“Great Staff but Need Update to Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #16 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Mason City, Iowa
“Great Staff but Need Update to Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed for three nights at the Hilton Strand. The staff gave us a quick check in, and we were given a room with a great view of the harbor. Since we're gold Hilton Hhonors members we were given breakfast every day. This was fantastic! The variety was excellent and we looked forward to a great start each day with their sumptuous breakfast. One side note...We are gold members of Hhonors; however, we were not given an upgrade to executive floor; hence, we could not take advantage of the executive lounge. We are given access to it at most Hilton locations in Europe, so we were surprised not to be given that upgrade. The room's carpet, as mentioned in previous reviews looks a little long in the tooth, a bit dated and worn. The air conditioning is loud, and it does not provide much cooling. We'd open the window, but we kept getting mosquitoes in the room. If they could turn the temp down a notch, that would have made our stay so much better. All in all, the location was perfect. We took the 615 bus from the airport and got off the Hakeimia (sp) stop and walked down the street and around the corner...about 4 minutes in all. To walk to Market square, it generally took about 15 minutes. We'd stay there again, but we hope they take care of the air conditioning issues and the worn out carpet in the rooms.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor on the harbor side
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank yo for your feedback about your stay with us!

Great to hear that your stay with us was enjoyable for the most part! I am sorry to hear you were disappointed about not being upgraded to an Executive Room. I looked into this and it turns out that the hotel was fully booked when you arrived and therefore we did not have availability on the Executive floor.

Aircoditioning is something our maintenance department monitors on a regular basis as we do want to ensure everyone in the hotel is comfortable.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will stay with us again in the future!

Daniela Öhman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mechelen, B
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

On the upside, nice design of the inner atrium. And that's about it for the positive points.
Because, come on, 10 Euros for internet connectivity on top of the already steep room price? And is so slow that sending a simple e-mail fails more often than not?
Airco so noisy you cannot keep it on at night? And even when it is blowing not able to cool the room on a mildly hot evening?
Three power cuts in 24 hours time?
In short, you get the real Hilton experience here: a hotel that relies on business people who are forced to stay there because their company has a fixed contract with Hilton, but that is way too expensive and totally not worth it for anyone else.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments here on TripAdvisor!

I was disappointed to hear that your stay with us went less than smoothly and left you feeling dissatisfied. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you faced during your stay. Powercuts are unfortunately something we cannot foresee in advance and rarely happen, this was an unusual situation with several of them in such a short time. Our staff do of course investigate staright away as it affects not just the comfort of our guests but also other activities at the hotel.

The internet connection is something we are also looking into with the provider as we can appreciate the importance of it functioning well.

It is important to us that our guests feel comfortable in their rooms so the airconditioning is something our maintenance department is investigating and monitoring on a regular basis.

Our rates vary from day to day and I can assure you we regard guests who travel for leisure purposes equally important to business travellers.

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention and I hope to assure you that many of these incidents unfortunately coincided at the time rather than being the norm.

We apprciate that you stayed with us and do hope you will re-consider staying with us also in the future!

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

However I'd you get a room with a canal view it's worth the short walk or tram ride into town. The hotel is somewhat ageing, but the rooms are fine. The staff at the front desk were great, helping With the intermittent free wifi and restaurant suggestions. The breakfasts set you up for the day. There is pool, but v small. If you are a tourist, worth getting the day travel card and taking the number 3 tram on a circular route.

Room Tip: Front facing
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your for taking the time to post your comments!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the stay and the views from the room. And it was very rewarding to hear that our staff has made a positive difference to your stay!

We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your stay and hope you will be back again soon!

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This is not my first time staying at Hilton Strand. The hotel really needs upgrading. The room was clean but on the whole quite old and had a musky smell. Despite
indicating in my previous reviews that the hotel really needed to offer free wifi, nothing much has been done.

This time around I felt compelled to write a review and praise the front desk for their super service for business visitors. I needed urgent documents to be printed and hotel did it for me free of charge and very efficiently. Also I was rushing off for meetings and has no time for breakfast. I was helpfully offered a free coffee and a muffin from the buffet when I asked to take away a quick toast.
Hotel may not be great but service may be what encourages people to return.

• Stayed June 2013
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay!

