“Passed the Hair-test but not the Lipstick-test” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Helsinki
Singapore, Singapore
“Passed the Hair-test but not the Lipstick-test”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I've started to judge my hotel stays based on self-invented Hair-test and Lipstick-test because they pretty much tell me about the cleanliness of the hotel which again means comfortability for me.

This hotel passed the Hair-test which simply means I did not see (any kind of foreign) hair between the bed sheets nor in the bathroom. Nothing puts me off more than other people's hair in the room. Points to Hilton Strand for keeping the sheets hairless and cleaning the bathroom without leaving odd hairs behind.

The Lipstick-test tells about the cleanliness of the glasses and eating utensil in the restaurants and in the room (if applicable). Unfortunately Hilton Strand failed this test. First thing I noticed when I sat at the breakfast table was an empty glass with remains of pink lipstick and when i reached for another glass, it had remains of dried orange juice. Unfortunately I didn't have time to change my glass before a waitress already came and grabbed the glass and poured some juice for me. (She did apologise for the lipstick marks but didn't see the stains in the other one.)
Sorry, but I am very picky on these things!

The hotel is perfectly located, walking distance from the city centre and easy access to buses, trams and subway (metro).
The Hakaniemi market square is just across the street and I actually walked there in the morning for another coffee after hotel breakfast. It was perfect in a warm summer morning (and mind me, the coffee was served in a paper cup, no lipstick marks!)

I do admit I expected more from a HIlton hotel but I still ended up giving 4 points overall to my stay because of the great location and very friendly service at the front desk. I was especially thankful that they found me a room at 8 AM when I arrived at the hotel after 12 hrs flight.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your feedback here on TripAdvisor!

We very much appreciate the high score we received despite there being certain issues during your stay. Cleanliness is of utmost importance for us, whether it is in the room or any of the public areas or the restaurant. We are of course happy that the room was in the shape it should be but I would like to apologise for the below standard situation with the glasses at breakfast. Your comments have been forwarded to the food and beverage department to ensure that the tableware is checked more thoroughly.

We appreciate your stay with us and we do hope you will consider our hotel for future visits as well!

Daniela Öhman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Oulu
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed here just for one night in May, and the hotel offered all I wanted. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable, and so was the bed. View to the bay was nice. Tram, bus and metro stop is near, including the airport bus 615 stop. Nice garden in Kaisaniemi just over the bridge. The staff was friendly and efficient. Newspapers were free to all customers -very pleasant, as we had a long journey to go by train.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments!

We are so glad to hear your stay met your expectations and that everything went well! The location is indeed great, we do have fairly large rooms according to European standards and our beds are also quite new. We also highly appreciate your kinds words about our staff as it is after all the people who make you feel welcome.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope your travels will bring you back to our hotel again!

SCUNTHORPE, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

A very nice quiet hotel with a tram stop and supermarket close by, it also has a 12.00 check out which is better than many hotels and which i found very usefull as my plane home was not until 14.00. I also used the 3 day Helsinki pass for free entry to the city museums, city tour and tram rides which saved money.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your stay in Helsinki and at our hotel!

Great to hear you had a good time in Helsinki and that the location of the hotel and the check out time was convenient for you. Thank you also for the useful tips about the city pass, this will be very useful for other travellers, I'm sure.

We appreciate that you chose our hotel and we hope you will be back another time!

KUWAIT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel has a nice location but its a good 15-20 minute walk from the downtown area. It was built towards the end of the 80's and it shows. No re-modelling has been done so U do get the 80s feel.showing a bit of age.
I had a large room with sea view which was beautiful. for who dosent like the European style hotels this is the one large room !
The hotel is super clean and the staff lovely. The breakfast buffet was excellent as well as snacks and hors d'oeuvres served in the executive room in the evening.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
DanielaOhman, Sales and Marketing Co-ordinator at Hilton Helsinki Strand, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting comments about your stay with us!

We are glad to hear you enjoyed the room and that the food was up to your expectations. We are especially pleased with your comments about the staff, they are after all a curcial part of making your stay successful.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again!

Haifa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was my first time in a Hilton. The hotel is well located close to the city center and main central station with connection to all regional amenities. The rooms are clean but a bit small (actually not to much room to move around) but comfortable. Breakfast is abundant and typical for an hotel of this type. Yet, the hotel is a bit outdated in general with a traditional style decoration. The spa is extremely small and there is no place for training. I enjoyed my stay and will recommend it for those who look for 80's charm.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your stay!

We are glad to hear that you found the location to be convenient and the room clean and that your first stay at Hilton seems to have been good overall. We appreciate your comments about the breakfast as well as the gym and sauna facilities, and will review these as well.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will be back for another visit in the future!

United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Bath blocked by earlier guest/s hair and stained bed cover/floor - quite vomit-worthy. Given lounge access and late checkout but no response from manager during stay. Housekeeper told us that she cannot control outsourced cleaning company, but I don't believe they would manage the plumbing. Did receive email apology when contacted them later but put off going again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback about your stay!

I would like to offer my sincere apologies on behalf of the hotel for the state of the bathroom and the covers. This is of course unacceptable and has been thoroughly reviewed with the head of the housekeeping department. Even though the housekeeping department is outsourced we do have supervisers in place to ensure that the standard for cleanliness is kept at all times. We appreciate you having contacting us separately with regards to this so that we can ensure all our staff members are reminded of the standard we want to maintain.

Thank you for staying with us and we do of course hope you will give us another chance to show you the standard we wish to keep at all times!

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The staff at this hotel are very good, but hotel rooms themselves are very outdated, it's a bit like going back in time! The view from my room was excellent, it was overlooking the river and I had great big windows which made the room nice and light. It was a good size and clean, despite all the stains on the carpet.
There is a small gym, a sauna and a very very small pool. If you want to go for a run, if you can, go outside! The city is a great place to go running.
Breakfast was reasonable, there was plenty of choice and staff were very helpful.
The hotel is about a 10-15 minute walk from the town and I walked everywhere.
There is a charge for 10 euros a day for wireless internet which I think is a lot, and if you have an iPhone or iPad, you have to keep connecting to it which is quite frustrating. You don't always get the best signal which is poor considering the cost.
I had a good stay, but I think next time I would opt for somewhere a bit more modern.

Room Tip: Try and get a river view room looking out of the front of the hotel.