Tip: If you do stay here, chose a premium room and make sure you face the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I have visited hotel Helka many times during the last years. The staff is always very friendly. The rooms are comfortable and the style is very Finnish. I can highly recommend the hotel. The breakfast is good. Also dinner can be recommended.

• Stayed July 2014
Geelong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I had chosen the Helka Hotel based on Trip Advisor reviews but it exceeded my expections. The staff are attentive to making your stay as enjoyable as possible. I spent 4 days at the start of 2 months in Europe and returned for my last night. On my return the temperature was 30+ and the air conditioner had been turned on in my room before my arrival.
The design features in the room which made a small room seem large could have keep me indoors appreciating them if Helsinki was not such a beautiful city. I loved lying in bed looking up at the huge canvas of a Finland landscape.
I walked everywhere from this hotel. There is a pedestrian walkway in from of the hotel which leads you almost to the train station, bus station and Finnair bus to the airport. I even managed this walk with all my luggage.
I travel extensively and have stayed in numerous deluxe hotels, but the Helka is now my favourite hotel. Thank goodness I also loved Finnair so I will be back as soon as possible.

Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Belka is within walking distance from the central bus station (one of trashiest I have seen) and attractions. Don't be fooled by its unattractive exterior and lobby, as the room interior is much better - clean, efficient and thoughtful. (I would not pick the reverse.) I was able to walk to most attractions without even taking transit in the four days in Helsinki. Staff was helpful and knowledgeable. Breakfast was nutritious and varied. And the price is right!

Vaasa, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We spent 2 nights in this hotel to celebrate my birthday.We were really impressed with this hotel;the staff was efficient and friendly,the room clean and very quiet and furnished according to Finnish design.The reception area is welcoming,on the 6th floor there is a small but new and clean sauna.The hotel is located right in the center of the city.Breakfast was spectacular with Finnish berries,porridge,many types of bread,cheeses,sausages,piirakka,eggs,cakes and fruits.
The clientele is mainly Japanese,which seems to have an affinity to Finnish character.
We highly recommend this hotel and we'll surely come back.We found also a good price on the internet.

Helsinki
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Very easy to be located, approx. 6 min walk from central station and 2 min walk from Kamppi shopping mall/ bus station. Good services from the staff. Very nice, modern and clean room with comfortable and spacious shower room. Breakfast was good with varieties. Worth the money!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to Helka Hotel? Share your experiences!