We are very happy indeed to hear that the level of service was of a high standard during your trip! Great to hear that our members of staff were able to help and make your stay more convenient. Thank you also for your comments about the internet, we appreciate this feedback and do take it seriously. It is however, at this time still the policy of the company which we adher to, and we hope that the free internet in the public areas, the meeting rooms and Executive rooms and Suites offer some beneft to you.

We appreciate your stay and do hope you will be back again soon!

Wanne-Eickel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

The best thing about the hotel is its location. Close to Hakaniemi square the city center is in walking distance and the hotel has a direct bus connection to the airport. The building is from around the 70s and has in some parts detoriated by now.
If you don't look at the price the hotel offers reasonable quality: The rooms are rather spacious and mostly clean, the breakfast offers above average (for Finland!) selection and quality and they offer a sauna (expected in Finland), pool and gym.
If you do care for the price things are not what you expect: The air-condition is noisy, the bathroom is old-fashioned, the hairdryer is a joke. At 190€ per night you would expect free WLAN (10€ per day, the free lobby internet unaccessible). The breakfast doesn't meet continental standards, the minibar is small. The pool is only 10x3 m. You can also signs of the age of the hotel everywhere.
If you really want to stick to the Hilton you'd better choose the Hilton at the airport

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review about your stay with us!

I was sorry to hear you felt it was not worth the rate you paid. The building is from the mid-80s and even though there are certain structural elements which we cannot change over a short period of time, we do work hard on keeping everything that we can influence to a high standard. We appreciate your thoughts on breakfast, the room and the internet and I can assure you that your comments will be reviewed.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope we will have a chance to welcome you again!

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I've started to judge my hotel stays based on self-invented Hair-test and Lipstick-test because they pretty much tell me about the cleanliness of the hotel which again means comfortability for me.

This hotel passed the Hair-test which simply means I did not see (any kind of foreign) hair between the bed sheets nor in the bathroom. Nothing puts me off more than other people's hair in the room. Points to Hilton Strand for keeping the sheets hairless and cleaning the bathroom without leaving odd hairs behind.

The Lipstick-test tells about the cleanliness of the glasses and eating utensil in the restaurants and in the room (if applicable). Unfortunately Hilton Strand failed this test. First thing I noticed when I sat at the breakfast table was an empty glass with remains of pink lipstick and when i reached for another glass, it had remains of dried orange juice. Unfortunately I didn't have time to change my glass before a waitress already came and grabbed the glass and poured some juice for me. (She did apologise for the lipstick marks but didn't see the stains in the other one.)
Sorry, but I am very picky on these things!

The hotel is perfectly located, walking distance from the city centre and easy access to buses, trams and subway (metro).
The Hakaniemi market square is just across the street and I actually walked there in the morning for another coffee after hotel breakfast. It was perfect in a warm summer morning (and mind me, the coffee was served in a paper cup, no lipstick marks!)

I do admit I expected more from a HIlton hotel but I still ended up giving 4 points overall to my stay because of the great location and very friendly service at the front desk. I was especially thankful that they found me a room at 8 AM when I arrived at the hotel after 12 hrs flight.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback here on TripAdvisor!

We very much appreciate the high score we received despite there being certain issues during your stay. Cleanliness is of utmost importance for us, whether it is in the room or any of the public areas or the restaurant. We are of course happy that the room was in the shape it should be but I would like to apologise for the below standard situation with the glasses at breakfast. Your comments have been forwarded to the food and beverage department to ensure that the tableware is checked more thoroughly.

We appreciate your stay with us and we do hope you will consider our hotel for future visits as well!

Oulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here just for one night in May, and the hotel offered all I wanted. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and so was the bed. View to the bay was nice. Tram, bus and metro stop is near, including the airport bus 615 stop. Nice garden in Kaisaniemi just over the bridge. The staff was friendly and efficient. Newspapers were free to all customers -very pleasant, as we had a long journey to go by train.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments!

We are so glad to hear your stay met your expectations and that everything went well! The location is indeed great, we do have fairly large rooms according to European standards and our beds are also quite new. We also highly appreciate your kinds words about our staff as it is after all the people who make you feel welcome.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope your travels will bring you back to our hotel again!

Yours sincerely,

Daniela Öhman

Been to Hilton Helsinki Strand? Share your experiences!